Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Gold vs 2 Classic (2000W) after DOS2
Video 
I really need help with deciding if I will use the 50 day return policy for my 1 Gold Phantom and get 2 Classic for almost the same price since I can't afford a new Gold Phantom as of now. After the recent update for the Premier line, the Classic got a new max max peak of 2000W and 103 dB. Anyone have any ideas if the sound of the Classic is now even closer to the Gold?

Kind regards Jonatan.
I own a few Gold and Classics - go for two classics no doubt.
(31-Oct-2019, 11:17)Jm93 Wrote: I really need help with deciding if I will use the 50 day return policy for my 1 Gold Phantom and get 2 Classic for almost the same price since I can't afford a new Gold Phantom as of now. After the recent update for the Premier line, the Classic got a new max max peak of 2000W and 103 dB. Anyone have any ideas if the sound of the Classic is now even closer to the Gold?
A stereo pair of Phantoms is always better than a more expensive lonely one. Too early to tell what impact DOS2 has on the sound of any of the Phantoms.
Can you come with an example as to why I should opt for Classics instead of Gold? I'm very anxious to get stereo of course but how much is Gold in Stereo vs Classic in stereo worth...?

And yeah I still have 30 days left to return the Gold. So I'm hoping I'll know way more by then.
(31-Oct-2019, 12:15)Jm93 Wrote: Can you come with an example as to why I should opt for Classics instead of Gold? I'm very anxious to get stereo of course but how much is Gold in Stereo vs Classic in stereo worth...?

And yeah I still have 30 days left to return the Gold. So I'm hoping I'll know way more by then.
I own a pair of Golds.  I heard the Classic as a single but I did listen to a pair of Reactor 900s, the next step down.

Inspired by lots of questions by @HublotTimer, I compared a pair of Reactor 900s to a pair of Golds at a retail shop. Undoubtedly, the Golds are a little better. However, after spending the last part of the comparison solely on the Reactor 900s, not listening for differences but listening to the music, I can say that I can easily live with the Reactor 900s.

Have a read of Romain's thread as well.
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Gold-vs-Silver-vs-White
He compared the Reactors to the Classic, wisely chose not to listen to the Golds and now a delighted owner of a pair of Reactor 600s.

The Golds are twice the price of the Reactor 900 (slightly less than twice of Classic) but are only a "little" better. Would you pay double the money for a slightly bigger sound stage and slightly more detail?  The only way to answer your question on what is it "worth" is to listen for yourself and make a decision based on your circumstances. Do you have the budget?  Do you need the power and extra loudness?  Can you hear the differences? 
So if a pair of golds are a little bit better than reactor 900, how would a pair of classics stack up to reactor 900? I'm assuming that when you push the reactors they will lack on the low end compared to two Classic. I'm really curious about the new update for the Classic. I appreciate the responses I get. Thank you.
All Phantom Premier now have the same sound signature as of DOS2. The only differences are power and frequency range. The Gold is also a little more accurate due to the different tweeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Would be nice if someone can confirm if DOS2 on the classic does indeed sound more powerful than previously. I do enjoy the power of the Gold but I have a feeling it won't be more powerful now than the Classic. At 70-75 % volume It seems that the Gold can't push more power on the low end, only on mids and highs. It gets louder but I want that sweet rumbling it's capable of. Two whites certainly will be good but how much more powerful would two Golds be. The Gold also seem to not come truly alive until around 50-60% volume, is this the case with the white as well?

I'm sorry for asking questions that are similar.
(31-Oct-2019, 19:06)Jm93 Wrote: Would be nice if someone can confirm if DOS2 on the classic does indeed sound more powerful than previously.

It does. I have a Classic Phantom and it is considerably louder, more powerful, wider, tighter, and open in the sound. It’s shockingly more powerful. Hurts my ears now at full volume where before it didn’t. My usual listening volume of 60% is now what about 70% used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
(31-Oct-2019, 19:06)Jm93 Wrote: Would be nice if someone can confirm if DOS2 on the classic does indeed sound more powerful than previously. I do enjoy the power of the Gold but I have a feeling it won't be more powerful now than the Classic. At 70-75 % volume It seems that the Gold can't push more power on the low end, only on mids and highs. It gets louder but I want that sweet rumbling it's capable of. Two whites certainly will be good but how much more powerful would two Golds be. The Gold also seem to not come truly alive until around 50-60% volume, is this the case with the white as well?

I'm sorry for asking questions that are similar.
 It is different listening to a single one than a pair. I have a large room with high ceilings and at 50%, the Golds easily fill the room.  The sound stage of a stereo pair is what fills the room.  A single one has a much smaller soundstage, even at very high volumes.

Suggest you go into a Devialet store and listen to a stereo pair to understand. If there is no convenient Devialet store, go to one which sells wireless speakers e.g. Sonos and listen to the difference between a single one and a stereo pair.

You have to make a decision on whether you can afford 2 Golds, perhaps waiting for a few months?  But if you cannot afford to buy 2 Golds, I am confident you will enjoy a stereo pair of Classic for a long time.