Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco N1Z vs Aurender N10 vs CAD CAT
Well I am off to the most splendid Oxford Audio today to listen to the above.  At the moment I have to say I am not sure what to expect with this one.  My thinking is these are all very expensive highly optimised ways of delivering 1's and 0's to a Devialet, and so I am expecting them all to be good with very marginal differences in sound quality.  Or maybe not?  The Aurender is unique here in utilising AES/EBU connection, supposedly the best sounding input on a Devialet, and taking the 'USB' options, the Melco is more of a bespoke, purpose built device, compared to the CAD CAT which is in part a Windows 8 PC, albeit a PC very finely tuned to the purpose of music delivery, itself containing bespoke parts, carefully considered external PSU's etc. 

Before we start, I can declare my 'expectation bias'.  On reputation, I think the N1Z will edge ahead on sound quality, despite it's lack of AES/EBU.  I think the Aurender may actually offer a slightly different quality to it's sound thanks to it's AES/EBU, whether or not I like this difference remains to be seen. (or heard)  One final aspect of my pre audition expectation bias is that I am wondering if I will be able to discern any difference between these products at all, surely they should all be close to perfect,  but I am also aware that whenever I go to auditions like this I very often end up being utterly staggered by the outcome.  So in conclusion, I am expecting almost zero difference between these beasts, together with being very surprised by the difference.  If any phycologists out there can suss out what my actual expectation is, please let me know!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Maybe Oxford can demo them blind for you Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Apr-2016, 09:23)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Maybe Oxford can demo them blind for you Wink

Double blind (with both eyes closed) Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Nice, looking forward to your field report. I am in the markets looking to buy another digital source, and 2 of the candidates are my target.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Will be good to hear your thoughts , looking forward to it.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Maybe you are confused?
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
how does CAD CAT via AIR or Ethernet sound?
I believe the difference among these boxes will be there..
Very interesting !
Pity the melco n1a is not included n this shootout
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Hi,

Curious also to read your feedback, the Melco with only USB have from my point of view a handicap, with the N10 the SQ is better using AES/EBU than USB with great cable, even recloking via Mutec MC3 USB and then using AES/EBU connection to Devialet does not match the SQ level you get from direct AES/EBU connection from what I have been testing on my system.
F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
OK, first a couple of pictures, we all like a nice picture:

I'm not going to claim credit for the first picture, which makes it look like the Blades were on the sherry, I stole this one from OAC's twitter feed.  (0r maybe the photographer was on the sherry) The next pic was actually mine, and isn't much better to be honest!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12