Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
(21-May-2019, 16:03)mdconnelly Wrote: When I first started experiencing this problem (when Roon 1.6 was released and Devialet released their latest OS/firmware update), I tried everything I could think of since there were some users that were not experiencing the problem.   As time went on, many of those that claimed it worked fine realized that they were, in fact, operating at 10/100 mpbs network speed.   But some, as described in this thread and in Roon forums, had it working at gigabit speeds without issue.      

Here's a list of the major changes I methodically tried:

-- different PCs running RoonServer or Roon Core
-- different ethernet runs (including different cabling - 6, 6a, 7 - and dramatically different lengths) from PC to router to Devialet
-- different Devialet configs including eliminating all but ethernet input and no wifi
-- two different routers (Pace 5268ac, Dlink)
-- numerous different router settings

The problem was always readily reproduced.   It wasn't until I changed the network speed did I find a workaround.   Initially, I just changed the network speed to 10/100mbps on the PC running RoonServer.   That worked!    I then set the PC back to gigabit and placed a cheap 10/100mpbs switch in front of the Devialet.   That also worked.    Happy it did but clueless as to how/why.

What I have not tried is having two ethernet runs from my RoonServer PC such that one goes to the router and the other establishes a subnet to the Devialet as others have successfully implemented.   To do so in my setup would be far more complex than just using the 10/100 switch.

My frustration with both Devialet and Roon is that I have to believe they know what the issue is but are remaining silent about it.   It's never surprising that Devialet is silent, but in my experience, when Roon is quiet, it's because they know it's not their problem to fix.   Of course, this did pass Roon's QA testing so they are partially responsible for the headaches.

As with all things Devialet, it will get fixed eventually.  I suspect it will also require us to pester them periodically.   I'd love to better understand the issue, but fortunately, the lower network speed works perfectly (as does using the AIR protocol) so I'm willing to wait patiently (yet read the forums frequently hoping someone shares some further insight ;-)

Thanks for that. It looks like we can scratch my idea that it has something to do with having both ethernet and wifi inputs enabled.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly" - by David A - 21-May-2019, 21:58