Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
600w vs 900w vs Silvers vs 1x Gold
Hi all, sorry this has taken me so long to get around to, I got all my Phantoms into one room for comparison for a friend last night, they're mostly still all in one room at the moment so if anyone has any requests please let me know!

Unfortunately the video doesn't in any way do them justice, but there's much more of a difference between the 600w and 900w than I'd realised.  I just wish I had a second Gold to complete the comparison!

Cheers,
Andy

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvfLp3y9hSyGkfdSv0MbBjZv-R1VeQ
andylyonette Wrote:Hi all, sorry this has taken me so long to get around to, I got all my Phantoms into one room for comparison for a friend last night, they're mostly still all in one room at the moment so if anyone has any requests please let me know!

Unfortunately the video doesn't in any way do them justice, but there's much more of a difference between the 600w and 900w than I'd realised.  I just wish I had a second Gold to complete the comparison!

Cheers,
Andy

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvfLp3y9hSyGkfdSv0MbBjZv-R1VeQ

Nice setup to compare! Did the window crack during comparison? ;-)
Can you explain more about the difference between the reactors? I have a pair of 600's for 2 months or so, and I'm very pleased with them. They easily fill my living room. So I don't need more power. What do 900 add to the sound?
(19-Jul-2019, 11:51)flanti Wrote: Nice setup to compare! Did the window crack during comparison? ;-)
Can you explain more about the difference between the reactors? I have a pair of 600's for 2 months or so, and I'm very pleased with them. They easily fill my living room. So I don't need more power. What do 900 add to the sound?

Haha, mowing the lawn Sad

The 900's sounded like they provided much more bass but in fairness that was comparing both at 100% volume which clearly isn't how I use them day to day.  I'll see if I can find a volume level on the 900's that sounds similar to the 600's and see how they compare tomorrow.

Btw, until I switched to the 900's I thought the 600's easily filled the room!! Smile
Andy, I would love to read more on how the 600s, the 900s and the Silvers compare since you have all those in stereo pairs.
Thanks!
Yes, me too. Is the 900 “just” more powerfull, or is there better resolution and maybe a smoother presentation?

Thanks
Be careful also, with material that goes up to 0dBFS, it is not really advisable to go past 70, since if I remember correctly, 70 corresponds to 0dB attenuation.

From 70 to 100 is normally for material recorded with a lot of headroom.

Otherwise what you get is soft clipping / intelligent compression, but that’s not the ideal way to judge a system!

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I have a 600 and it easily fills our kitchen,dining room and sun room. Too much volume just starts creating other room acoustic based problems imo.
(10-Aug-2019, 16:09)Jean-Marie Wrote: Be careful also, with material that goes up to 0dBFS, it is not really advisable to go past 70, since if I remember correctly, 70 corresponds to 0dB attenuation.

Otherwise what you get is soft clipping / intelligent compression, but that’s not the ideal way to judge a system!

Jean-Marie
Interesting never knew that. But isn’t clipping basically distortion that Devialet claims they are immune to? No idea what I’m talking about so go easy Wink
(13-Aug-2019, 19:39)Jamington2004 Wrote:
(10-Aug-2019, 16:09)Jean-Marie Wrote: Be careful also, with material that goes up to 0dBFS, it is not really advisable to go past 70, since if I remember correctly, 70 corresponds to 0dB attenuation.

Jean-Marie
Interesting never knew that. But isn’t clipping basically distortion that Devialet claims they are immune to? No idea what I’m talking about so go easy Wink
No, it’s not clipping. It is compression. You will feel it being played louder, but in fact the compression down regulates (softens) the peaks. Already highly compressed music will not get much louder, but music with healthy dynamic range will be more compressed. So, with more watts on the amp you will experience better dynamics the drivers them selves are designed to take the full peak power of the Gold Phantom that are the same for silver and premier except of the tweeter. But the tweeter is the one that needs least power.