Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flaky, flaky dialog
Thanks for the reply. Luckily, my setup has just two audio sources: PC into left Phantom via optical, turntable into right Phantom via optical. I don't worry about streaming or casting or any of the new-fangled stuff the kids are doing these days on my lawn. I control the PC via Clementine remote.

Honestly, I resent even having to use a second app at all (Spark). And then the only reason I ever do is to constantly reset the volume to a reasonable level, as the system is missing a pretty basic feature: the ability to remember the previous volume level when you turn on the source after an extended period of silence, as any other amp in the history of amps would do. When I asked why that feature was removed in one of the early versions of DOS 1.0, Devialet gave the particularly unsatisfying response used by every faceless corporation ever: "It's for your protection, sir." The problem being that it totally breaks my use case, which is to control everything from the PC, including volume, playing music automatically when I'm on vacation, to wake me up in the morning, etc. A use case that was carefully explained to them prior to purchase.

I've heard some reports that DOS 2.0 has even lower (perceptually) volume settings, which is bad for me. At this point, volume 35 is just barely loud enough, with the PC set at maximum volume, and not loud enough for the turntable.

Also, reports that DOC 2.0 changes the sound of the Phantoms overall (though nobody seems to be sure) - again, bad, unless it's an improvement. So, more than one reason for my hesitancy in upgrading. At this point, the sound is the only thing I like about the system. Even the bluetooth Remote seems to stop working every few days. (Again, after several replacements.)

Messages In This Thread
flaky, flaky dialog - by meeotch - 30-Jul-2021, 01:44
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by ragwo - 30-Jul-2021, 01:53
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by Johnnydev - 30-Jul-2021, 07:48
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by kantblue - 31-Jul-2021, 11:52
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by meeotch - 31-Jul-2021, 19:13
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by ragwo - 31-Jul-2021, 19:45
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by meeotch - 31-Jul-2021, 20:12
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by ragwo - 31-Jul-2021, 22:18
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by kantblue - 01-Aug-2021, 10:58
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by meeotch - 07-Aug-2021, 20:02
RE: flaky, flaky dialog - by Johnnydev - 07-Aug-2021, 20:21