Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cheap temporary streamer
Hi
After owning my 200 for less than 3 weeks I am now in need of a cheap Streamer solution, due to the problems with AIR making it increasingly difficult to enjoy my new purchase.

I was initially hoping to use AIR so got rid of my network player, and I am now using a CD Transport. Unfortunately I had no idea how much i would miss having my whole collection at my fingertips, so I think I am going to have to buy a cheap streamer as a temporary measure.
I am considering something like the Aurender N100 as a future purchase but as I have just overstretched my budget to get the 200, this will have to wait a while.

All of my music is on my QNAP NAS drive and just looking for ideas on a possible solution.

I have complained to Devaliet about this but I do not want to go into the details of the complaint, but I feel as if they are not taking my complaint seriously at all.

It is a real shame as I love the sound of the 200, but today I even considered asking for a refund and starting again with a different product. This is not really what I want to do though as the sound from my 200 is simply the best i have ever heard in my set up.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Said it before: unless you're desperate for better-than-CD resolution, Sonos Connect would be a good choice. Less than £300, supports a very wide range of streaming services, has very good (stable) control software, and easily re-sellable should you decide to upgrade later.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Apr-2015, 16:54)Womaz Wrote: Hi
After owning my 200 for less than 3 weeks I am now in need of a cheap Streamer solution, due to the problems with AIR making it increasingly difficult to enjoy my new purchase.

I was initially hoping to use AIR so got rid of my network player, and I am now using a CD Transport. Unfortunately I had no idea how much i would miss having my whole collection at my fingertips, so I think I am going to have to buy a cheap streamer as a temporary measure.
I am considering something like the Aurender N100 as a future purchase but as I have just overstretched my budget to get the 200, this will have to wait a while.

All of my music is on my QNAP NAS drive and just looking for ideas on a possible solution.

I have complained to Devaliet about this but I do not want to go into the details of the complaint, but I feel as if they are not taking my complaint seriously at all.

It is a real shame as I love the sound of the 200, but today I even considered asking for a refund and starting again with a different product. This is not really what I want to do though as the sound from my 200 is simply the best i have ever heard in my set up.

Hi Womaz - what about a secondhand Squeezebox Touch?  Like you, I've given up on AIR and am hoping that Dialog will eventually become my prime source.  I've been using a Squeezebox Touch as my main source, and it sounds very good indeed.  You should be able to pick up one for about £140, and it's pretty much plug 'n' play with your NAS.  If you go this route, spend a few mod quid to get the ipeng app  - assuming you have an iOS device. 

Good luck!
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
Well I am hoping AIR will be fixed by Munich.

If so, but not a recommendation, I see Richer Sounds are selling the QED uPlay streamer for £40 (was £150) which might be worth the price as a very temporary device.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Some great ideas here thanks. I will have a loot at all of them. I do have some high res music, would they be able to play these?

If I knew AIR would be sorted by Munich I could probably hang on as I do love the JRemote app and I so find the SQ excellent.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
The Onkyo C-N7050 might also be an option for you. It has just got a five-star rating at whathifi.com:

http://www.whathifi.com/onkyo/c-n7050/review
---
Devialet Expert 220 pro (Upgrade from LE 120), SAM on (100%), DPM off
USB
Macbook Air (4GB RAM), 2TB SSD via Thunderbolt
Audirvana+ 3.x in iTunes-Mode
KEF LS50
Russ Andrews YellO Power to wall socket
Russ Andrews X6 Block
(07-Apr-2015, 16:54)Womaz Wrote: Hi

I'm a software guy, and I am learning some patterns w AIR.  It does need nurturing.  Are you trying to stream from itunes/youtube or something more data intensive?

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

living in Salt Lake City, USA
Hi
I stream using JRiver on my laptop. The NAS drive is Ethernet wired to my 200 if that helps. I use the JRiver app on my Ipad and occasionally control it from the laptop.
(07-Apr-2015, 18:55)Womaz Wrote: Hi
I stream using JRiver on my laptop. The NAS drive is Ethernet wired to my 200 if that helps. I use the JRiver app on my Ipad and occasionally control it from the laptop.

Do you have a robust router/connection to the laptop/ipad?  A high end router via 5Ghz is essential even for airplay at low bit rates. More thruput and way less interference.
I use a TPLink Archer C7 router; ASUS and Netgear make great routers also.  Browsing is much faster as well.  Wireless is the bottleneck.

Then you have to experiment with router/antenna position, as these things have dead spots, even close by.

Also, I find that for each source change, a disconnect/change source/reconnect procedure with the AIR app on my mac helps
to minimize dropouts and that ticking noise.  The disconnect/reconnect also resolves the noise.

As a last resort, I have a very good sounding Straightwire USB 3.0 m cable.  $70

This is all software. Software is inherently buggy.  Remains to be seen how dedicated Devialet is to improving performance.  They seem to be overwhelmed w Phantom problems at the moment. 

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

(07-Apr-2015, 19:15)bobertk Wrote:
(07-Apr-2015, 18:55)Womaz Wrote: Hi

Do you have a robust router/connection to the laptop/ipad?  A high end router via 5Ghz is essential even for airplay at low bit rates. More thruput and way less interference.
I use a TPLink Archer C7 router; ASUS and Netgear make great routers also.  Browsing is much faster as well.  Wireless is the bottleneck.

Then you have to experiment with router/antenna position, as these things have dead spots, even close by.

Also, I find that for each source change, a disconnect/change source/reconnect procedure with the AIR app on my mac helps
to minimize dropouts and that ticking noise.  The disconnect/reconnect also resolves the noise.

As a last resort, I have a very good sounding Straightwire USB 3.0 m cable.  $70

This is all software. Software is inherently buggy.  Remains to be seen how dedicated Devialet is to improving performance.  They seem to be overwhelmed w Phantom problems at the moment. 

Is your D200/router ethernet wired or wireless?   I'd go router ethernet to both NAS and to D200.  Use Cat6a cable.