Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Air 3.0.4 Officially Released
(17-Mar-2017, 23:39)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Well, I installed it (OSX) and am testing it via Roon.  500ms AIR buffer.

DSD still doesn't work - static noise.  Disappointing.  Maybe it works for others on OSX?  Thats not really a deal-beaker as I don't have much DSD and can covert to PCM, but why not just fix it?

So far (10 minutes!), no crackles even on high-res, which actually surprises me but it's early days.  Still I'm sure high-res used to cause crackles pretty quickly, like a track or two.  
So there's hope at least.

Fingers crossed!  Hopefully years later you can finally use one of the original features.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(18-Mar-2017, 00:14)Dr Tone Wrote:
(17-Mar-2017, 23:39)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Well, I installed it (OSX) and am testing it via Roon.  500ms AIR buffer.

DSD still doesn't work - static noise.  Disappointing.  Maybe it works for others on OSX?  Thats not really a deal-beaker as I don't have much DSD and can covert to PCM, but why not just fix it?

So far (10 minutes!), no crackles even on high-res, which actually surprises me but it's early days.  Still I'm sure high-res used to cause crackles pretty quickly, like a track or two.  
So there's hope at least.

Fingers crossed!  Hopefully years later you can finally used one of the original features.

I had a few crackles here. With 24/192. Not immediately, but after an hour or so.
This is not bad, but not as good as I expected. Good luck to you though.

[EDIT]The crackles I heard could be caused by buffer overflows. I need to try and adjust the buffer size before I forge a definitive statement Wink
Sorry to hear that.

None here so far but still only 1/2 hour and I'm back to redbook which used to hold out longer. I'll leave it running highres overnight, that should break it if it's going to break!

Sounds ok to me on first listening. Initially I thought it sounded horribly bright, but then I realised I hadn't enabled DSP on that zone in Roon. Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(17-Mar-2017, 21:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If by some miracle it actually ran reliably for a few weeks solid, I'd probably ditch the RoonReady device path and go AIR, primiarily so I could have Dirac back. But I've got no idea why I'm thinking so positively about it. Must be the Spring AIR.

doesn't the latest version of Roon do all the RC etc that Dirac does?
(18-Mar-2017, 04:55)colonel66 Wrote:
(17-Mar-2017, 21:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If by some miracle it actually ran reliably for a few weeks solid, I'd probably ditch the RoonReady device path and go AIR, primiarily so I could have Dirac back. But I've got no idea why I'm thinking so positively about it. Must be the Spring AIR.

doesn't the latest version of Roon do all the RC etc that Dirac does?

Well, yes and no. It has a decent convolution engine, but you need to generate the filters in software designed for that purpose. Dirac's the only Room Correction software that doesn't allow you to export convolution filters to be used elsewhere - you can only use its audio processor (kind of like an AIR virtual output).
The alternatives are horrible techie Windows or command line things, but there are a lot of decent walkthroughs and how-to's but I just don't think I've got the time / patience to do it. I feel like I know where I am with Dirac even if it's not the best/most configurable out there. Anyway, that's getting a bit OT here.

Back OT. I have to say I'm amazed! High-res playing all night, and music still sounds like music this morning!
I had to double check I'm actually playing out through AIR. Not conclusive but it's a good start. If they'd fixed the DSD I'd actually have a bit of confidence in it - but since they've broken something previously working, and not fixed it during this whole beta3 time, something still feels a bit half-a***d in their software QA. 'What if I go back to AIR and then they break it again.' That's what I've been thinking this morning.

Bet lets not take away from the fact that's it's been running all night on high-res via Roon without issues. That has to be a first for me.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

And as much as I hate to say it, I think it sounds (marginally) better than my microrendu, Paul Hynes SR3, Intona combo.

I just installed the new AIR version and am experimenting with the Tidal MQA files. With the 50ms buffer I still get discontinuities as before, or perhaps just a bit fewer. I normally use a larger buffer for Tidal streaming but right now I'm interested in whether I can sync sound and video which wasn't really possible with AIR before. Not sure if it's still going to happen.
Despite having my LPS-1/mR/Mutec combo, I do still occasionally use AIR. I run a Windows 10 PC and loaded up AIR 3.0.4 this morning. No issues as such, but annoyingly my I had to re-start the PC after installing the new version of AIR, and for some reason Windows wanted to do some kind of major update, which took maybe half an hour. All I wanted to do was listen to some music, so this reminds me why I find computer audio so annoying sometimes.

Anyway, once done AIR 3.0.4 appears to work flawlessly, so all good! I did try a quick A/B test with the LPS-1/mR/Mutec, and this still comes out top. A case of slightly less 'digital edge', more accurate and realistic. So I'd say the LPS-1/mR/Mutec is the better fit with the Pro. Having said that, the margins are very small, with a quick listen of Windows AIR 3.0.4 I have to conclude that in absolute terms it sounds very good.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I just did some experimenting with random Youtube videos. It can be seen from the Youtube player that it loads enough data into its own buffer, but AIR is just unable to send a steady stream of it forward to D using the 50ms buffer. Oh well.
DSD is also a no go for me, using a Mac Mini, El Capitan, Audirvana 3.02 & Air Ethernet.
Was hoping that finally 'Direct Mode' would also be supported, but not to be:-) According to Damien from Audirvana this is also a bug on the Air side. Devialet is informed!
Still, I've had no problems with the latest Air candidates, using Ethernet, apart from the above little hiccups I'm very happy overall with the possibilities that Devialet/Audirvana offer me.
Pro 440, B&W 804D, HMS In Concerto Speaker cables, Audioquest Jitterbug & Cinnamon USB, 2018 Mac Mini with 8Gb RAM, Furutech G320 Power cable, Audirvana Studio, 4 x 2TB SSD External Drives