Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review Hans Wetzel
(01-Feb-2016, 14:47)andrew_brown Wrote: The full Hans Wetzel review is now on the site:

http://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.ph...udspeakers

I think it is a pretty fair review with lots of useful information about the system.

I think most interesting is this: 24-bit/192kHz, and up to DSD64
Has any one tried DSD files on the Phantom?
(01-Feb-2016, 17:45)davidadamson Wrote:
(01-Feb-2016, 14:47)andrew_brown Wrote: The full Hans Wetzel review is now on the site:

I think it is a pretty fair review with lots of useful information about the system.

At the moment DSD doesn't work.....Spark won't catalogue DSD files. But the hardware looks capable of it.
I will try direct optical in to Phantom that will negate spark
I have a feeling it will not be able to handle that amount of data
We will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-Feb-2016, 17:45)davidadamson Wrote:

I'm not sure you can trust all the technical data in this review. After all he states that the Phantom has a captive power cable. Has he really even seen one?
I re-read the review and see he finds the midrange (in his words) gorgeous. I've read other reviews where they found the midrange rather cold...which makes me think they were not too happy.

Personally I think the Phantoms sound fine, although I wish they were just a tad "warmer". But this is nitpicking. Perhaps the definition of good, let alone gorgeous, midbass is quite subjective.
(02-Feb-2016, 03:22)kameraguy Wrote: I re-read the review and see he finds the midrange (in his words) gorgeous. I've read other reviews where they found the midrange rather cold...which makes me think they were not too happy.

Personally I think the Phantoms sound fine, although I wish they were just a tad "warmer". But this is nitpicking. Perhaps the definition of good, let alone gorgeous, midbass is quite subjective.

I wish someone with the right equipment would play a test track through their Phantom (frequency sweep) and plot a graph so we can actually see what the response looks like. It "sounds" to me like there is a bit of a U shape (accentuated treble and bass) to me which means the mids will sound a bit repressed, particularly lower mids.
(01-Feb-2016, 19:13)jonstatt Wrote:
(01-Feb-2016, 17:45)davidadamson Wrote: I think most interesting is this: 24-bit/192kHz, and up to DSD64

At the moment DSD doesn't work.....Spark won't catalogue DSD files. But the hardware looks capable of it.

Thanks for noting this. I could not find verification on whether the Phantom/Dialog supported DSD, and the folks at Devialet did not correct that point when fact checking.

(01-Feb-2016, 23:17)Gremlin Wrote:
(01-Feb-2016, 17:45)davidadamson Wrote: I think most interesting is this: 24-bit/192kHz, and up to DSD64

I'm not sure you can trust all the technical data in this review. After all he states that the Phantom has a captive power cable. Has he really even seen one?

I have. Two, actually! Thank you for catching that, however. I did not unplug the power cords until after I wrote the review and had to send them back to Devialet, and I forgot to update that point.

(02-Feb-2016, 13:41)jonstatt Wrote:
(02-Feb-2016, 03:22)kameraguy Wrote: I re-read the review and see he finds the midrange (in his words) gorgeous. I've read other reviews where they found the midrange rather cold...which makes me think they were not too happy.

I wish someone with the right equipment would play a test track through their Phantom (frequency sweep) and plot a graph so we can actually see what the response looks like. It "sounds" to me like there is a bit of a U shape (accentuated treble and bass) to me which means the mids will sound a bit repressed, particularly lower mids.

We were not able to measure the Silver Phantom in the anechoic chamber at the NRC prior to the review going live, but our goal is to measure one in the near future. Keep an eye out on the review going forward. I'm as interested in the results as you are!

Thanks for reading.

Best,
Hans Wetzel
(02-Feb-2016, 15:37)velocity Wrote: Thanks for reading.

Best,
Hans Wetzel

Didn't realise you were here Hans. It's great that you are though and reading the feedback. I very much look forward to your further tests (anechoic chamber) in the near future. And although the forum community always pick holes in any review, I did appreciate your review as it is one of the most relevant to the audiophile audience so far. Thank you
I also look forward to anechoic chamber measurements.
In the meantime, if anyone wants some light relief, see the following thread but please NOTE the caveats.
If necessary, take a pinch of salt Big Grin

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2117
(02-Feb-2016, 17:49)alandbush Wrote: I also look forward to anechoic chamber measurements.
In the meantime, if anyone wants some light relief,  see the following thread but please NOTE the caveats.
If necessary, take a pinch of salt  Big Grin

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2117

Great effort and I am glad you posted this (I had somehow missed your post before now). As soon as I saw the dip at 150Hz though, I immediately realised you were hitting room effects even at 30cm away. It gives the impression of the slight U shape I expected to see though, but only an anechoic chamber will reveal the true response we all want to see. I would have thought you could put the mic as close as 10cm away with the speaker in the middle of the room to try and minimise room effects.