Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
My Phantom Golds Arrive Friday!!!!!!!
Hi,

I am new to the forum, have previously only been lurking around reading posts, but now thought I should share my thoughts and a few questions.

I got a pair of Golds about a month ago. I went to the store planning to choose between White and Silver as I rarely (or ever) need the full volume. However, the sales guy made a good job convincing me to go for Gold... Since, I haven't owned a pair of Whites or Silvers I can't really compare, but the Golds sound pretty darn good to me.

At first I was a bit disappointed, I didn't get the soundstage or "airyness" I had hoped for, but after playing them for a week or so they started to come alive... 

Now to my main issues with them:
1) My neighbours have started throwing rotten eggs and tomatoes on me when I pass
2) I am about to lose my job, as I come in later and later in the mornings after staying up listening to music all night
3) I am gaining weight, as I rather sit in my sofa listening to music than working out

In short, they are amazingly fun to listen to. I use them as speakers to my TV as well, and watching/listening to movies has reached a whole new level too (even if it is "only" a stereo set-up).

My only (real) issues are:
- the Phantoms and the Dialog are quite warm when on stand-by. Must be wasting a lot of energy.
- bass is sometimes (depending on the song) a little boomy, but that is probably due to placement. Thinking about getting the stands. An EQ in the Spark app would otherwise have been nice
- the Spark app is... well... I can live with it

My questions relate to the above:
1) Should they really be so warm on stand-by? Any solutions for this?
2) Are the trees worth getting?
I think "yes-no-yes" will be the most common answers...
What type of Stands are you using and what height are they?
Are you getting soundstage and airiness now after break in?
(03-Oct-2016, 00:29)Mr_Bill Wrote: What type of Stands are you using and what height are they?
Are you getting soundstage and airiness now after break in?

I am not using any stands, they are standing on a (sturdy) TV bench.
I am getting more/better soundstage than in the beginning, but hope/think it can be improved still.

I think the TV bench is a bit too narrow for the speakers compared to the distance to my listening position (the sofa...). Also, the bench limits how far out I can get them from the back wall (currently about 20 cm between the back of the Phantoms and the wall).
In my experience the Phantom Gold's have a much bigger and more noticeable impact from break-in. I have noticed a dramatic change in the Gold's in the month or so I've had them.

I would get 100+ hours on them before you really hear the difference.
5 Devialet Gold's on branch stands, remote, dialog. Spotify Connect and Amazon Echo Dot driving voice control.
Friends im thinking about to purchase one gold and cause im new in this hifi world want to expose question:

1) will be listened in a room (6x2,5m) is too much for this space?¿
2) i will use only Spotify to reproduce music
3) one is enought or 2 are more than recommended¿
(09-Oct-2016, 18:39)kiosh Wrote: Friends im thinking about to purchase one gold and cause im new in this hifi world want to expose question:

2 are recommended for shure!
(09-Oct-2016, 19:35)Johnnydev Wrote:
(09-Oct-2016, 18:39)kiosh Wrote: Friends im thinking about to purchase one gold and cause im new in this hifi world want to expose question:

2 are recommended for shure!
Arghhhhhh! Don't say that! Hahaha I will die Wink
Well depends what you desire.... Stereo will give you focus and a soundstage as it was intended through the original 2 channel recording.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
2 channel (meaning 2 Phantoms) makes a huge difference for me. Huge. But that is beause I am particularly aware of soundstaging.