Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12
What do I expect from Devialet regarding network?

I expect that their own networks between their components work properly. And I expect a description which attributes and configuration my network has to have to get a flawless audio experience. More would be unrealistic. I am responsible for my network and I should know it best.

Most companies act like Devialet: "I am the only one in your network" or "I am the most important one". So Devialet describes it only for its usage. Unfortunately the description is more confusing than helpful. Devialet does not know your network. Who is doing what in it. Which components and bandwidth has it.

Your problems are getting worse in future. You load your network with more and more features and tasks. Everybody is telling you that everything can be done.

Today you are in charge to design your network appropriate. In the beginning it was like a country road with little traffic. Now it is more like a city with traffic lights, cross roads, heavy traffic, vehicles very different in size and speed and you must control and manage the traffic. It is your city.

Don't get me wrong. Of course you can complain and wait for a solution from Devialet for all of the current network issues. But then you start with wireless video streaming and probably you will have trouble again. What do you like to do in this case?

I expect from network device manufacturers to provide me with a self analyzing and self configuring network. Until then I am more or less on my own. I am at home having fever. So don't take me too seriously ;-)
I think you are perfectly right about network usage at home. And that's the point of an airport extreme to dedicate a network to dialog and phantom.
I understand now why Devizes recommend the airport extreme.
Dialog is not an access point, nor a dhcp server.

So when I get a pair of silver phantoms, and a dialog, I will definitely add an airport.
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium
I think it's irrefutable that Devialet has failed on the connectivity issue. The many posts in this and other threads in this forum are empirical evidence of it. Devialet should supply instructions that, if followed, will lead to a stable setup 100% of the time. If other network components may interfere, they should warn the user and provide instructions for preventing such interference, even to the extent of completely isolating the Dialog and Phantoms from other network components.

That said, I have found a configuration for my Dialog and two Phantoms that so far has been rock solid. I have my cable modem and wireless router in one room and my Dialog and two Phantoms in an adjacent room. The Dialog is connected to my wireless router via powerline adapters. The following is a schematic, where all the components between a set of brackets are in the same room:

[CABLE MODEM <--ethernet--> WIRELESS ROUTER <--ethernet --> POWERLINE ADAPTER] <--house circuitry--> [POWERLINE ADAPTER <--ethernet--> DIALOG <--optical--AIRPORT EXPRESS]

And I have the power cables of my Dialog and two Phantoms all plugged into the same extension cord. The Phantoms connect to the Dialog wirelessly.

Anyone still having problems may wish to try this setup. 

Also, before the latest firmware and software update, whenever I would stream to the Airport Express I would have to also open Spark and adjust the volume up. After the latest update, happily, I no longer have to open Spark to adjust the volume up every time I stream to the Airport Express. If I remember correctly, I think I increased the volume the first time I streamed to the Airport Express after the upgrade. So, the volume must remain there, at least as long as the source doesn't change. If the source changes, I think the volume is suppose to reset to a safe 35.
An additional router and network is not the answer. It makes it just more complicated.

And yes, Dialog is a router, access point and it provides its Phantoms with an IP address. It needs these features to establish a dedicated internal wireless LAN for it and the Phantoms.
(11-Nov-2015, 10:59)karebe Wrote: When yosetup your Phantoms have you been asked for your WiFi and its password? If not why do you think you need an additional router? What for? Dialog and Phantoms user their own dedicated wireless lan for communication and streaming. if they are too far away from each other than they can loose connection.

At first I would bring Dialog closer to the Phantoms. Just with an Ethernet cable to check if it is getting better or not. And in addition look at streamy's advice regarding PLC.

I don't know why - and certainly agree it shouldn't be the case that the speakers die because my iPhone or laptop is taking some bandwidth - but Devialet told me I should do it?

And I have to say so far it seems to have totally fixed the interruptions - and as soon as I plugged dialogue back into main router I got the interruptions again 

One example - it went silent as an alert came into my laptop from outlook, twice in a few minutes 

So for me it is terrible that this would cause the phantoms to cut out (I have 40-60mb download speed over wifi) - but at least I am getting closer to solving 

I know have to buy an Apple airport to see if stops the new issue created where the 2nd wifi network is causing devices to drop off the main network all the time!

It shouldn't be this hard right???? Smile

(By the way my speakers are only 6ft and 10ft from the dialogue in the same room, I can't get it any closer)

Thanks for the advice anyway Smile
(11-Nov-2015, 12:17)eibet Wrote: At the end of the day, Phantom's are not wireless speakers. They need to be connected on the same power strip and wired with ethernet cables. As soon as everybody accept this fact then they will be much happier with their Phantoms. I had a lot of problems. After I connected them through an ethernet switch I have no problems at all and now I can go back to just enjoying how good they actually sound. They are too big and heavy to move around anyways so it really doesn't matter to me that they need to be wired. Good luck with your own setup.

