Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12
(11-Nov-2015, 03:22)MountainGuy Wrote:
(10-Nov-2015, 18:01)Jamington2004 Wrote:
(09-Nov-2015, 15:47)Johnnydev Wrote: And almost everybody blaam devialet.

I still blame Devialet myself

They do not avertise as needed a seperate network to run them on wifi, or publically reccomend that wiring them is the best way to go

In fact the opposite they push the fact that they are wireless - so for me this should work well on a half decent home network shared with a few other iPhones or succ

I have one of the fastest cable networks on the market, and one of the best newest routers - with the phantoms only 6-10 ft from the dialogue - yet I kept cut outs and crashes, I am told due to sharing with other devices 

My laptop and iPhone don't grind to a halt when something else is trying to use the network!

I am now trying with a dedicated router which seems to fix the issue for the phantoms so far, but is now causing me issues with devices connected to my main router dropping out all the time

It was all going so well for me for a month or so - then before and after the update I started experiencing major cut outs 

So yes - for me I did not buy these thinking I would have to buy an additional router,
Or worse use Ethernet cables to the phantoms - so I think it's  Devialets responsibility to fix this 

IMHO Smile

I'm with you on this.  Other device makers including wirelessly connected devices such as Sonos are so much more stable and simple.
By the introducing sonos there where also Some problems
(10-Nov-2015, 22:55)Teliaved Wrote: They do recommend using airport express or extreme.
Why?
Because the isp box priorities train on cabled ether net over train on WiFi.
Therefore, an airport connected through ether net with the isp box on one side, and with the dialog on the other side, as well as providing a prioritised WiFi access point, is a better solution than connecting dialog to the isp box and using the box WiFi.
This is under assistance, dialog phantom, network,  on Devialet.com

Regards

Thanks for pointing me to the set up information on Devialet

Not once have customer service reccomended me to use an Airport in all my conversations about stability! They only suggested a dedicated router after a week of discussions 

Maybe if they made that a bit more public people would stop "blaming" them before having tried the set up they knew they were getting themselves into when they purchased?

Do you know if this will still cause I a conflict with devices on my main router dropping out due to an additional wifi network being present?

Or would the Airport only be set to work on Ethernet to dialogue?
(11-Nov-2015, 09:42)Jamington2004 Wrote:
(10-Nov-2015, 22:55)Teliaved Wrote: They do recommend using airport express or extreme.
Why?
Because the isp box priorities train on cabled ether net over train on WiFi.
Therefore, an airport connected through ether net with the isp box on one side, and with the dialog on the other side, as well as providing a prioritised WiFi access point, is a better solution than connecting dialog to the isp box and using the box WiFi. o
This is under assistance, dialog phantom, network,  on Devialet.com

Regards

Thanks for pointing me to the set up information on Devialet

Not once have customer service reccomended me to use an Airport in all my conversations about stability! They only suggested a dedicated router after a week of discussions 

Maybe if they made that a bit more public people would stop "blaming" them before having tried the set up they knew they were getting themselves into when they purchased?

Do you know if this will still cause I a conflict with devices on my main router dropping out due to an additional wifi network being present?

Or would the Airport only be set to work on Ethernet to dialogue?

When you setup your Phantoms have you been asked for your WiFi and its password? If not why do you think you need an additional router? What for? Dialog and Phantoms user their own dedicated wireless lan for communication and streaming. if they are too far away from each other than they can loose connection.

At first I would bring Dialog closer to the Phantoms. Just with an Ethernet cable to check if it is getting better or not. And in addition look at streamy's advice regarding PLC.
A friend of mine had problems in his home environment. Playback was without errors when he moved the Dialog closer to the Phantoms (from approx. 15m with several walls to approx. 3-7m with one wall in between).
He eliminated his other problems when he only used his PC with Spark as source. With his iPad there are still problems when he streams music directly from the iPads music library (big music files > 10-15 min do not start right away). When he uses Spark just to control the Spark on the PC, everything is fine.
These problems are home made and IMHO Devialet cannot be blamed for that.
At my place, I only had some stuttering with 24/96 or 192 files, but since I connected my iMac via Ethernet to my WLAN router, where Dialog is also connected to, everything works flowlessly.

Cheers,

Krisp
(11-Nov-2015, 12:07)Krisp Wrote: A friend of mine had problems in his home environment. Playback was without errors when he moved the Dialog closer to the Phantoms (from approx. 15m with several walls to approx. 3-7m with one wall in between).
He eliminated his other problems when he only used his PC with Spark as source. With his iPad there are still problems when he streams music directly from the iPads music library (big music files > 10-15 min do not start right away). When he uses Spark just to control the Spark on the PC, everything is fine.
At my place, I only had some stuttering with 24/96 or 192 files, but since I connected my iMac via Ethernet to my WLAN router, where Dialog is also connected to, everything works flowlessly.

Cheers,

Krisp
At the end of the day, Phantom's are not wireless speakers. They need to be connected on the same power strip and wired with ethernet cables. As soon as everybody accept this fact then they will be much happier with their Phantoms. I had a lot of problems. After I connected them through an ethernet switch I have no problems at all and now I can go back to just enjoying how good they actually sound. They are too big and heavy to move around anyways so it really doesn't matter to me that they need to be wired. Good luck with your own setup.
Last weekend I have changed the first time from wired Dialog and Phantoms to wireless. Just to see if I will get problems. Dialog and Phantoms are close together but they use different power strips. I have had no problems at all. But I go back to wired.

