Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is AIR getting better in the Pro era? Thoughts of little steps.....
Hmm, well I am no techie and much of what you guys discuss here is Greek to me and just flows over my head. I admit I am frequently indebted to my friend, a member here and fellow Devialet owner who is a computer engineer.

So, in my simplistic way, since Roon introduced direct streaming to Devialet Air, I have been comparing this direct feed via Ethernet with my mRendu, also directly Ethernet fed. I have fast broadband and also use a Sonore SonicTransporter. The mRendu is furnished with a quality Long Dog Audio LPS. The USB cable is basic standard. There is a Gigabit switch in the line and I read earlier that my Expert 220 Pro probably does not accommodate that?

Anyway, bypassing the switch and feeding Roon directly (Ethernet) into Air seemed to work OK on basic settings, although I felt the sound was better resolved through the mRendu. When dsp was switched on in Roon, I suffered regular 'scratching' and drop outs. I could only use the direct connection satisfactorily with dsp disabled. In contrast, running through the mRendu, it is totally stable including with dsp switched on and the splitter switch in circuit.

Oh, and I really like it this way. For the time being, I'm sticking with this. The sound through mRendu with dsp switched in is the best I can get and it is absolutely stable. It gives me the best 3D imaging with individual sound sources well in their own space, sound stage width and depth and a general sense of authoritive sound that seems simply right. I know it's right because I want to have it playing all the time. To me, in my system, Roon/Air seems to me to be the poor relation. I am hoping this will change when the new streaming board arrives.

All this using DIY quality loudspeakers which as yet have not been SAM'd and as you might expect, DIY cables.

I'll be interested in what others think about my take on all this.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is AIR getting better in the Pro era? Thoughts of little steps..... - by Greg - 27-Jul-2017, 22:40