Sorry eibet, but with the same right that you claim your opinion to be the truth, my position, that they work flawless when wireless, is of the same truth value
I am sure you agree that the negative posting on the internet do not represent any statistical relationship to the total number.
It is a pity that your phantoms do not work flawless in your environment for whatever reason. I have no problems and my friend and others here found ways to eliminate their problems.

If you would live in the countryside a Ferrari will surely not perform on a pebble road and you will have to find your specific solution to make full use of your sportscar, whatever this solution might look like.

Cheers,

Krisp
(11-Nov-2015, 20:06)Krisp Wrote: If you would live in the countryside a Ferrari will surely not perform on a pebble road and you will have to find your specific solution to make full use of your sportscar, whatever this solution might look like.

I beg to differ:

[Image: fvkgcjd.jpg]
(11-Nov-2015, 19:29)Jamington2004 Wrote:
(11-Nov-2015, 10:59)karebe Wrote: When yosetup your Phantoms have you been asked for your WiFi and its password? If not why do you think you need an additional router? What for? Dialog and Phantoms user their own dedicated wireless lan for communication and streaming. if they are too far away from each other than they can loose connection.

At first I would bring Dialog closer to the Phantoms. Just with an Ethernet cable to check if it is getting better or not. And in addition look at streamy's advice regarding PLC.

I don't know why - and certainly agree it shouldn't be the case that the speakers die because my iPhone or laptop is taking some bandwidth - but Devialet told me I should do it?

And I have to say so far it seems to have totally fixed the interruptions - and as soon as I plugged dialogue back into main router I got the interruptions again 

One example - it went silent as an alert came into my laptop from outlook, twice in a few minutes 

So for me it is terrible that this would cause the phantoms to cut out (I have 40-60mb download speed over wifi) - but at least I am getting closer to solving 

I know have to buy an Apple airport to see if stops the new issue created where the 2nd wifi network is causing devices to drop off the main network all the time!

It shouldn't be this hard right???? Smile

(By the way my speakers are only 6ft and 10ft from the dialogue in the same room, I can't get it any closer)

Thanks for the advice anyway Smile

Is your second router only for a second WiFi network? I guess the DHCP server on this one is deactivated. Otherwise all your network devices can take the first or the second router as DHCP server and this causes problems. Or give both DHCP servers different address ranges in the same subnet. The first DHCP server which responds to a device's request for an address has won. Without address a device belongs to no network. Nevertheless the behavior of your first router is strange.

And if your Phantoms and Dialog are close together then your problem is somewhere in the streaming path from the source to your Dialog. This is what you have described. It is not a Phantom or Dialog issue.

Your problem confirms my theory how the network with Dialog and Phantoms work and where to look for a solution.
(11-Nov-2015, 20:56)karebe Wrote: Is your second router only for a second WiFi network? I guess the DHCP server on this one is deactivated. Otherwise all your network devices can take the first or the second router as DHCP server and this causes problems. Or give both DHCP servers different address ranges in the same subnet. The first DHCP server which responds to a device's request for an address has won. Without address a device belongs to no network. Nevertheless the behavior of your first router is strange.

And if your Phantoms and Dialog are close together then your problem is somewhere in the streaming path from the source to your Dialog. This is what you have described. It is not a Phantom or Dialog issue.

Your problem confirms my theory how the network with Dialog and Phantoms work and where to look for a solution.

Not really sure - its my old virgin media superhub because they sent me a new one. I know its not active on their system and i cant access the settings because i can only have one my account so it points to the new only

But when i plug it in to my new router i see the old wifi network name (B) as well as the new one (A). 

And as the dialogue is connected to B via ethernet, and all other devices are connected to A via wifi then they no longer piss eachother off?

So i am happy while this works - but at the same time the extra wifi network B now causes issues and devices on A keep dropping off

And i cant disable wireless on B because i cant get to the settings anymore. 

Hence the next step is an Airport (i think)

I never realised when i got them I would need a degree in wirelessness....ness!

Still they are sounding pretty awesome right now so all is forgiven.......until the next time! Smile
(11-Nov-2015, 20:06)Krisp Wrote: If you would live in the countryside a Ferrari will surely not perform on a pebble road and you will have to find your specific solution to make full use of your sportscar, whatever this solution might look like.

What annoys me is that my metaphorical Ferarri is on a metaphorical race track, as I have a small room and 100mb cable broadband with the latest and greatest router Virgin Media have to offer

I would be happy to accept metaphorical liability if my metaphorical location was on a farm in Pembrokeshire with 1mb download speeds!

Metaphorically speaking Smile