Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
We have finally reached the point where one or two Pro owners are getting their amps returned with the Devialet OS Core Infinity board installed.  I thought it would be useful to have a new thread to capture user reviews and listening impressions.

In particular, I think comparative reviews are useful.  There is a whole range of kit out there that people use with their Devialets, such as Melcos, Aurenders, Mutecs and a whole lot more, but very many of us will eventually have the Core Infinity board which can therefore act as a consistent reference point and benchmark to the other alternatives.  Just how good will the new board prove to be?  What kind of kit will it take to beat it for ultimate sound quality?  The answers to these questions could be very interesting and useful to us all, indeed, it could save a few of us from making mistakes with expensive but disappointing purchases in the future.

To be honest, I suspect that this thread might prove to be a little bit of a 'slow burner'.  I am sure that the initial impressions will come, but the full potential of the OS Board may only become apparent as the software matures and more options for use become available.  For example, I suspect that it will be many months before we will be able to try proper Roon RAAT versus Roon integrated AIR, but this will come in time.

I am also hoping that we can all be reasonably disciplined ant try to keep this thread mainly to listening impressions and sound quality observations.  Well, I can at least hope!  I suspect that there is a risk of the thread filling up with technical issues, trouble shooting and maybe little a bit of complaining, it is the nature of the beast, but it should be easy enough to segregate this stuff into a separate thread or two.

So, if you have got you lovely new OS Board up and running and producing glorious smusic, let us know what you think.  Plus, if you happen to have an Aurender W20 or something sitting on a shelf, how does it sound in comparison?

It is also good that I can sign off in this first post with something very positive.  I think forum poster markush was first to actually have a listen to his own OS board and post his thoughts, stating 'the new board is so amazingly great in sound quality!!  Never ever would have expected that big improvement.' 

So kudos to Markus for being the first to have a listen, and it is great to see that the initial impressions at least are looking positive.  I wonder how this one will develop?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It's really exciting and I am sure the community will enjoy it very much. Stay tuned for more - Devialet engineers are working night & day / all weekend to achieve a good progress in the software.
Maybe I missed it but do you work for Devialet?
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
(25-Nov-2017, 17:48)Dan Wrote: Maybe I missed it but do you work for Devialet?

No, just providing them with some (hopefully) valuable feedback in various areas.
I am also in close contact with Roon - really great to see their ongoing commitment for the Devialet partnership. So it was much more time consuming - but the future will be bright for Expert Line users.
(25-Nov-2017, 17:18)markush Wrote: It's really exciting and I am sure the community will enjoy it very much. Stay tuned for more - Devialet engineers are working night & day / all weekend to achieve a good progress in the software.

Markhus

Not asking you to give away any Devialet secrets, but with the current and proposed features of of the CI board/Software do you think it would be feasible to run music direct to the Pros with no need for a seperate streamer, and not using AIR (or whatever it's new name is).

If not possible, and stil need to use AIR, is the SQ on par or better than with a good streamer (dCS, Aurender, Antipodes, Melco, etc.)

Not wanting to get in to the whats best connection - AES/USB/Ethernet, just asking would it be feasible?
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(25-Nov-2017, 17:18)markush Wrote: It's really exciting and I am sure the community will enjoy it very much. Stay tuned for more - Devialet engineers are working night & day / all weekend to achieve a good progress in the software.

I think one of the most important questions (for me at least) is whether the CI, streaming Roon/AIR or eventually RAAT, will do better than going through the Mutec (or Total DAC) reclocker. For the Mutec and a few others there is also the option of the REF10. I do not think the Total DAC has a word clock input, yet.
There are several Devialet Pro users with Mutecs in their system on DC, even some with REF10. We will know the answer to this soon. I've postponed my CI installation to end of January so I am looking forward to reports from you all. The question is:

Is there a reclocker on the CI board?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I know about community's enthusiasm for the Mutec, but I don't own one myself.
Will try to check with Devialet to get more feedback on hardware internals.
(26-Nov-2017, 12:36)ogs Wrote:

I think one of the most important questions (for me at least) is whether the CI, streaming Roon/AIR or eventually RAAT, will do better than going through the Mutec (or Total DAC) reclocker. For the Mutec and a few others there is also the option of the REF10. I do not think the Total DAC has a word clock input, yet.
There are several Devialet Pro users with Mutecs in their system on DC, even some with REF10. We will know the answer to this soon. I've postponed my CI installation to end of January so I am looking forward to reports from you all. The question is:

Is there a reclocker on the CI board?

As a Mutec/Refrence 10 user, a 10Mhz work clock input on the CI board would have been great - but lacking that, I will be interested to see if the word clock for the DAC section is provided by the current clock (on the main board) or if the CI provides a clock source . .
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
I don't understand the idea of listening impressions of a streaming board....
Um... what part of the idea is it that you do not understand?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB