Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR software
Does AIR send Hi Res music files to the Dev from my Mac, as the Airport Express/Airplay only does CD resolution?
Cheers.
Mark
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
(05-Nov-2015, 16:42)jukemark Wrote: Does AIR send Hi Res music files to the Dev from my Mac, as the Airport Express/Airplay only does CD resolution?
Cheers.
Mark

Yes, it does, and they will sound great.

For as long as it works; before the stuttering begins, or the whole thing just stops.

However, you will most likely need an Ethernet cable connection, as most folks find that even if AIR works at CD resolution, it falls over with HiRes. 

The 400 is an amazing amplifier that it totally let down by the AIR debacle.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(05-Nov-2015, 18:04)Zappydev Wrote:
(05-Nov-2015, 16:42)jukemark Wrote: Does AIR send Hi Res music files to the Dev from my Mac, as the Airport Express/Airplay only does CD resolution?
Cheers.
Mark

Yes, it does, and they will sound great.

For as long as it works; before the stuttering begins, or the whole thing just stops.

However, you will most likely need an Ethernet cable connection, as most folks find that even if AIR works at CD resolution, it falls over with HiRes. 

The 400 is an amazing amplifier that it totally let down by the AIR debacle.
Ah ok, it is connected by Cat6 so hopefully will be ok. Thanks for that.
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
AIR is an unpredictable thing, almost everyone's experience is different. For example, I do have occasional stuttering with AIR, but find absolutely no difference in this respect between 16 bit or 24 bit material.

What did your dealer say about Dialog compatibility with AIR?
(05-Nov-2015, 21:05)Confused Wrote: AIR is an unpredictable thing, almost everyone's experience is different.  For example, I do have occasional stuttering with AIR, but find absolutely no difference in this respect between 16 bit or 24 bit material.

He checked with Dev and confirmed it will come in 2016. Have to see how I get on with Air! Looking forward to getting it in and set up now.
(05-Nov-2015, 21:05)Confused Wrote: AIR is an unpredictable thing, almost everyone's experience is different.  For example, I do have occasional stuttering with AIR, but find absolutely no difference in this respect between 16 bit or 24 bit material.

As Confused says the experience with AIR is very variable.

Some have no problems at all.

But I think there are two problems which happen often.

One is if your wifi network in not robust. Weak signal and/or many adjacent channels. Hopefully you can do something about this.

The other is a clocking misalignment issue between your laptop and your Devialet. You can do a little about this by minimising extraneous activity on your laptop.

But is really is a process of trial and error.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(05-Nov-2015, 21:59)IanG-UK Wrote:

As Confused says the experience with AIR is very variable.

Some have no problems at all.

But I think there are two problems which happen often.

One is if your wifi network in not robust. Weak signal and/or many adjacent channels. Hopefully you can do something about this.

The other is a clocking misalignment issue between your laptop and your Devialet. You can do a little about this by minimising extraneous activity on your laptop.

But is really is a process of trial and error.
What about connecting my Mac Mini via USB and controlling it from my MBP? Surely that should be ultra reliable? I also have Audirvana+ on both machines and on my iPhone and iPad.
I hope that promise from Devialet carries more weight than their previous ones about fixing AIR. That has been dragging on for months and months..

I hope you are one of the lucky ones. As mentioned above, eliminating WiFi and using cable improves your chances. However, the timing issue seems to be totally random; mine can work for days, and then be unusable for as many days, with no changes to the system that I am aware of.

It's still the best sound I ever had, but I wish I had spent my hard-earned on a product that was better supported. Keep us posted.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
It should be though it might depend on the quality of the USB lead.

As far as I know the USB standard claims to be effective to 5m. I did borrow a very very expensive USB lead at 7.5m (Transparent Audio) which did work, but clearly it depends on your layout.

I've never tried Audiovana so cannot comment on that, sorry.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(05-Nov-2015, 22:11)IanG-UK Wrote: It should be though it might depend on the quality of the USB lead.

As far as I know the USB standard claims to be effective to 5m. I did borrow a very very expensive USB lead at 7.5m (Transparent Audio) which did work, but clearly it depends on your layout.

I've never tried Audiovana so cannot comment on that, sorry.

Using a regular cable, I have found the SQ to be much worse than AIR, but your experience may well be different. Some users here report issues with the USB input too, but it was reliable for me.