Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some sign of Expert line
(30-Sep-2022, 09:58)Cylob Wrote: I typed a rant about not upgrading, not fixing bugs and so. Counted to ten and deleted my message.
I gave up on them a long time ago. They will never get another euro out of my wallet.
Still enjoying my Expert 200 though. (And praying that it keeps on working Wink)

You would enjoy it even more if it was a 220 Pro. Big Grin
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(30-Sep-2022, 13:13)Pim Wrote:
(30-Sep-2022, 09:58)Cylob Wrote: I typed a rant about not upgrading, not fixing bugs and so. Counted to ten and deleted my message.
I gave up on them a long time ago. They will never get another euro out of my wallet.
Still enjoying my Expert 200 though. (And praying that it keeps on working Wink)

I kept my money in my pocket. And never regret it. I figured it would be the same story again: no upgrades, no updates, no fixes. Which was true.
Will invest in a future amp.
Besides, I didn't like the way they went for the more digital, harsh sound signature with each firmware update. I figured it could go really wrong with a 220 Pro in combination with my setup.
Like I said: happy as it is with AIR working on the vintage 7.1.3 firmware / Magnepans.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(01-Oct-2022, 10:40)Cylob Wrote:
(30-Sep-2022, 13:13)Pim Wrote:

I kept my money in my pocket. And never regret it. I figured it would be the same story again: no upgrades, no updates, no fixes. Which was true.
Will invest in a future amp.
Besides, I didn't like the way they went for the more digital, harsh sound signature with each firmware update. I figured it could go really wrong with a 220 Pro in combination with my setup.
Like I said: happy as it is with AIR working on the vintage 7.1.3 firmware / Magnepans.

I still have my old 200. I don't know where that harsh sound signature on the Pro series myth comes from but it's just not true. I also know the Maggie 1.7s well and have heard them on different amps. They sounded pretty ordinary on some Nuprime amps. Now THAT was bright. The poor dealer thought he was doing me a favour because "Devialet amps are class D too". Nope, my Od'A doesn't sound harsh. No comparison.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
My D400 is still going strong and I am very happy with the sound of my system. Maybe there will be a new Expert model in the future. Who knows. But it is not like I feel I need to upgrade. I will consider a successor of the Expert Pro if it comes and the price is right.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
I spoke briefly with the swedish importer the other day regarding the recent activity about the Expert line on social media. I asked if he knew if this meant anything at all. The answer I got was that the Expert line will continue and he hinted that there is something going on with the Experts. A little hope here maybe, but often we've heard this earlier from Devialet.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
I guess if really something should happen they want to have money for it. Then you get new functionality, new firmware and new bugs that will never be fixed...
But still very satisfied with my Expert Pro soundwise (ignoring all the bugs).
The Expert Pro line is truly an extraordinary bit of state-of-the-art hardware engineering. But in today’s world, expectations are that the software must also evolve to keep pace. Early Devialet literature espoused that it would. The release of the Pro CI stated that it would. But while Devialet has always excelled in the hardware realm, software has never been their strength (nor has customer communication but that’s a whole separate issue). So even if there is a firmware update coming (and i have no reason to think there is), I’m not holding my breath for any significant improvements. But hey, I’ll get excited if they just fix/improve the configurator.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
After exchange with Devialet stuff there is something to be announced in November but that is nothing Expert line related. Even on the contrary, again nothing new with Expert line.
Wow, now we passed 2 years of not a single firmware update.
Devialet keeps on adding SAM profiles. After some pleasant email exchanges with their service desk, they came back to me with the message that now the SAM-profile of Bowers & Wilkins 801D4 was available. For me a sign that they still support the Expert line.

B.t.w, although the 801D4 sounds great, SAM really adds something. Difficult to define of course, but more contour and better natural sounding bass that also enhanced the overall sound reproduction. Very happy.

Rob

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Devialet 440 CI Pro; AudioQuest Castle Rock; Bowers & Wilkins 801D4; Auralic Aries G1 with Hoerwege power supply, CD Player Meridian 507; Qobuz Studio
(04-Oct-2022, 21:48)mdconnelly Wrote: The Expert Pro line is truly an extraordinary bit of state-of-the-art hardware engineering.  But in today’s world, expectations are that the software must also evolve to keep pace.  Early Devialet literature espoused that it would.  The release of the Pro CI stated that it would.  But while Devialet has always excelled in the hardware realm, software has never been their strength (nor has customer communication but that’s a whole separate issue).  So even if there is a firmware update coming (and i have no release to think there is), I’m not holding my breath for any significant improvements.  But hey, I’ll get excited if they just fix/improve the configurator.

I guess the configurator is not the problem, most bugs are in the firmware itself.

I noticed following bugs (only for my configuration with Expert 1000 pro)
if you enable SweetRoom the highpass for the speakers is not working anymore.
if you use SAM you can only use 4 or 5 of the sweet room filters
if you connect the sub to the pre out of a slave changing the output voltage has no effect
the SAM profile for my Giya2 is unusable since the upgrade to SAM2 (reported to Devialet, but never fixed)
changing the cut off frequency for the tone controls does not change anything in the output (measured with REW)

So lots of serious bugs in a 28k amp system...

On the other hand I don't know any other amp with this sound quality which has all these features...