Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Gold vs Silver vs White...
Hello guys.

I'm a little Frenchman seeking help in the not-so-vast world of Devialet line-up.

Had to open a new thread as my situation doesn't look like others (but that's the same for everyone right ?)...
Excuse me in advance for any English mistakes. I should be able to communicate though.

My name is Romain, I live in France near Paris. My audio experience is : one HomePod, one Sony Atmos soundbar and a Bose SoundTouch 20 i sold recently. Et voila. 
Always enjoyed listening to music. Now I want to level up all these items.
Still need my HomePod which sounds fantastic regarding the size of this thing (my flat is all-Apple equipped and I use this HomePod as my central command, including my Philips Hue lights).
Still need my soundbar for my Sony 4K.

But I want to add something new. Something great to listen to music in a finally different way.

Went to a local store (general one, Boulanger) and discovered a Naim Mu-So (first gen). Was impressed.
Decided this could be my new stuff. Went on the internet, did some research and discovered that Mu-So 2 was even better.

I was prepared to spend about 1.000€. But not 1.500€. But TBH I can, and I decided that I work for myself now and I don't need to spare too much right now. Living my life. So why not 1.500€.

And then I discovered that Mu-So 2 was always compared to Devialet Phantom blablabla.

Went on Devialet website which I knew it exists since I saw an Unboxing Therapy video of the Phantom (Gold) and I saw that the Phantom lineup starts at 1.590€. I was like "OK, 1.500, 1.600 same same".

Then I searched for all reviews I could find, found your site during this period of time and kept searching, trying to find some Mu-So 2 vs. Phantom reviews which doesn't exist I'm kind of sure now (they sometime speak about the one or the other but never compare it front to front).

Two days ago I spoke to a colleague at work who told me a friend of his actually has a Devialet at home and that I cloud totaly come by and listen to it.
Which I did yesterday.

In fact he had one Phantom Premier "White" and two stereo-paired Silver. No Gold to be seen.
And that was an intense mistake I made listening to two Phantom instead of just one. I was gobsmacked.
Literally.

EVERY KIND OF MUSIC I HAVE WAS LIKE BRAND NEW AND POWERFUL.
(I listen to Phil Collins, U2, Aretha Franklin, Chainsmokers, John Williams, Steve Jablonsky, Jamie Cullum and people like these).

So, now I want a Devialet.

Idc about people saying this is no HiFi etc, I just love the way it sounds and how it goes through me. Idc about the response at 25-70Hz and blablabla...

Question is : I have more than 1.600€ to spend. But I don't want to do it if not necessary. 
I can buy a Gold one. I can buy a Silver. I can buy a White. I can buy two Reactors.
But for now, I can afford to buy 2 White or Silver or Gold but I just don't want to do it for now. I have other plans etc, you know the song.

What would YOU do :
- take my time discovering Devialet at my rhythm, I buy a White (which sounded fantastic btw) then a second White in a few months ?
- buy a Silver one then a second white ?
- buy a Gold one, which is TOTALLY unreasonable ? And laaaater add a second one ?
- buy immediately 2 Phantom 900 ?

How does the White compare to the Silver and the Gold ? 
Is it really really better in Silver and even in Gold ? 

Is it possible to pair one White then a Gold when I'll buy it later ? 
Or do I have to pair two identical Phantom in order to have stereo ?

In my mind :
- White = Silver, but less powerful.
- White << Gold.

Is the White anywhere inferior to Silver ?

I am about to be raedy to buy a Gold one, but it's 2.600€ I wasn't supposed to spend. Could do a lot of things with this. 
And even if I buy a White there's still 1.000€ gap between the two.

What would you do guys ? 

Is it so stupid to buy a White then a second White when I could buy a Gold then a second Gold ? 
Maybe 2 White are better than 1 Gold ? 

I am so confused but so excited for this topic.

Love you guys (and girls of course).

Hope you'll help me ! 

Kisses.  Heart

R.
Romain,

In my opinion and experience, two of any kind is better than a single one.

