Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silvers and Dos2 migration - idiot needs advice
Hi kantblue,
Sorry for the delay in replying, life and all that, and thank you for a perfect and simple reply to my questions.

Your reply led me to much useful reading to try and fill the gaps in my understanding of what framework is needed with a wifi system to work well. As such I have a few more questions if you'd be so kind.

Your link to Cambridge products article was very useful. So my understanding now is that if I wish to play my music I need a networked storage disc to hold the flac files(NAS/UPnP server), another item to index/render(?) them(UPnP renderer - Cambridge CXN for example), a UPnP control device - smartphone, etc which presumably provides an interface to the music from the renderer(?) and then the speakers themselves to play the stuff.

A quick point - I noticed that the CXN is also a digital analog converter, is this a necessary item as from what I understand the phantom is a renderer?

Still, here's my main points - can I use just one of these NUC's to do both the job of a NAS and the renderer? I.e., if I have a NUC with two discs can I use one as the NAS and the other for the rendering and indexing of the flacs from the NAS? If so what UPnP software product should I use as I see stuff about MinimServer, etc and what UPnP software product could I use on the control device to access the server?

What I'm trying to say is can I use one box to do it all as I don't really want to have a visible system a la the pictures of the Cambridge products.

Many thanks for any reply.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Silvers and Dos2 migration - idiot needs advice - by kboley_uk - 04-Mar-2020, 11:54