Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version: Firmware 13.1.3 + DOS 2.2.4 Date: 2019-02-12
Today was the first chance I have had to update to the new firmware. Reading the various posts on this thread in the week I was intrigued by @ada 's post regarding a measurable difference in the frequency response with SAM enabled. Maybe something has been tweaked with respect to SAM in the new firmware? As I was updating the firmware anyway, I thought I would try taking REW measurements with SAM set to 0%, 50% and 100%, then repeat after the firmware update. Similar to @Soniclife 's results, I did get some minor differences in the curves, but not much, and the curves in the sub 100Hz area were pretty much identical for any given SAM setting. The curves deviated fractionally at about 500Hz So for me, and with the Blade SAM profile, I have to conclude no significant measurable difference.

Back in subjective mode, and listing to some familiar tracks via my Mutec SOtM kit, I have to say that I cannot decern much difference either.

With that done, I tried Roon RAAT and a quick comparison to Roon integrated AIR. First to say that although Roon RAAT worked, I occasionally I got the "audio file is loading slowly" error message and some stuttering, after which things settled down and the music played without issue. (this was with local 16/44.1 files) A little disappointing, and ironically it reminded me a little of the bad old days with AIR. Anyway, most of the time it worked fine, and yes, it sounds good. In comparison with Roon integrated AIR, I would have to say there is not much in it. At times, I thought I preferred AIR, specifically, there seemed to be a little more bass power and impact. With other music I think I preferred RAAT, this I think is related to the mids, which seemed slightly more pleasant with RAAT, with maybe a slight "digital edge" when back with AIR. To be honest, this is extremely marginal stuff, so I would have to conclude that there is very little in it. I would try changing my router settings (turn off IGMP as advised by @Pim) to mitigate the "audio file is loading slowly" issue, but as I do not intend to use RAAT over the long term, I am reluctant to do this, who knows what else it might upset? I might be wrong, but I suspect that this is little more than early teething troubles and the Roon guys will sort it out, but I have to say it is a little disappointing, and a little puzzling, because with my set-up, streaming Roon RAAT to either my microRendu or sMS-200ultra has worked flawlessly, why should it be different with a Roon ready Devialet?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Version: Firmware 13.1.3 + DOS 2.2.4 Date: 2019-02-12 - by Confused - 16-Feb-2019, 15:57