Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Air 3.0.4 Officially Released
(19-Mar-2017, 22:22)Womaz Wrote: You are a brave man  Big Grin

Thanks for your kind choice of words Womaz. I was expecting something far worse. Not least from myself!

AIR's been feverishly worked on for two years by their top people. What's the worst that could happen?!

Oh. Yeah. Mmmmmmm

Tongue

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Make sure you have a backup of this firmware, and air version, and then hope apple don't break things for you.

P.S. It took me about two weeks to trust it when they fixed it on Windows, but it's been really stable since.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(19-Mar-2017, 22:33)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(19-Mar-2017, 22:22)Womaz Wrote: You are a brave man  Big Grin

Thanks for your kind choice of words Womaz. I was expecting something far worse. Not least from myself!

AIR's been feverishly worked on for two years by their top people. What's the worst that could happen?!

Oh. Yeah.  Mmmmmmm

Tongue

Have you got AIR working with Dirac?
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
(19-Mar-2017, 22:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: my saga is kind of over.

Yeah, right!  Angel

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(19-Mar-2017, 22:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Well, it's all up for sale!

48 hours is good enough for me, and my partner is more than pleased to hear we'll be going back to just a slab on the wall (with some boxing for the cables).

It's been a long wait, and I'm not sure whether it's something I've done here, or Devialet have actually finally fixed it, but whatever the reason it works for PCM including high-res. Ok, they probably have fixed it but I just find it so hard to believe - I can't tell you how many times I checked Roon and the Dev display to make sure it hadn't somehow changed input from Ethernet!

Having listened much of the weekend I think the treble is smoother and less fatiguing with the rendu setup, whereas the bass and imaging feels better with AIR. But overall I can happily live with AIR because it means my saga is kind of over.

Now, it had better not stop working and they'd better not break it!! (Or dump it and make me buy a Dialogue  Smile )

Call me crazy, but it just feels like selling the streaming stuff (that incidentally I never wanted to buy in the first place, or have in the lounge) gives me some sort of closure. And if I'm buying it all back again in a months time I'll laugh/cry with you all.  Big Grin

How do you compare AIR and microRendu soundwise? 

I'm really happy with Roon and AIR and it has worked ok since 3.0.1 came out.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(20-Mar-2017, 09:04)octaviars Wrote: How do you compare AIR and microRendu soundwise? 

That's a tricky one, they're very similar as you'd expect I suppose.
When I first switched back to AIR I felt it was clearly better - more energetic perhaps and better bass. And by clearly I still mean subtle.
After a weekend, I think the AIR sound may be slightly more fatiguing in the treble - maybe the energetic aspect isn't so good longer term. I still feel bass and soundstage is slightly better for some reason. It's all very subjective.

The upshot is I'm happy to live with it. I might try a linear on my switch or a lan isolator and see what happens (if anything). Here we go, more tinkering gadgets...... Big Grin

Haven't tried Dirac yet as I don't have a license. I'm still undecided whether to go there, or try and get filters into Roon just in case I end up changing my mind! Smile

And, er, thanks Guillaume! Big Grin Tongue Dodgy

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(20-Mar-2017, 09:28)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(20-Mar-2017, 09:04)octaviars Wrote: How do you compare AIR and microRendu soundwise? 

That's a tricky one, they're very similar as you'd expect I suppose.
When I first switched back to AIR I felt it was clearly better - more energetic perhaps and better bass. And by clearly I still mean subtle.
After a weekend, I think the AIR sound may be slightly more fatiguing in the treble - maybe the energetic aspect isn't so good longer term. I still feel bass and soundstage is slightly better for some reason. It's all very subjective.

The upshot is I'm happy to live with it. I might try a linear on my switch or a lan isolator and see what happens (if anything). Here we go, more tinkering gadgets...... Big Grin

Haven't tried Dirac yet as I don't have a license. I'm still undecided whether to go there, or try and get filters into Roon just in case I end up changing my mind!  Smile

And, er, thanks Guillaume!  Big Grin  Tongue  Dodgy

I use an iFi ipower on the switch, only Eur 50.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet Dione

Rotterdam, NL
Well, with my usual care and attention I downloaded and updated my MacBook Air with Air. And..... absolutely nothing in terms of glitches. Running Audirvana 3.0.2 and playing MQA Masters from Tidal. All well. I was about to say if I upsample to 24 / 192 kHz that doing anything on the MacBook soon provides horrible distortion but just noticed am playing the Doors Waiting For the Sun album and it's quite happy at 24/192. I am Oversampling at 2x only. Can't really say if it makes the slightest bit of difference.
I've never used Air, and confess that I'm not clear what it is, how it could marry in with my system and how it's controlled.
However, intrigued by previous posts, I thought I'd download Air to my dedicated Windows 7 silent PC, and see where that took me.
Unfortunate it won't download. I'm getting an error message saying the Air Virtual Soundcard Driver could not be loaded because Windows requires a signed driver, and this one isn't signed.
Any help in getting past this first hurdle would be gratefully received.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
I am going to give finally the Air 3.0.4 a try on my vacant D200. The poor chap is sitting all dusty since I upgraded to D440 pro. But I am not going to sell this unit as I love the damn thing. Had to suffer a lot of pain to get this, in terms of logistics. I hope it is going to give me joy for lot of years to come or atleast till the 5 year warranty runs out. I do wish I had a Macintosh so many fancy software to use on the platform. Windows users don't have much choice. I even have a license for Audirvana from back when i had a Apple Macintosh.