Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
From what I've seen, the latest versions of Roon have made some general code optimizations, including in the RAAT protocol area. The effect I saw in my system is that the CPU usage has decreased for the RAAT protocol and has become lower than for the DEVIALET AIR protocol. In the past, the situation was the opposite.
These changes could improve the manifestation of the RAAT - DEVIALET problem. This does not mean that the cause of the problem has been detected and repaired, but it can have a beneficial effect on some audio systems.
I can't verify whether these changes also affected network traffic between Roon and DEVIALET (and this could lead to behavioral changes in some systems).
(02-Mar-2022, 20:46)mdconnelly Wrote: @Jean-Marie - I feel your pain.  There is no doubt that this problem, when it occurs, seems quite unique to Roon RAAT and the Expert Pro (when using gigabit ethernet and hi-res music).  I do not experience this at all on other endpoints that also use Roon RAAT.  I had this problem for a long time UNTIL I replaced my Win 10 RoonServer with a NUC running ROCK.  Since then, I no longer ever see the problem.  Go figure...

Fortunately, this is light pain given how infrequent it is, and Air is always a working solution for me. I just prefer RAAT because of the low latency in terms of response, but could live very happily with Roon Air only.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(03-Mar-2022, 10:29)David A Wrote: [...]

I don't know if my reasoning is better or worse than yours. There's an old gag line which says "I think our problem is a lack of information but I have nothing to base that on" and after more than 2 years with this problem causing issues for many users none of us users appear to have any solid information to say where the problem lies. All any of us can do is to consider the facts as we know them, heavily influenced as we are by our own experience, and try to come up with a conclusion that we think makes some kind of sense out of what is a very confusing problem which has affected lots of users in a number of different ways.

Indeed, as a IT and Telco Systems, Solutions and Products architect, I wish I could just turn on traces and debuggers on every component involved and troubleshoot down to the root cause and consequences, but as you say we are lacking information.

All the best, 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(03-Mar-2022, 12:07)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(03-Mar-2022, 10:29)David A Wrote: [...]

I don't know if my reasoning is better or worse than yours. There's an old gag line which says "I think our problem is a lack of information but I have nothing to base that on" and after more than 2 years with this problem causing issues for many users none of us users appear to have any solid information to say where the problem lies. All any of us can do is to consider the facts as we know them, heavily influenced as we are by our own experience, and try to come up with a conclusion that we think makes some kind of sense out of what is a very confusing problem which has affected lots of users in a number of different ways.

Indeed, as a IT and Telco Systems, Solutions and Products architect, I wish I could just turn on traces and debuggers on every component involved and troubleshoot down to the root cause and consequences, but as you say we are lacking information.

All the best, 

Jean-Marie

Hello, I just confirm! Constant problems with Win/Mac, no more problems since switching to Roon Nucleus+ (2020)!! (see from #120). Hope it stays that way :-)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Well, so far (and even after the very recent Roon update) I am still getting issues using RAAT, and this is after putting a 100MB switch in place for the Devialet and trying wireless too.

AIR seems stable on the other hand.

So for now I can live with this, not much else I can do. I don’t really use Roon on any other devices (I have Naim and Sonos too but use their native apps) , so it’s not too much of a hardship to miss out on RAAT.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland