Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ripping cd's
Gentlemen (/ Ladies too no offense here ) - Has anyone use the DSP Feature "Dynamic Range Compression" in dbpoweramp?

I m told that the hi-res file (especially 24bit +) has a huge dynamic range and the volume on quite part is set very low and high volume goes overboard. this is good but for some give their room accoustics (My room need huge improvement), this might be a probelm in low volume. in 16bit the dynamic range is less hence we can hear well.

I have asked this question on dbpoweramp forum today will update what i hear from there. In case anyone used this feature, would like to hear tips regarding how to use this feature.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Project of CD Ripping is still ON. I wanted to know the BKM from other dbpoweramp users.

Can any of you send me what is the foldering you use ? [ example [artist]/[album]/[track]?]

i use the above, no major concern but some times the metadata is not available so i end up typing is manually while ripping.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
In dBpoweramps terms, I use:
[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various_Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]/[album]/[IFMULTI]CD[disc]/[][track]._[IFCOMP][artist]_-_[][title]
(18-Apr-2015, 00:06)jjo Wrote: In dBpoweramps terms, I use:
[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various_Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]/[album]/[IFMULTI]CD[disc]/[][track]._[IFCOMP][artist]_-_[][title]

Wow thats good Smile . Thank you.

I m no software expert but could decode until i hit [][] . However I will copy ( Tongue ) this string and try. 
It means that if the album artist tag exsists, the top level directory will be named after it, if the record is a compilation the top level dir will be "Various_Artists" and if it's not a compilation, it'll be named after the artist field.

I guess I could explain the rest as well...
the comes the album name and if the album has several discs, there will be a directory CD<number of disc>.

If the album is a compilation, the track will be named <track number>._<artist>_-_<track name> and if it is not a compilation, the track will just be called <track number>._<track name>.
hi jjo - Working well I m okay with this. However for FLAC to Mp3 converstion for my iphone, i m simply doing [album]/[artist] - [track] to keep it simply. but on the Disk i have simply copied your string. Ripping is going on since evening.

Thanks,
/Jnan
Interesting link:

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?tit...CD_rippers

It's one of those things that makes me realise that I have many things to learn, what on earth is" pre-emphasis detection" for example......
(11-Sep-2015, 11:09)Confused Wrote: ... what on earth is" pre-emphasis detection" for example......
There's a description of this feature in the list that follows the notes beneath the table of rippers.
(24-Mar-2015, 10:21)Jnan_devi Wrote:
(24-Mar-2015, 00:10)Will Wrote:
(22-Mar-2015, 17:41)Womaz Wrote: Took me about 6 months in total as I lost the discipline of doing a few discs per day. Well worth it in the end though, good luck.

Only 200!  I have been collecting CDs for since they first came out and it took me almost a year to rip my collection of 3,000 or so CDs.  As most of my CDs are classical music - I had to spend a lot of time modifying the metadata to ensure that my collection is indexed in a consistent way.  The results are well worth it - I am listening to a lot more music - including stuff I had forgotten about!

WIll ... all of sudden, my pain to rip CDs, feel really diminished Smile long way to go and will crib less now .... So can you share BKM like if you have all ripped files/folders into one big folder or you have sperate folder for classic, jazz, hi-res, and where do you keep hi-res downloads because i have good set of hi-res downloads? because end of the day once we have a good streamer + their UI, it will index entire stuff into one big DB and ofcouse all info is available like albums, artist genre etc ... just asking to see how others are doing ...

Guys,
i have the Digibit Aria Music Server. It uses iPad with its own app to control, sort and play the music. It rips a CD in less than 5 minutes and it could not be easier. Insert CD, wait, CD is ejected, look at the iPad and the CD is there with cover image and all info and metatags. High end SQ too!
I've used XLD because I like the idea of checking the rip against a db of rips, but I find that it makes more fatal errors than iTunes with error correction so after having ripped files fail to play too many times I no longer use XLD. Besides, iTunes is smarter about metadata and conveniences like replacing downloaded files with ripped files (I try free music as given away in MP3 but buy it on CD if I like it).

As for file format, I find that uncompressed lossless formats (AIFF, WAV, uncompressed FLAC, etc.) sound slightly but noticeably better than compressed lossless (ALAC, FLAC, etc.) which in turn sound better than compressed lossy (AAC, MP3, etc.) playing from SSDs on my Macs (using Amarra or other bit-perfect software). I assume this is because decompression takes processing power which creates electrical noise and more than offsets the power needed to transfer bigger uncompressed files. Therefore I store most of my music as ALAC to save space but keep my favorite music in AIFF if it is recorded well enough to care about the difference.