Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review Hans Wetzel
Excellent review, especially in its provision of some critical technical information that I've not been able to find before such as the true frequency range at certain decibels. I did think the 16hz to be overly optimistic as it was not remotely close to 105db. So the information was much appreciated. Another interesting thing is the additional information about the amplifiers. I do wonder if 1500 watts RMS is accurate. RMS?? 1500 watts? Wow! This is about double of the D800 when comparing stereo to stereo.

The level of technical information alone makes this review more than worthwhile, and also, seem to demonstrate that Devialet made a special effort to facilitate the review. In a sense Devialet is a partner in making sure that this review come into being.

However, there were just enough little niggles where he is inaccurate (i.e. "tweeter is positioned coaxially at the center and slightly IN FRONT of the 5” ringed, aluminum midrange driver", or implying that there will be a USB audio input capability etc) that made me feel as if he was encouaged to do a positive review by minimizing some of the flaws and also somewhat exaggerate the positives. For example, the line about, "....to say nothing of Devialet’s superb Spark app" was interesting. As a professional reviewer, I assume he knows of the options other there such as Roon or BlueSound. The adjective superb occures not in a vacumn, but in the context of what the larger market is offering.

BUT overall, the best review yet and I really do appreciate the article, especially for the data presented. He's a good communicator.
The correlation between decibels and frequency response are actually listed on the Devialet website on the specification tab

16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 82dB SPL | 28Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 92dB SPL | 49Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 102dB SPL

I am not sure how much he was really in contact with Devialet for information, or just gave that impression as there are some technical mistakes/assumptions, like the USB connectivity you mentioned.

As for RMS vs Peak output. If it is "really" Vmax peak to peak, then that would be 2100W RMS for the Silver phantom. But if it is 3000W PMPO (peak music power output) it is totally a useless marketing measurement that has no calculation one can take from it. Based on my own perceptions and comparisons, it doesn't seem anywhere near close to 1500W RMS to me.
How this could be? it doesn't make sense
if u connect say dvd optical to phantom and hdmi to tv you can benefit from the low processing speed of a tv and reduce the lag / iif u r using the optical out direct to the phantom the processing speed of tv doesn't count. ???? so it must have a lag
or are there phantoms around with no delays??
(27-Jan-2016, 15:17)RobLnd Wrote: How this could be? it doesn't  make sense
if u connect say dvd optical to phantom and hdmi to tv you can benefit from the low processing speed of a tv and reduce the lag / iif u r using the optical out direct to the phantom the processing speed of tv doesn't count. ???? so it must have a lag

I've never experienced a delay with audio from my TV.

I only use a Xbox One to watch all my films etc (streamed from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now etc). No lag or delay.

I've read that many people get this problem, but I've not experienced it.
(27-Jan-2016, 18:05)stonedragon Wrote:
(27-Jan-2016, 15:17)RobLnd Wrote: How this could be? it doesn't  make sense

I've never experienced a delay with audio from my TV.

I only use a Xbox One to watch all my films etc (streamed from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now etc). No lag or delay.

I've read that many people get this problem, but I've not experienced it.
but are the dialog/phantom connected to the xbox via optical then?
Yeah its important to separate out those that connect via a device rather than the TV output. For example an Xbox output via optical will be delayed from what I read about 60-80ms by Dialog/Phantom. However a normal LCD TV usually has about 50ms delay as well. This would be close enough. However, if you take the optical output from the TV directly, you may run into issues as this output is already delayed to match the TV picture assuming the audio device will be instant.
(27-Jan-2016, 10:52)jonstatt Wrote: The correlation between decibels and frequency response are actually listed on the Devialet website on the specification tab

16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 82dB SPL | 28Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 92dB SPL | 49Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 102dB SPL

Does anyone know how these correlate to the volume scale in spark? E.g when Bluetooth connects the volume defaults to "70" would that be about 82db?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
70 is 0dB meaning that a 0dB FS signal will be at 105dB on the silver and 99dB on the white.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
The full Hans Wetzel review is now on the site:

http://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.ph...udspeakers

I think it is a pretty fair review with lots of useful information about the system.