Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet?
(07-Nov-2018, 20:08)Dev_Steve Wrote:
(07-Nov-2018, 19:42)Confused Wrote: I wouldn't worry about the cost of Devialet's fancy stores in NY.  (or London for that matter, we have them too)  The only thing that really matters is sound quality verses the cash needed to buy.  I think all "high end" hifi products have epically large mark ups.  Of course, the manufactures need to spend lots of cash on R&D, marketing, advertising, shows, dealer mark-ups and all the rest of it.  Plus, I think the Devialet stores are mainly there to push Phantom sales.

I would say that the 1000Pro is competitively priced with respect to the performance offered from their rivals, and I have listened to some far more expensive set-ups which were comparable, rather than obviously better.  Subjective preference plays a part here of course, but I do not think you can get something definitively superior to the 1000Pro for the same money, although you might easily find something you prefer.

As for the constant moaning and dissatisfaction with Devialet, I have started to become rather fond of this aspect of Devialet ownership, I would miss it a little if Devialet do ever get their act together, plus it does not make the amp sound any different.

One thing I do wonder about is the benefit of moving to the 1000Pro.  I have seen one or two comments on this forum stating that the margin between the 1000Pro and the 250Pro is fairly small.  I think the difference might be dependent on how easy the speakers are to drive.  I believe the Sabrina's are fairly "amplifier friendly".  So no doubt the 1000Pro will be better than a 250Pro, the question is by what kind of a margin.

One question to yourself Steve - You are already running a 250Pro + Sabrinas, so basically if you move to the 1000Pro you will have a very slightly better version of what you have now, but it will sound pretty much the same.  So issues with the phono hiss accepted, are you otherwise happy with the sound of your system?
That's a great question. Yes, I'm happy with the sound. In fact, I was just playing Air's "Moon Safari" and being amazed at how buttery-smooth it sounds. That said, there's always that nagging thought that we have with this hobby, which is "how much better can I make it?" So again, that question becomes do I take this additional money and double down on Devialet or do I search for another direction?

Just enjoy the "buttery-smooth" sound and smile.  Smile
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - by rwjr44 - 07-Nov-2018, 20:31