Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any in depth Reactor reviews or users here?
(04-Mar-2019, 20:30)ogs Wrote: I had a brief listen to a single Reactor on Saturday. A shop in town had it on display together with the three Phantom models.

I now understand what the 'missing' midrange is about. The front 'full range' is actually just a rather large tweeter. So very little real mid range there. To compensate the side woofers produce parts of the (lower) mid range. I put an ear close to one of the woofers and could hear quite a lot of mid range from it. The woofers are not ideal mid range drivers and as mids are more directional the side placement create a strange effect on some recordings.

In comparison a pair of Golds had a proper mid range reproduction. Of course it is not fair to compare a single Reactor to a pair of Golds, but it also made the difference quite clear.

Attempting to define a cross over frequency for the Reactor without measurements will be just speculation so I'll skip that
I still think Reactor is good. The tiny size and prodigious bass output is really impressive! With the right placement (much better than in the shop) and maybe stereo I am sure one can get good results.

You cannot compare a mono reactor to a stereo pair of gold !  I have a pair of Gold and a pair of reactors, they sound quite similar in my opinion, just a little more bass muscle for the golds. The difference is not that big when you listen to both in stereo. As for the lack of mid range, see the graph in my answer to Jean Marie below.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any in depth Reactor reviews or users here? - by eniriop - 21-Apr-2019, 11:05