Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(21-Aug-2018, 21:30)UHi baconbrain Wrote:
(21-Aug-2018, 19:55)Stino Wrote: So you found the kii 3 to be better than your Devs?

Yes, when compared with the previous combination of the Dev and my legacy passive speakers, but from a pure amplification perspective, no.
Sorry, not to derail this thread, but are you implying that kii3 are underpowered? Or lack transparency?
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(18-Aug-2018, 13:01)Confused Wrote: I shall sign off with some questions for @zzzap above.  An I right in saying that you run an Od'A?  Do you also have a REF10?  I am curious as to why you are interested in the Habst and how you are running your Od'A currently?

@Confused I currently run my Od'A from Mutec MC3+USB/REF10. Don't laugh but the source is Nvidia Shield.

I also have 220PRO in my office powering pair of headphones. Source is PC via USB. I'm considering adding Mutec MC3+USB/REF10 combo to that setup as well as the difference of adding the REF10 there versus just Mutec MC3+USB was big. All that with cheap BNC cable. Will revisit when I get the Habst.
(22-Aug-2018, 02:49)sam1000 Wrote: Sorry, not to derail this thread, but are you implying that kii3 are underpowered? Or lack transparency?
Agree, let’s not use Confused’s Thread to discuss the Kii Three. Just send me a PM and I will be more than happy to share my thoughts.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
When do you expect the SOtM kit to be back from Korea?

I made an order for the parts to upgrade to NEO so hopfully next week I will get it so I can make the upgrade.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(23-Aug-2018, 17:25)octaviars Wrote: When do you expect the SOtM kit to be back from Korea?

I made an order for the parts to upgrade to NEO so hopfully next week I will get it so I can make the upgrade.

It is back!  It took over three weeks to get to Korea, then only three days to return.  The return courier, DHL, was slightly cheaper too.

I have not had time to set it up yet, in fact, it looks like I have a busy weekend ahead, so I am not sure when I will get to try it.  I will at least get it hooked up to power today to let it settle in.

One initial observation, I took it out of the box for a quick check and thought that they had not changed the faceplate to the Neo designated version.  I then noticed the Neo logo, but you can hardly see it.  The text is less than 2mm high and not that distinct.  It is not far off being invisible!  So I have paid $80 for some text I pretty much cannot see, not my best value for money purchase.  Confused
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Aug-2018, 15:42)K4680 Wrote: "MUTEC timing at the Burning Beach Festival"

Rich bass and clear sound without digital hardship: The Burning Beach Festival 2018 with MUTEC timing and REALHORNS SOUNDSYSTEMS. The PA system uses several MC-3 + USB reclockers and a REF 10 clock generator.

Looking at the pic submitted by K4860 has me contemplating a couple of things:

1) Going to the Festival next year because it is like right down the road ...
2) The difference between professional sound technicians and audio enthusiasts in the approach to clocking /reclocking ...

If I understand the article correctly, it sounds like they more or less utilized a dedicated Mutec for each path of the signal chain. All of which were fed from a Ref 10 signal. When reading some of the feedback out of other forums, it appears that the majority of the audio enthusiasts believe that the professional approach is not that relevant and one referenced clock device in the chain is sufficient. This seems a bit illogical to me given that the referenced clock signal is then just "waterfalled" down the chain to the DAC via whatever connection signal (AES, USB, Ethernet ..) between the respective devices.  

I am curious as to your thoughts on this ....
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Hans Beekhuysen seems to like the Neo upgrade. Hope you do too, @Confused.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Quote:It is back!  It took over three weeks to get to Korea, then only three days to return.  The return courier, DHL, was slightly cheaper too.

I talked to a guy here in Sweden who sent his to Korea and it took 7 days in total with DHL.

Quote:So I have paid $80 for some text I pretty much cannot see, not my best value for money purchase.

I just ordered the capacitor as I think the price for the faceplate was a bit to much considering that it dont affect anything.

As I have the chance to listen to my Ultra right before I do the soldering I hope to be able to detect if the NEO version does sound different.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

(24-Aug-2018, 18:12)octaviars Wrote:
Quote:It is back!  It took over three weeks to get to Korea, then only three days to return.  The return courier, DHL, was slightly cheaper too.

I talked to a guy here in Sweden who sent his to Korea and it took 7 days in total with DHL.

Quote:So I have paid $80 for some text I pretty much cannot see, not my best value for money purchase.

I just ordered the capacitor as I think the price for the faceplate was a bit to much considering that it dont affect anything.

As I have the chance to listen to my Ultra right before I do the soldering I hope to be able to detect if the NEO version does sound different.
So the only change is a capacitor? Would it be possible for you to tell us which cap. has to be changed, i.e. where on the board it is and what value it is?  I can’t see any reason to pay for postage to Korea and back just for a simple component change. I too am not worried about the faceplate. According to Hans B, there is a sticker on the bottom of the upgraded unit with Neo written on it. Do SOtM give you one of these with the cap.?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Quote:So the only change is a capacitor?

What I know it is one capacitor.

Quote:Would it be possible for you to tell us which cap. has to be changed, i.e. where on the board it is and what value it is?

I think it is the large one on the smal PSU board where the DC barrel is mounted and I think it is 2200uF but that is not something I am shure of.

Quote:Do SOtM give you one of these with the cap.?

You cant buy the component directly from SOtM they only do the full modification to buy the capacitor you have to go the agent in the country where you live and I dont know if there will be any sticker with it. Onestly I really dont care about the faceplate and stickers. I will keep the old capacitor so IF I sell my Ultra the buyer will know it is upgraded to NEO.

Second system