Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Developping a stereo system replacing spark + dialog
(20-Sep-2018, 22:22)ogs Wrote: @streamy was quicker than me!

Hi @BlackMamba, welcome here!
I've been through these thoughts some time ago. I did not buy Phantoms because, at the time, it was too complicated to make it work...

Here are a few points:
1 Dialog can use powerline, wifi or ethernet to talk to Phantoms - so it is not only wifi.

2 If you want to use the native volume control of Phantoms you can follow your own idea with two TOSLINK ports splitting L/R in the streamer.

3 I believe you can do a similar setup by pretending that LEFT is one room and RIGHT is the other. By controlling both 'rooms' with a Dialog you still have volume control and sending signal to each Phantom with TOSLINK bypasses Dialog.

4 By setting the Phantoms to 'Direct Optical Mode' as per Q 11 in this post https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Last-min...6#pid76696 you'll drive Phantoms directly from the TOSLINK inputs, but you'll have to do volume control in the digital domain before it enters Phantoms.

I was researching option 2. I did not find a device that could split and route L and R over separate TOSLINK ports. No vendors (apart from Vincent at Totaldac) where willing to create L and R TOSLINK.
For 3 I am not certain so I hope a Phantom owner can chime in and tell us if this is possible.
4 is actually an 'installer' mode meant for use with the 'Dante dongle' or a MCH movie system.

I do not think Dialog has bad sound quality as such, it's more with its functionality, but for Spark I'd agree it is quite bad.

Just followed the link you put in your reply and end up to github ( https://github.com/da2001/phantom-bridge ). I don't have a Phantom yet so I will not be able to certify. But if I understand well what is there, it looks possible, if not easy, to communicate with the Phantom system and should allow to control the either from a small soft as presented or through a specific plug-in in best system as Roon, Volumio and so on...

Thanks a lot

Messages In This Thread
RE: Developping a stereo system replacing spark + dialog - by BlackMamba - 22-Sep-2018, 17:31