So my recommendation would be that you to a Devialet shop, or dealer or one of their pods that they have in some Fnac and listen by yourself a pair of reactors 900.

For the record, I consider that a pair of reactors properly setup is probably as good a system as mine for just a fraction of the cost.

Good listening,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
- buy a Gold one, which is TOTALLY unreasonable ? And laaaater add a second one ?

This is what I would recommend when later for you is not too far in the future. For sure 2 Premier or two Silvers will sound better than a mono Gold. But the Gold in stereo is like day and night when you compare to Silvers or Premiers (white). I haven’t heard the Reactor line, but from physics considerations they only can play in a different category. They can be sufficient for a small room or office space, but as a main speaker in a main living room a Gold Phantom pair can deliver spectacular sound quality in an unbeatable form factor.
Right now stock seems to be short on silvers and whites which would suggest something new is coming. I'd wait a while. Wink
Thank you guys for your prompt answers !

I was convinced I would get such answers as I think I already knew mine...

Merci Jean Marie pour ton avis. Je n’ai pas vraiment possibilité de tester 2 Reactor.
And as Streamy said, they shouldn’t play in the same category !

My living room measures about 20sqft, one couch, one TV, 2 full-glass opening doors.

But I’m deeply convinced I want a Phantom then a second one instead of 2 Reactors.
I already know I’ll be able to spend again 2.6k€ but not in future months, let’s say one year or so..
My salary is gonna jump and I want to congratulate myself a little bit LoL.

Maybe I should go for a Gold. Or a White. Then sell it and go for Gold. Or just a Gold then a second. I’m desperate with myself !

May I still ask you if I can pair one White and one Gold or must it be two same speakers ?
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo
(14-Oct-2019, 20:48)booshtukka Wrote: Right now stock seems to be short on silvers and whites which would suggest something new is coming. I'd wait a while. Wink

Like new hardware ? Do you have some idea ?
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo
@"HubotTimer, Welcome!

Very nice opening post- a great introduction and explanation.

My time with Phantoms is limited, but my understanding is that the White and Silver Phantom differ only in the amount of power they have. The Gold has a different tweeter (and midrange???) and some others have reported that the Golds have a 'softer' treble. I believe all of the 'classic' Phantoms are three-way speakers.

The Reactor range are all two-way speakers. I've read comments about a lack of midrange on the Reactors; others say the midrange is excellent. I'm curious about the Reactors and if I look at them more seriously, I would probably be listening to see if there is any difference between the Classics and the Reactors in the vocal/ mid ranges. I think, for me, the bass on any of them would be more than fine.

I think it is always wise to buy once and buy right, or at least, make the fewest trade-ups possible. As others have said, a stereo pair is basically essential. If that puts you into a pair of Whites or Reactors, then a pair of either is, in my mind, the wise choice.

One final thought; the Phantom line seems to have more interface and Spark/ Dialogue/ App issues than the expert line, so spend a bit of time reading the posts of other Phantom owners who love, or hate, the operation of the Phantoms. Very few complain about the sound, but there have been some frustrations with the external parts and input/ source options.

Best of luck.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(14-Oct-2019, 20:52)HublotTimer Wrote: May I still ask you if I can pair one White and one Gold or must it be two same speakers ?
Must be same speakers, otherwise music would be unbalanced and sound bad. 

If you think you can afford Gold + White now, why not wait a little longer (6 months?) and save for 2 Gold? 

Once you hear a pair of Gold, it is difficult to go backwards. Also, once you hear a stereo pair, it is difficult to go back to a single one because stereo pair is so much better.
Just remember that you need the Dialog for the Phantoms to work in stereo. Also, some people have complained about bluetooth and wifi not always working flawlessly with the signal dropping. Could not get my two Silver's working properly until I went out and bought a PLC (Power Line Communication). About $100 here in Canada.

Once I hooked the Dialog up to the PLC, everything worked. I have never had a drop since.

And to me, the Gold's do sound better but obviously at a significant price increase for two of them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Some say a pair of Reactor 900 are not much different in audio quality as a pair of Golds.