Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 9.0.1
(23-Dec-2015, 03:56)Sharone Wrote:
(22-Dec-2015, 18:25)moreno1973 Wrote:
(22-Dec-2015, 16:36)Sharone Wrote: Hi folks, i am making the first post here...

Just updated with 9.0.1, i can tell the difference in SQ and it is better than 8.1.3. It definitely sound more natural.

i was used to the old reference 7.1.3 and recently just updated with 8.1.3 a few days back. The sound from 8.1.3 seems more hifi sounding and I have to disable DPM and subsonic to my listening preferences. Still never feel satisfy with 8.1.3.

Anyway, this is just initial listening, will need to more time for a final verdict on 9.0.1.

Welcome to this forum...

I agree with You that 8,1,3, sounds more hifi than highendish:-)

I used 8.1.3. with my 200 during one month and in the end I wasn't happy with its sound. Now, returning to 7.1.3., during last weeks, I am again happy to own Devialet 200. This firmware has nice smoothness, great details, no treble sibilants and right amount od bass (SAM 20% in my case). I don't have DSD files nor gramophne so I am not interested in new features. 

I think that Devialet 200 Expert sounds better when its temperature is above 40 degrees. Optimal is around 43...at leat with 7.1.3.

Yes, the Devialet sounds better after running 10min. I typically hit >40degC easily due to the tropical climate here (Singapore).

I am still trying to be patient with 9.0.1 first and then compare with 7.1.3 later.
I prefer a spacious, natural sound and most of the time listening at low volumes (can only afford time to listen in late nights).
I find getting the preferred sound at low volumes is tougher compare to when the music is louder.

Hi Moreno1973,

After listening for 9.0.1 for a while, I switch back to 7.1.3.
Immediately this brings a smile on my face.
Itzhak Perlman's violin doesn't sound as natural in 9.0.1 compare to 7.1.3.
i feel the emotion from the ballads from Emilie-Claire Barlow and Tord Gustavsen's piano has less sibilants...

Perhaps 7.1.3 is the reason that i acquired my Devialet (the time which the firmware was released).
And this firmware is probably going to stay for some time.

Not to discourage the folks using 9.0.1, it is probably my system that plays a part.
Hope to hear more feedback from rest of the guys.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
Am I the only one who preferred 8.1.3 to 7.1.3? A strange business these firmware changes..... I must admit, after my early issues with 8.0 / 8.1 I was dreading another firmware update, however, reading the positive comments for 9.0.1, I'm rather looking forward to this one now.
8.1.3 worked well for me... Oh except that's when SAM seemed to go wrong for me, though it's not impossible the profile wasn't quite right for my speakers on 7.x too as it always seemed a bit crude, low end boost but without any real improvement in coherence. I've stuck with 8.1.3 for probably longer than any other firmware though.
I tried 8.1.3 twice in my system and really didn't like it - the main problem being with over-bright treble (with AIR).  I've downloaded 9.0.1 but haven't had time to install it yet ... son too excited about Christmas Wink

The differences in sound between firmware releases may be down to very minor (but audible) changes in tonal balance, noise levels or both???  If so it's not surprising that there are varying reactions to new FW releases when there are so many possible combinations of input (AIR, AES, USB etc), loudspeaker etc.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Just upgraded to 9.0.1. Now I was intrigued by Devialet's words "Suppression of the possible crosstalk between the LINE1 input (RCA3/4) and PHONO input (RCA5/6)." Would this reduce the phono hiss? Well, Dr Tone has already reported that it appeared to be much the same, which was disappointing. Anyway, ever the optimist I decided to check the issue using the scientific method. Still on 8.1.3, I selected the phono input and took two decibel readings using an iPhone app. One with the Devialet set to 0dB, another at -15dB, which is about as loud as I ever listen to vinyl. This was done with the iPhone basically shoved within millimetres of one of the speakers Uni-q drivers. I then updated to 9.0.1 and repeated the experiment. The results were absolutely identical between the two firmware versions, zero difference. So no improvement, which is disappointing, but I can at least confirm Dr Tone's ears are working more or less as they should.
(23-Dec-2015, 12:35)Confused Wrote: Just upgraded to 9.0.1.  Now I was intrigued by Devialet's words "Suppression of the possible crosstalk between the LINE1 input (RCA3/4) and PHONO input (RCA5/6)."  Would this reduce the phono hiss?  Well, Dr Tone has already reported that it appeared to be much the same, which was disappointing.  Anyway, ever the optimist I decided to check the issue using the scientific method.  Still on 8.1.3, I selected the phono input and took two decibel readings using an iPhone app.  One with the Devialet set to 0dB, another at -15dB, which is about as loud as I ever listen to vinyl.  This was done with the iPhone basically shoved within millimetres of one of the speakers Uni-q drivers.  I then updated to 9.0.1 and repeated the experiment.  The results were absolutely identical between the two firmware versions, zero difference.  So no improvement, which is disappointing, but I can at least confirm Dr Tone's ears are working more or less as they should.

Hi there...First post here had my 200 for about 3 months now after a long audition...

9.0 is a revelation in terms of crosstalk - and just to be clear I take that to mean the 'bleeding' of other inputs into the selected one. this was the case with my 200 and now the problem is totally solved. have a line input playing and then select the phono input - you will here the crosstalk between the inputs with 8.13. with 9.0 its gone. there is a new additional click when switching inputs so something is happening here

i am under the impression that crosstalk has nothing to do with the phono hiss - of which i still have - does anyone have experience with a non-dedicated phono amp that didn't have a least a little hiss?

thanks
(22-Dec-2015, 16:53)Vivialet Wrote: the configurator now supports to use high-pass filtering together with SAM. Not sure when this feature has been introduced, but some month ago it was not possible. This offers some new possibilities together with a Sub.

I think that this was always possible but one had to first disable SAM, then set the high-pass filter before re-enabling SAM.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
It's always difficult to really confirm sound-differences between firmware versions because you can't switch versions quickly. Normally, I was in the non-believer camp but this time I think I can hear a difference if SAM is enabled. More defined bass and richer sound. 

Being cautious, I might not be able to blindly hear the differences. But it sure sounds very good now. Maybe it's just my good mood right before vacation :-)

Enjoy the music!
I have had a good listen and I do think it is sonically different, but is it better? Yes, it does seem to have a slightly cleaner (more clinical?) sound and bass seems tighter, but to me it is not as enjoyable to listen music in my system. Treble is glassy, in my opinion it is less musical and sounds like Naim Hi-Fi. I know the presentation is different because it now hurts my left ear! Tne soundstage seems narrower and it doesn't make me tap my feet! I have been without my amp for a few weeks as it had to go back for repair. So it could be that my ears have detuned, or that the new component they replaced is running in, but my hot left ear is telling! Back to 8.1.3 for now.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
(22-Dec-2015, 21:27)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi guys,

I wanted to give this a listen more than once before commenting. I'm now coming to the conclusion that this is a nice improvement. More bass for sure. Midrange seems clearer. Perhaps more musical than 8.1.3... 

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, Devialet has removed the 8.1.3 download from the downloads area. I wonder if you could repost the link to share it on Google drive please. I think you uploaded there once before. Thanks and regards.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.