Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR and Win10
Hi all,

I recently bought a NUC with Win 10 specifically to use Roon with the Hi Res files that my trusty Sonos can't handle.

I have never liked the sound of the USB input, so had always intended to use AIR over a wired connection.

Like many others, I was getting frustrated with the behaviour. In particular, the sound would just drop without warning, and I would be unable to restart because the Devialet-ETH entry would become greyed-out in the AIR app. Only by restarting the Devialet could I get it back again, and it would be fine for a few minutes or less, and then drop again.

In the wee small hours of this morning, when Eureka! moments tend to happen, I suddenly thought to check my office machine, which is an iMac connected to the home network via WiFi. Sure enough, it was running the AIR app, which had been set to auto-start on booting when I tried it out many months ago. It wasn't streaming anything, but was "live" on the network. That machine is usually, but not always on, when I am in the house.

I turned off the iMac, and within seconds, the Roon system (which I had left playing overnight, but which had dropped out at some point) started producing music again Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

That was 12 hours ago, and it has been faultless throughout all that time, so I am hopeful that I have solved at least one of my problems, albeit a rather stupidly self-inflicted one. I guess that if two or more instances of AIR are 'fighting' for the Devialet, then it is no real surprise that bad things happen.

Anyway, I just wanted to share, in case it helps someone else on here.

System:

NUC with Windows 10 and AIR 2.1.3 (WASAPI Bit Perfect, Exclusive Mode, 1000 ms buffer)
Roon 1.1
Ethernet connection to Airport Extreme router
Synology NAS
Devialet D400

Good luck and happy listening
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Great that it is working for you and you are still using AIR 2.1.3!
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(30-Aug-2015, 17:32)Zappydev Wrote: Hi all,

I recently bought a NUC with Win 10 specifically to use Roon with the Hi Res files that my trusty Sonos can't handle.

Which NUC did you buy?  I did a bit of looking 'round on the 'net yesterday, and there appears to be many and varied NUC's to choose from....

Does anyone else have any NUC recommendations?
Intel NUC 5i5RYK (a thinner version of mine) if you intend to use 2.5" M.2 Sata SSD. Intel NUC may have fan noise, which is audible, amid very quiet. Using Win10 with M.2 SSD, my NUC bootup time is around 7 sec.

I recommend Intel NUC is because AIR works.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(31-Aug-2015, 11:00)hk6230 Wrote: Intel NUC 5i5RYK (a thinner version of mine) if you intend to use 2.5" M.2 Sata SSD. Intel NUC may have fan noise, which is audible, amid very quiet. Using Win10 with M.2 SSD, my NUC bootup time is around 7 sec.

Hi

Yes, I bought NUC5i5RYK after reading that a more powerful processor was not really necessary just for Roon core use. I also bought the 120GB Samsung SSD with Win 10 pro. The system will only be used for music, so I figured that it would be enough.

Further to my earlier post - streaming ran uninterrupted for >12 hours overnight last night but started stuttering this morning. A reboot of everything seemed to clear it. a bit disappointing though, as I thought that at last, my AIR was working perfectly.

Looking forward to hearing any further feedback.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(31-Aug-2015, 12:39)Zappydev Wrote:
(31-Aug-2015, 11:00)hk6230 Wrote: Intel NUC 5i5RYK (a thinner version of mine) if you intend to use 2.5" M.2 Sata SSD. Intel NUC may have fan noise, which is audible, amid very quiet. Using Win10 with M.2 SSD, my NUC bootup time is around 7 sec.

Hi

Yes, I bought NUC5i5RYK after reading that a more powerful processor was not really necessary just for Roon core use. I also bought the 120GB Samsung SSD with Win 10 pro. The system will only be used for music, so I figured that it would be enough.

Further to my earlier post - streaming ran uninterrupted for >12 hours overnight last night but started stuttering this morning. A reboot of everything seemed to clear it. a bit disappointing though, as I thought that at last, my AIR was working perfectly.

Cycle through your sources using your Devialet remote will solve this stuttering.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

(31-Aug-2015, 12:54)hk6230 Wrote:

Hi

Cycle through your sources using your Devialet remote will solve this stuttering.

Thanks HK! I'll be sure to try that next time.
(31-Aug-2015, 14:00)Zappydev Wrote:
(31-Aug-2015, 12:54)hk6230 Wrote:

Hi

Thanks HK! I'll be sure to try that next time.

Must admit I was looking around for something like this, but presume not fanless? How does this impact, if at all?
Certainly tempted!
Think some have gone for building their own using fan-less cases, but guess the temptation to add rather expensive additional audiophile bits can blow the budget somewhat?

Keen to know!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I do enjoy my NUC very much now that it can play music to my D200 via AIR in a stable condition. And, with Win10, you can use AIR on exclusive and event mode. Music playback is bit-perfect. For the past week, my system is in a higher level of SQ. Bass is firmer and tighter, mids are super clear and I can't stop playing. I'm not sure what caused such an 'upgrade' on the SQ but these could the reasons:

1. Linear power supply to my NUC is 'burn-in.'
2. A slight repositioning of my speakers with a bit of toe-in.
3. The power cord to my D200 is 'burn-in', too.

you forget the most likely reason: the upgrade to Win10. I also have better SQ since this upgrade and I have not changed anything else.
The biggest improvement is when using USB, but I have also the impression that AIR is sounding better with Win 10.