Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version: Firmware 13.1.3 + DOS 2.2.4 Date: 2019-02-12
(16-Feb-2019, 22:20)David A Wrote:
(16-Feb-2019, 12:40)Soniclife Wrote:
(15-Feb-2019, 23:14)David A Wrote: If RAAT makes a difference, and I believe it does, proving that with measurements may not be all that easy.

If it makes an audible difference it will show up in a controlled listening test, and we can go from belief in a difference to knowledge of a difference.  Then it gets really interesting.  Did you say somewhere you are in an audio club, if so getting their help on the double blind part will make things a lot easier.

Putting myself through blind testing was one of the most interesting things I done in audio, and I encourage everyone to have a try at something like flac vs mp3 using a software tool.  I found it a fascinating process being presented with no other input than my ears, and having to trust them alone.

One big problem with A/B listening tests in audio is the fact that audio memory is short and you need to be able to switch between inputs very quickly. That's not possible with a Devialet where you need to cycle between inputs by repeatedly pressing the input button. Even if you only have the ethernet input active you need to cycle through different streaming inputs and it takes more button presses to go from AIR to Roon Ready than from Roon Ready to AIR. 
@David A There is a better way to switch zones. In Roon, click on the loudspeaker icon, bottom right. You’ll see two arrows pointing away from each other. Click this, then it’s simply a matter of clicking on one of the zones that are available to switch to.  I’ve been doing this just now, it takes maybe a second to switch zones and there is a dropout in sound while it happens, but it’s a whole lot quicker than pressing the input button and having to manually restart the music.  I still can find no discernible difference between RAAT and AIR.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
RE: Version: Firmware 13.1.3 + DOS 2.2.4 Date: 2019-02-12 - by Axel - 17-Feb-2019, 11:44