Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo
(12-Jan-2021, 13:10)MC94 Wrote: Hi!

I have the KEF LS50 Wireless and I really like them but there is undoubtedly potential in the low end. Now I am considering buying a sub or replace them with two Devialet Phantom Classics. The Golds are out of my budget and even the Classic force me to stretch. I also listen to the Reactors but I do not like the mids and highs and find them a bit compressed in comparison with my LS50W. Therefore, I have the following questions:

- Are the Classics substantially better in mids and highs as the Reactors?
- Do they work for movies (dialogues, background soundtracks, etc.) and does the "auto switch" mode work, i.e. I start TV, the Phantoms plays the TV sound?
- For those who also know the LS50W: Are they in the same league as LS50W + Sub? 
- Do they also work for classic / acoustic music?

I know, it's a subjective question and depends on the individual preferences but all information helps me and I am not able to test the Classic in the Stores due to Corona Lockdown.

Thank you!

Hi, I have at this moment only one classic, besides my main HiFi system, but here are some observations for your questions:

- Phantom Classic is an audiophile device - Reactor is for Rap, Pop, TV etc. designed. They are fine, polite and very listenable.
- You have to go for a sub of 1000€+ to compare the bass speed and precision of Phantom. Even more. Bass is true High End - POINT!
- I'm listening a lot of classic and very often via one Phantom Classic - why? My OTL tubes are complicated, and the whole system has to be enjoyed on the sweet spot. Not for me all of the time anymore - since it's complicated. And the sound is comparable. 
- Phantom plays at low volumes much better than most High-End systems.
- with Gold you get an even forgetful and warmer treble. Everything is same (if you are listening at acceptable volume).

my 2 cents...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo - by tomsag - 12-Jan-2021, 16:02