Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 440 Pro CI not sounding great...
Over the years I've listened to quite a few DAC/pre/amp combinations. My 440 Pro is without doubt the most musical I've owned. But I will say that I have occasionally been blown away by a system that has extraordinary clarity and detail. As you stated, details such as breathing, finger on strings, etc.. are more pronounced. But in my experience, such details, although present, are rarely noticed in a live performance and, I suspect, might hinder the overall enjoyment of a system in the long term as it might force a focus toward critical listening rather than just getting immersed in the music.

The ideal test would be to live exclusively with the R2R DAC solution for an extended period of time and then switch back to your Devialet. It might just reveal an aspect of listening enjoyment that you've been taking for granted. Then again, I've known a few audiophiles that absolutely love such detail and strive for that characteristic in their listening systems. Go with your gut!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devialet 440 Pro CI not sounding great... - by mdconnelly - 11-Dec-2018, 14:03