However I think you are right. Ethernet is the most stable and reliable solution. Wireless is possible in a small environment. But if you think of using Phantoms in different rooms controlled by one Dialog then they are not positioned close together. I have got four Phantoms and they will play in different floors. PLC is not reliable yet and therefore only Ethernet works.
(11-Nov-2015, 12:17)eibet Wrote:
(11-Nov-2015, 12:07)Krisp Wrote: A friend of mine had problems in his home environment. Playback was without errors when he moved the Dialog closer to the Phantoms (from approx. 15m with several walls to approx. 3-7m with one wall in between).

Cheers,

Krisp
At the end of the day, Phantom's are not wireless speakers. They need to be connected on the same power strip and wired with ethernet cables. As soon as everybody accept this fact then they will be much happier with their Phantoms. I had a lot of problems. After I connected them through an ethernet switch I have no problems at all and now I can go back to just enjoying how good they actually sound. They are too big and heavy to move around anyways so it really doesn't matter to me that they need to be wired. Good luck with your own setup.

Hi ebet,
How can you say that??

My two silver phantoms running from the beginning without ethernet cables and not with the dialog in the same powerstrip and it function perfectly and with an awesome sound The best i ever had.

My dialog is connected from a netgear Nighthawk router with an audioquest cat 700 cable. Everything is in the same room and not on the same powerstrip. I don't use any powerfilter etc. ( i have tried that but it sounds better without, just like as by naim amps etc.)

In the last months i have done several times a complete factory reset (modem, router, then dialog and after that the phantoms) and after that the most things functions again perfect.
I had also phase shift from the phantoms by using the audioquest diamond Toslink ( sounds also great with that from my tv) but with the last software updates no problem at all anymore.

So when good connected, the phantoms are really wireless without any problems and with the best sound!
(11-Nov-2015, 07:46)EvPa Wrote: As per my latest exchanges with Devialet (i.e. last night), some issues seem to be caused by port 24242 not being forwarded properly.

Follow-up on this (note: Dialog/Phantom are connected with Ethernet cables)

After opening said port everything seems to be OK, I went from extremely frequent "cuts" (playback brutally stops and "One or more Phantom are missing" message appears in Spark), sometime several per minute, to a few hours without issues (I will continue testing for some more time).

The Dialog had already been identified as the source of this problem (as everything worked properly while it was not connected) but the exact cause had not yet been pinpointed.
So if anyone has similar issues, try opening port 24242 (apparently port 24242 is open by default on Apple routers, hence why Devialet recommends using one).
(11-Nov-2015, 13:15)Johnnydev Wrote:
(11-Nov-2015, 12:17)eibet Wrote:

Cheers,

Krisp

Hi ebet,
How can you say that??

My two silver phantoms running from the beginning without ethernet cables and not with the dialog in the same powerstrip and it function perfectly and with an awesome sound The best i ever had.

My dialog is connected from a netgear Nighthawk router with an audioquest cat 700 cable. Everything is in the same room and not on the same powerstrip. I don't use any powerfilter etc. ( i have tried that but it sounds better without, just like as by naim amps etc.)

In the last months i have done several times a complete factory reset (modem, router, then dialog and after that the phantoms) and after that the most things functions again perfect.
I had also phase shift from the phantoms by using the audioquest diamond Toslink ( sounds also great with that from my tv) but with the last software updates no problem at all anymore.

So when good connected, the phantoms are really wireless without any problems and with the best sound!
Sorry if I upset you, but I can say that due to my own experiences and from reading a lot on this forum.
If it works wireless for you than I think you are one of the few lucky ones, or maybe you have few other products interferring or a better router than me. Who knows. The majority are having problems.
Like you said, you have made numerous factory resets and now it suddenly works.
Devialet has not made any changes to the unstable connection so if it suddenly works you're most likely just lucky.
If you use ethernet cables between phantoms and dialog you are even more likely to get a stable connection without any problems.
(11-Nov-2015, 13:30)EvPa Wrote:
(11-Nov-2015, 07:46)EvPa Wrote: As per my latest exchanges with Devialet (i.e. last night), some issues seem to be caused by port 24242 not being forwarded properly.

Follow-up on this (note: Dialog/Phantom are connected with Ethernet cables)

After opening said port everything seems to be OK, I went from extremely frequent "cuts" (playback brutally stops and "One or more Phantom are missing" message appears in Spark), sometime several per minute, to a few hours without issues (I will continue testing for some more time).

The Dialog had already been identified as the source of this problem (as everything worked properly while it was not connected) but the exact cause had not yet been pinpointed.
So if anyone has similar issues, try opening port 24242 (apparently port 24242 is open by default on Apple routers, hence why Devialet recommends using one).

This confuses me. eMule a file sharing software uses port 24242. If it is opened in your router than eMule between Internet and your LAN is allowed. In a LAN all ports are open by design at first. I cannot see the link between Dialog/Phantom and eMule. Or am I totally wrong?