Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable disappointment, what did I do wrong?
(15-Jan-2021, 20:53)eladeb Wrote: @Rma
Can you please compare sound quality rca to spdif puffin vs rca to sonos spdif adc?

Thanks...

@eladeb I will do my best, but be aware that I don’t pretend to be an audiophile or any sort of expert.
As I have returned the ProJect what I am testing is 
1/ phono > Puffin > RCA to Sonos > toslink to devialet 
2/ phono > puffin > toslink to devialet.
So as the puffin does ACD and DAC, in the 1st option the sound will go through 2 analog to digital conversion, and 2 digital to analog conversions. Whereas on 2d option the sound goes through only one ADC with puffin and one DAC with devialet. With that in mind I think it’s hard to isolate the ADC capabilities of the sonos.

Having said that, this is night and day : it sounds much much much better without the sonos. With the sonos I feel like I am losing a lot in the highs, and the basses are quite muddy, some « night club » effect. For some reason the voices are also less clear, and less loud as well.
With only the puffin on, I hear all instruments and ranges very defined. I also feel it very accurate, I think experts call it « transparent ». 

Again, nothing scientific in what I am saying here ;-)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Turntable disappointment, what did I do wrong? - by Rma - 16-Jan-2021, 11:53