Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPnP & macOS / iOS recommendations?
(30-Oct-2019, 22:23)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(30-Oct-2019, 18:50)seb Wrote: First impression. Bubble UPnP is definitely more stable and comfortable then the OpenHome app. No hiccups so far even with long playlists.

(Temporary?) Verdict for a working and mostly reliable macOS / iOS solution:

Media server: Twonky
Media server add on for direct (shared) streaming of Tidal/Qobuz from the Mac mini server: Bubble UPnP (needs Java 8)
iOS control point: Lumin (alternatively Linn Kazoo)
macOS Control Point: Linn Kazoo (alternatively ?)

If this solution turns out to be stable and more more convenient than Spark, the first step is made for me to think about switching to DOS2 Wink
Most interesting observing your trial. Any comments about sound quality?

I was not able to thoroughly compare yet. But Lumin and Linn Kazoo show that the unaltered original files are streamed. So my guess is that they are as good as the Phantoms are able to handle those type of files via UPnP. I am not a technician, but it seems there is very little interference (if at all) in this workflow. I could not make out any differences vs. Spark. I would really give it a try and test it for your own (if this an option you consider). The advantage of still being on DOS1 is that you can easily compare. I will run this solution for a while and then make a decision. Maybe it is better to wait until "native" streaming will become a reality in DOS2. Then the switch would be even easier. Nevertheless you would need some type of control point app that replaces Spark. So "testing" the waters might be a good idea anyway.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)

Messages In This Thread
UPnP & macOS / iOS recommendations? - by seb - 30-Oct-2019, 01:56
RE: UPnP & macOS / iOS recommendations? - by seb - 30-Oct-2019, 23:24