Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries and Devialet 200
Considering the Auralic Aries LE. How are you users finding it?
I like the look of the app and have read up quite a lot on this product. There is a Lite version which is cheaper and the only difference is the power supply and femto clocks? I have no idea what these are bit they seem to be why there is a difference in price, so I take it that it will help SQ. Reduces jitter maybe.
I use a NAS, so would it just be a case of using the ethernet cable that currently goes from there to the 200, and just using that into the back of the Aires. Then use USB or AES from the Aries to the 200.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(29-Sep-2015, 07:32)DWomaz Wrote: I use a NAS, so would it just be a case of using the ethernet cable that currently goes from there to the 200, and just using that into the back of the Aires. Then use USB or AES from the Aries to the 200.

You need to run a UPnP server on your NAS.  I would go for MinimServer or Asset. Then connect your NAS to your router with an Ethernet cable and the Aries to the router using another Ethernet cable. Control the Aries using their Lightning DS app running on an iPad. You could alternatively connect the Aries to the router using wi-fi if you have a robust network.

There's a Quick Start guide here 

http://www.auralic.com/download/aries_quick_start.pdf
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(29-Sep-2015, 08:13)PhilP Wrote:
(29-Sep-2015, 07:32)DWomaz Wrote: I use a NAS, so would it just be a case of using the ethernet cable that currently goes from there to the 200, and just using that into the back of the Aires. Then use USB or AES from the Aries to the 200.

You need to run a UPnP server on your NAS.  I would go for MinimServer or Asset. Then connect your NAS to your router with an Ethernet cable and the Aries to the router using another Ethernet cable. Control the Aries using their Lightning DS app running on an iPad. You could alternatively connect the Aries to the router using wi-fi if you have a robust network.

There's a Quick Start guide here 

http://www.auralic.com/download/aries_quick_start.pdf

Thanks I will take a look at this. Upnp server on my NAS? I may even already have one as I use the 200 via AIR Ethernet streaming from my NAS. Also used to use my QNAP NAS with another streamer in my old set up
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Ok another stupid question from me.....how do i know what my QNAP NAS drive has as a music server. Twonky rings a bell as I used to use a MFM1CLIC before I got rid of iot to use AIR.
(29-Sep-2015, 16:34)Womaz Wrote: Ok another stupid question from me.....how do i know what my QNAP NAS drive has as a music server. Twonky rings a bell as I used to use a MFM1CLIC before I got rid of iot to use AIR.

I don't have a QNAP NAS myself  (I use Netgear/Minimserver) but understand that it does indeed ship with Twonky installed.  I have never tried Twonky - mainly because I have read numerous posts written by people who have had problems with it...   

Its quite straightforward to install Minimserver (which is excellent and I have never had a single problem with it Smile ) on a QNAP NAS - there is a simple installation guide and QNAP-specific download and the author is extremely responsive if you have problems (post on the Minimserver Forum to get support).

http://minimserver.com/installing.html
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
I do vaguely remember a retailer saying he would recommend this too and I think it was when discussing the Auralic Aries.
I get a little overwhelmed with all of this technology just to listen to music so i try to keep it as simple as possible
I was as close to buying as I have ever been Big Grin so I decided to do a bit of research and the Auralic app gets a bit of a slating , also the updates are fraught with problems apparently. Time to ponder again.
Another question in Minimserver, If my NAS has twonky and the JRiver software and app works surely this means that it works fine and Minimserver is not needed. Or is it that certain products/apps like minimserver as opposed to twonky?
Any guidance as always appreciated.
Also very keen to hear from any Auralic users.
I'm sure that Twonky does work - otherwise QNAP and others wouldn't ship it.  I just haven't tried it myself because I read that many had problems with indexing etc.

The Auralic Lightning DS app has been around for over a year and although there have been some problems many people seem to like it.

I don't know how you have configured your system but JRMC includes a UPnP music server that can run on your PC (accessing music stored on your NAS if you wish). The Aries will work with JRMC. Again,  I haven't tried this myself as we've expelled all PCs from our house on the grounds that they're the work of the Devil  Rolleyes

If you want something really simple then an Aurender N100H with internal HDD (so no NAS involved) and a good control app with TIDAL integration and great SQ is well worth investigating but it's twice the price of an Aries.
(29-Sep-2015, 21:48)PhilP Wrote: I'm sure that Twonky does work - otherwise QNAP and others wouldn't ship it.  I just haven't tried it myself because I read that many had problems with indexing etc.

I don't know how you have configured your system but JRMC includes a UPnP music server that can run on your PC (accessing music stored on your NAS if you wish). The Aries will work with JRMC. Again,  I haven't tried this myself as we've expelled all PCs from our house on the grounds that they're the work of the Devil  Rolleyes

If you want something really simple then an Aurender N100H with internal HDD (so no NAS involved) and a good control app with TIDAL integration and great SQ might be worth investigating but it's twice the price of an Aries.

Jriver access my NAS drive so I would assume it is using the software to access this. Truth is I have no idea. I control it with the jriver I pad app
The au render is one I was also considering, the Melco N1A the other but the Aries is the cheapest and could afford to get that now. The others will have to wait as in the process of buying some new HPs too

The Aries also has tidal and qoubuz but I doubt I will ever subscribe to them.
This is what usually happens I get sick of waiting for Dialog and I decide to get a streamer and then when I investigate they all seem to have issues. So I sit on the fence again Big Grin

Would love to hear from some Aries users about there experience with the Devialet