Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence Devialet hasn't completely given up on the Expert Pro line
Anyone who thinks that there will be some form of evolutionary epiphany for the Expert line by Devialet is deluding themself. The current CI version is at least 7 years old and has received scant attention. Living in the U.K., I am getting more and more jealous of those companies showing loyalty to their customers with admirable evolutionary products eg Naim and Linn. i have no real reason to complain as my systems continue to produce great sound, but my faith in Devialet as a company does not exist.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(16-Feb-2024, 11:29)Gerronwithit Wrote: companies showing loyalty to their customers with admirable evolutionary products eg Naim and Linn. i have no real reason to complain as my systems continue to produce great sound, but my faith in Devialet as a company does not exist.

Yes, the Pro CI line is 7 years old, I guess, but I'm not sure that Linn and Naim are doing any more. I don't think either offered the upgrades both for software and hardware that Devialet did. It seems to me that upgrades for Naim are either to buy an entirely new pieces of gear replacing the XX series that you have, or adding a very expensive power supply. I think that one could argue that Linn really disadvantaged owners of some of their products by discontinuing and sort of CD transport many years ago. 10 year? 15? Consider also that even for their very first Expert product, the upgrades are still available, 10 years later. That is impressive IMHO>

I never felt that I had to have an endless series of updates to my Devialet. I know that some did want that, but it seemed to me to become a 'never satisfied no matter what' kind of scenario.

Absolutely, I'd love to see a new family of Expert amps, in which case Devialet would be doing exactly what Naim does, as well as most other companies. And I'd love to see attentive customer service, and a skilled and durable software team show up. I don't feel the disappointment, and in fact, I still think about getting another Devialet. But that's just me.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
[/quote]
, I still think about getting another Devialet. But that's just me.
[/quote]

Me too. Third Pro 250 CI.
I recently priced up what I would need to buy Naim wise to replace my 250 - three boxes costing upwards of £20,000 (332/333/250) in the latest series, and thats with two more PS as 'optional upgrades'. Naim at the top end sounds great, but I confess that above a certain level of performance all the high end stuff sounds the same to me. It may be my 61 yr old ears with slight tinnitus from too many noisy gigs, but I do know that when I sit down and listen to my current system with either LPs or streaming it sounds absolutely fine.

I've recently optimised the streaming side a bit more by using AIR again (last year upgraded to M1 Macs) and moving the Mac mini away and upgraded to Mogami speaker cables. The LP side had a big upgrade last year with a Vertere DG-1, but the 250 lies at the system's heart and doesn't lack in any way.

I did correspond with Devialet last month. £3,500 odd to upgrade to PRO CI. Upgrades to the 250 are still available with no 'plans' to change that. It left me reassured that should anything happen to my 250 Devialet were still behind the product.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 NPX300 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire Acrylic Reference rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to AT VML540ML fine line stylus and Vertere Phono-1

For whatever reason I am unable to alter my information or create new posts on this BB. My profile of products owned is wrong but I am unable to alter it. I own a Dione as well as a D1000 Expert. The Dione sounds great but has its own little quirks that have gradually been resolved by Devialet and thankfully updates are sent and automatically applied from the internet - you are alerted by the Dione switching off and rebooting.

Anyway, when I bought the Expert it was to integrate with my AV gear which, for example, Naim could not do without a plethora of boxes which was totally unacceptable to my wife and I wasn’t too keen either. Since buying my gear, Devialet has had business issue resulting in it focusing on the Phantom range as well as introducing the Dione and earbuds. I have no idea how successful their current product range is, but they do appear to have opted out of the high end market. Am just stating a fact and if you are planning on investing in products at the top end I do not really see how Devialet could be seriously considered at this moment in time.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

(17-Feb-2024, 12:17)Gerronwithit Wrote: Am just stating a fact and if you are planning on investing in products at the top end I do not really see how Devialet could be seriously considered at this moment in time.

Why?
(17-Feb-2024, 14:09)Waiski Wrote:
(17-Feb-2024, 12:17)Gerronwithit Wrote: Am just stating a fact and if you are planning on investing in products at the top end I do not really see how Devialet could be seriously considered at this moment in time.

Why?

Please read my post above yours.

(17-Feb-2024, 18:16)Gerronwithit Wrote:
(17-Feb-2024, 14:09)Waiski Wrote:

Why?

Please read my post above yours.
I did read and didn't find any reason not to buy. Is the product somehow bad?
I'd suggest that no product is "bad" as such and that is an incorrect description

The Devialet PRO series has major configuration and versatility benefits and is one of the top performers.  However, as has been pointed out, the last iteration is 7 years old.

Whether a new type of digital to analogue converter circuit will improve the performance and be incorporated into the Devialet amplifier range is a matter for Devialet themselves to decide.  This would be a costly exercise which would probably mean a complete redesign of the board and layout

Today, advances in electronics come faster and faster.  Our Chinese friends have shown this by producing more and more technically advanced and beautifully designed audio kit that performs really well.  Gone are the days where you could dismiss Chinese audio gear as reworked Western products.  Today Chinese technical expertise is world class.  And what is worse for audio manufacturers in the west is their ability to sell this product for affordable prices

One audio dealer I am well acquainted with here in Cape Town has moved over to supplying exclusively Chinese-made audio electronics.  He will use speaker brands like B&W, Magneplanar and Sonus Faber (the latter made in China now)

His flagships are now Cayin, FiiO, Aune Audio.  Having listened to the Cayin valve amplifier, the pedigree is well on the way to be considered mainstream

A difficult track to reproduce is Nite Mist Blues, by Monty Alexander.  There are some piano solos that the Devialet tends to add what you might say is a small degree of distortion.  The Cayin amp reproduces this without strain.

[Image: gNXMZov.jpg]
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ML Electromotion, REL sub.  2 x Dachshunds
I have tested too many different equipment and compared against Devialet 1000 Pro CI. Every piece of equipment have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall sound with Devialet has been the best I have found. Of course, with a much higher amount of money, there might be better sound achieved. Of course there is also a matter of taste what you prefer.

I'm happy with 1000 Pro CI. I would like to see software development to get even more out from 1000 Pro CI but maybe that won't happen.