Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
Arguably off topic, but maybe not. If you consider that an 'Audiophile' Ethernet switch has two main jobs, firstly to faithfully transfer the bits, and secondly to eliminate any noise from the nasty computer side of your system so it does not upset the delicate super clean audio side. We could argue about clocking etc., but this is Ethernet packet data.

Anyway, this has come to light this week. It looks rather brutal, but in a foo-free and satisfyingly substantial way, although I am not sure if the welder was completely sober.

The DJM Electronics GigaFOILv4, snappy name eh?

https://www.audiostream.com/content/djm-...net-filter

I wonder how it might compare to the Etalon, Pink Faun and other similar items? (although the Pink Faun is a little smaller)

https://www.pinkfaun.com/index.php/produ...-rj45.html
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It does prompt the question: if he's so concerned about his music not "sounding digital" then why doesn't he just use an analog system? I have no clue what he's trying to say, really.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(08-Apr-2018, 10:17)thumb5 Wrote: It does prompt the question: if he's so concerned about his music not "sounding digital" then why doesn't he just use an analog system?  I have no clue what he's trying to say, really.

He does almost explain his uses of the term less digital, following with terms like less harsh, more natural, more fluid, etc.  Of course, sound is analogue, so I guess this is about what comes out of your digital to analogue converter sounding more like music and less like noise.  You do want it to sound more like the analogue output than the digital input, although you never hear the 1's and 0's as such, which makes the 'less digital' term a bit silly.  I would agree that the term 'digital' is misused in this context, but in fairness, I have used it myself where harshness and distortion would be more accurate.  You could use the term 'less digital' to mean more noise, hiss, crackles, hum and so on.  I know what he means though, more natural, more like something from a musical instrument, less like something from a computer, unless you are listening to Kraftwerk of course.

That said, I would not necessarily believe what I read in a review, and this reviewer is one that I might trust less than some others.....

I still like the idea of a simple product that can offer 100% noise free Ethernet, it is just a case of which one.  I would prefer some carefully performed and relevant measurements over the words of Michael Lavorgna (or anyone else) when deciding which one is best though.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Often audio products get compared to medical grade products so why not go medical? It comes with technical specs too.

http://baaske-medical.de/en/isolation/?p=1
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(09-Apr-2018, 11:18)Pim Wrote: Often audio products get compared to medical grade products so why not go medical? It comes with technical specs too.

http://baaske-medical.de/en/isolation/?p=1

If you follow John Swenson at Computer Audiophile you will see him testing the Baaske isolator and it does reduce the leakage current but does not remove it. Medical isolation is all about safety for the patient in a medical safety area. 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=723196

Quote:For a safe operation of IT devices within the medical safety area, it is, additionally to the usage of medical IMED isolating transformers, necessary, to isolate the fast Ethernet or gigabit Ethernet network connections galvanically from the other network by the use of a Medical LAN Isolator. This is particularly required if the IT devices within a medical electrical system are additionally connected to medical electrical devices.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

No need for a switch Smile

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...7#pid74137
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
Some news:

SOtM have updated their website to include their new sNH-10G (snappy name!) network switch.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/englis...m/snh-10g/

I note that it has the option for connection to a 10MHz reference clock. Bonkers stuff! No price yet, I guess this will appear per the link before too long.

Personally, I am interested in finding out what the Uptone Audio switch might offer, but no news of this to date.

EDIT: The SOtM switch is not available, but CA legend Romaz has posted the first report of a prototype that he has on loan for evluation. See link below. Of course, a network switch cannot possibly influence sound quality, it delivers packet data that is buffered and clocked downstream. Romaz's post states differently so some may assume that these things do indeed work well, perhaps for reasons not yet fully understood. You decide. If you are interested in this kind of stuff, Romaz's post makes for a very interesting read. The pictures are good too, by the standards of network switches, the thing is huge.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent-860030
Quote:Personally, I am interested in finding out what the Uptone Audio switch might offer, but no news of this to date.

@Confused the new Uptone switch will have a 75ohm BNC 10MHz input so it will be possible to sync it with other equipment.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=860167

Dont mind the SMA thing as a connector for the clock that is further down the thread corrected to BNC Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

(09-Aug-2018, 20:55)octaviars Wrote: @Confused the new Uptone switch will have a 75ohm BNC 10MHz input so it will be possible to sync it with other equipment.

How does one sync packed data? Isn't the whole idea of packet data that it doesn't need to be synced?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(09-Aug-2018, 22:52)Pim Wrote:
(09-Aug-2018, 20:55)octaviars Wrote: @Confused the new Uptone switch will have a 75ohm BNC 10MHz input so it will be possible to sync it with other equipment.

How does one sync packed data? Isn't the whole idea of packet data that it doesn't need to be synced?

Hey dont shot the messenger I only forwarded what was written at Computer Audiophole.

Second system