Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(08-Apr-2018, 10:17)thumb5 Wrote: It does prompt the question: if he's so concerned about his music not "sounding digital" then why doesn't he just use an analog system?  I have no clue what he's trying to say, really.

He does almost explain his uses of the term less digital, following with terms like less harsh, more natural, more fluid, etc.  Of course, sound is analogue, so I guess this is about what comes out of your digital to analogue converter sounding more like music and less like noise.  You do want it to sound more like the analogue output than the digital input, although you never hear the 1's and 0's as such, which makes the 'less digital' term a bit silly.  I would agree that the term 'digital' is misused in this context, but in fairness, I have used it myself where harshness and distortion would be more accurate.  You could use the term 'less digital' to mean more noise, hiss, crackles, hum and so on.  I know what he means though, more natural, more like something from a musical instrument, less like something from a computer, unless you are listening to Kraftwerk of course.

That said, I would not necessarily believe what I read in a review, and this reviewer is one that I might trust less than some others.....

I still like the idea of a simple product that can offer 100% noise free Ethernet, it is just a case of which one.  I would prefer some carefully performed and relevant measurements over the words of Michael Lavorgna (or anyone else) when deciding which one is best though.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - by Confused - 08-Apr-2018, 12:10