Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those who EQ your Phantoms, what do you do?
Greetings, for those if you so do EQ your Phantoms, wondering what kind if EQ you apply?  And is your Phantom white, silver or gold?

I thought it may be helpful to get a thread to see what users are doing with EQ.

For me, I would actually increase mids and bass... or reduce the hot trebles in my golds.
Or
(26-Nov-2017, 22:18)MountainGuy Wrote: Greetings, for those if you so do EQ your Phantoms, wondering what kind if EQ you apply?  And is your Phantom white, silver or gold?

I thought it may be helpful to get a thread to see what users are doing with EQ.

For me, I would actually increase mids and bass... or reduce the hot trebles in my golds.
Or

I EQ my Golds with Roon. I use the FIR filters to compensate room modes and from time to time use parametric EQ in Roon to lower the hights or increase bass in older recordings. I used an excellent service HAF https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/english/home/ that made exellent filters from my room recordings I made with REW. EQ is great for improvements of SQ when applied with moderation and experience.
Thanks. Helpful.

Love to hear from others too.
I used a dspeaker anti mode 2 to dial out a mid bass peak or 2 which really bought some other freq to life

I fiddled with ad hoc tilt and bass adjustment but only for TV really

If I want to play loud and reduce bass for the sake of the neighbours - I just use night mode in Spark which seems great Smile
I’m using MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI units, loaded with FIRs, generated using REW and Rephase in an iterative process, to create a ‘flat’ amplitude response. I can then use the units’ PEQ to apply upto 4 tuning curves.
Hope to use Rephase to also apply phase corrections in the near future.

I have Silvers and Whites but will be ‘golding’ these soon so I am interested in how different the measurements will be.
(26-Nov-2017, 22:18)MountainGuy Wrote: Greetings, for those if you so do EQ your Phantoms, wondering what kind if EQ you apply?  And is your Phantom white, silver or gold?

Or

I use a Sonos Connect to EQ my phantoms.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Doesn't connect only do bass and treble right? It can't so the room tuning right?
I use Audyssey, Roon, and Dspeaker antimode in combo with an outboard frequency analyzer, and a lot of fiddling with time alignment placement of the Golds and slap echo and comb filters. It's a lifelong hobby.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
(28-Nov-2017, 23:25)MountainGuy Wrote: Doesn't connect only do bass and treble right? It can't so the room tuning right?

Doesn't do room tuning... it has bass, treble and a "loudness" feature.  I find using the loudness feature results in a very pleasing sound in my rooms.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Thanks. Yes, the loudness will help. Surprisingly, I find my gold very bass and lower mid shy, so much so that Sonos sounds better in some rooms because of their more balanced frequency response.