Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Air 3.0.4 Officially Released
Over 24 hours. One slight dropout last night while the volume wasn't muted, but I'll let that go for now in case it was an anomaly (not that I get it with Roon).

Amazingly still no crackles.

So now I'm seriously thinking ahead. Do I go back to AIR and trust Devialet to keep on top of it and keep it working with new OS updates etc? I'd then sell my other streaming kit. That's a tough call. It's what I want to do, but is it going to bite me in the a**e later, when I have to buy it back again?

SQ wise I still think I marginally prefer AIR, but at the same time am listening slightly lower volume (usual levels seem somehow loud and a bit edgy). So my sense is maybe it's less simple and there's a certain ease about the rendu. Realistically though, I'm not sure I care to that degree any more, I just want to clear the clutter and neurosa, and get back to the plan I had in 2015 or whenever it was Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I sold my Aurender S10 a few weeks ago.....
Devialet Dione

Rotterdam, NL
(19-Mar-2017, 09:33)sven911 Wrote: I sold my Aurender S10 a few weeks ago.....

Does AIR sound as good as or better than Aurender S10? Smile
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(19-Mar-2017, 09:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Over 24 hours. One slight dropout last night while the volume wasn't muted, but I'll let that go for now in case it was an anomaly (not that I get it with Roon).

So now I'm seriously thinking ahead. Do I go back to AIR and trust Devialet to keep on top of it and keep it working with new OS updates etc? I'd then sell my other streaming kit. That's a tough call. It's what I want to do, but is it going to bite me in the a**e later, when I have to buy it back again?

SQ wise I still think I marginally prefer AIR, but at the same time am listening slightly lower volume (usual levels seem somehow loud and a bit edgy). So my sense is maybe it's less simple and there's a certain ease about the rendu. Realistically though, I'm not sure I care to that degree any more, I just want to clear the clutter and neurosa, and get back to the plan I had in 2015 or whenever it was Smile

(19-Mar-2017, 10:17)petrik Wrote:

I prefer the sound of AIR.  Rolleyes
Devialet Dione

Rotterdam, NL
(19-Mar-2017, 10:44)sven911 Wrote:
(19-Mar-2017, 09:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Over 24 hours. One slight dropout last night while the volume wasn't muted, but I'll let that go for now in case it was an anomaly (not that I get it with Roon).

(19-Mar-2017, 10:17)petrik Wrote:

Is that with AES/EBU output? I would have thought that the Aurender AES/EBU output would be the one to beat.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Mar-2017, 11:32)The Pim van Vliet Wrote:

(19-Mar-2017, 10:17)petrik Wrote: Does AIR sound as good as or better than Aurender S10? Smile

Is that with AES/EBU output? I would have thought that the Aurender AES/EBU output would be the one to beat.

The S10 was connected with AES/EBU (Audioquest Raven 2x72v).
Devialet Dione

Rotterdam, NL
(19-Mar-2017, 11:32)The Pim van Vliet Wrote:

(19-Mar-2017, 10:17)petrik Wrote: Does AIR sound as good as or better than Aurender S10? Smile

The S10 was connected with AES/EBU (Audioquest Raven 2x 72v).
Devialet Dione

Rotterdam, NL
Well executed digital coax in home applications, over a meter or three, won't be worse than AES/EBU (XLR). It can be even better. Reason for existence of differential signaling is resistance to noise over long distance. There should be no difference between the 2 interfaces until very long cables are involved.
Analog signalling is different animal, differential transmission makes sense even over short distances.

That's theory. In practice, quite often, coax outputs are implemented horribly. That is why so often we hear, that AES/EBU is better. If you hear AES better than coax, then it means coax is poorly implemented in your source.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
Well, it's all up for sale!

48 hours is good enough for me, and my partner is more than pleased to hear we'll be going back to just a slab on the wall (with some boxing for the cables).

It's been a long wait, and I'm not sure whether it's something I've done here, or Devialet have actually finally fixed it, but whatever the reason it works for PCM including high-res. Ok, they probably have fixed it but I just find it so hard to believe - I can't tell you how many times I checked Roon and the Dev display to make sure it hadn't somehow changed input from Ethernet!

Having listened much of the weekend I think the treble is smoother and less fatiguing with the rendu setup, whereas the bass and imaging feels better with AIR. But overall I can happily live with AIR because it means my saga is kind of over.

Now, it had better not stop working and they'd better not break it!! (Or dump it and make me buy a Dialogue  Smile )

Call me crazy, but it just feels like selling the streaming stuff (that incidentally I never wanted to buy in the first place, or have in the lounge) gives me some sort of closure. And if I'm buying it all back again in a months time I'll laugh/cry with you all.  Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Mar-2017, 22:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Well, it's all up for sale!

48 hours is good enough for me, and my partner is more than pleased to hear we'll be going back to just a slab on the wall (with some boxing for the cables).

It's been a long wait, and I'm not sure whether it's something I've done here, or Devialet have actually finally fixed it, but whatever the reason it works for PCM including high-res. Ok, they probably have fixed it but I just find it so hard to believe - I can't tell you how many times I checked Roon and the Dev display to make sure it hadn't somehow changed input from Ethernet!

Having listened much of the weekend I think the treble is smoother and less fatiguing with the rendu setup, whereas the bass and imaging feels better with AIR. But overall I can happily live with AIR because it means my saga is kind of over.

Now, it had better not stop working and they'd better not break it!! (Or dump it and make me buy a Dialogue  Smile )

Call me crazy, but it just feels like selling the streaming stuff (that incidentally I never wanted to buy in the first place, or have in the lounge) gives me some sort of closure. And if I'm buying it all back again in a months time I'll laugh/cry with you all.  Big Grin

You are a brave man Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England