Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Air 3.0.4 Officially Released
Is it me or has there been surprisingly little interest in this AIR release on DC?

Perhaps by now most people were working well with the beta, or given up entirely with AIR so aren't bothering. Whic would be a shame as I really think in Mac terms it's a lot more stable (for me). Very stable in fact. Two slight stutters in nearly a week. I'm using 500ms delay, so could mane it bigger but I hate unnecessary lags.

I'm going to try and find time to try Dirac (Roon/Dirac/AIR) next week. If that works I'll be pretty happy.

Streamer gear all sold now (stp). A fair few quid lost in all the experimentation and resale, but got a bit back in the bank, which either helps with the upgrade cost, or will be wasted on some other tweak (or go towards new speakers). I reckon all in all I lost 500-100 experimenting with USB cables/gismos etc. Can't be bothered to add it up properly.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Mar-2017, 19:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Is it me or has there been surprisingly little interest in this AIR release on DC?

I think the interest in the expert line has died down all together.  Not many talking about upgrading anymore.  Some people have probably just moved on the other products.  Devialet has quit adding new features to the firmware, we used to get excited about that ever 6 months.  Very view Pro series magazine reviews. Zero recent Devialet talk on the various audiophile forums.

Devialet's plan to put a Devialet in everyone's house is slowly back firing.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(24-Mar-2017, 19:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Is it me or has there been surprisingly little interest in this AIR release on DC?

Perhaps by now most people were working well with the beta, or given up entirely with AIR so aren't bothering. Whic would be a shame as I really think in Mac terms it's a lot more stable (for me). Very stable in fact. Two slight stutters in nearly a week. I'm using 500ms delay, so could mane it bigger but I hate unnecessary lags.

I'm going to try and find time to try Dirac (Roon/Dirac/AIR) next week. If that works I'll be pretty happy.

Streamer gear all sold now (stp). A fair few quid lost in all the experimentation and resale, but got a bit back in the bank, which either helps with the upgrade cost, or will be wasted on some other tweak (or go towards new speakers). I reckon all in all I lost 500-100 experimenting with USB cables/gismos etc. Can't be bothered to add it up properly.

Well, it's a bit difficult to get excited about this release since my computer just keeps crashing to bluescreen whenever I try to listen music with AIR. Let's hope Devialet will get this bluescreen issue fixed soon...
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(24-Mar-2017, 19:56)Dr Tone Wrote:

I think the interest in the expert line has died down all together.  Not many talking about upgrading anymore.  Some people have probably just moved on the other products.  Devialet has quit adding new features to the firmware, we used to get excited about that ever 6 months.  Very view Pro series magazine reviews. Zero recent Devialet talk on the various audiophile forums.

Devialet's plan to put a Devialet in everyone's house is slowly back firing.

I tend to think that forum chatter increases most under two circumstances...

1) Something new and exciting is being released and reported, or
2) When there are problems

Having been a Devialet Expert owner for the last year and a half, it does seem that the 2nd reason tends to dominate.

But truthfully, I'm a quite content Expert Pro owner these days without much to report.   I was pleased to see AIR 3.0.4 finally released, but it felt like more of an "it's about time" reaction than something exciting.   But I'm happy it's working well now and find myself using it more than my uRendu of late.   

We're all anxious to hear about the streaming board but my guess is that it could be summer before we hear more, and certainly Devialet has done nothing to get us excited about it or anything else about the Experts since the Pro release.   A partial pic of a board on the Dev site is hardly sufficient to generate much chatter.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(24-Mar-2017, 20:13)petrik Wrote:

Well, it's a bit difficult to get excited about this release since my computer just keeps crashing to bluescreen whenever I try to listen music with AIR. Let's hope Devialet will get this bluescreen issue fixed soon...

Are you using anymore than AIR? Roon or HQ Player?

I had no problem with Roon and AIR but when I use it with HQ Player it goes bananas......

Do we really know that it is the new 3.0.4 that is causing it? I cant remember if it happened when I tried HQ Player for the 30 day trial period with AIR 3.0.2.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

well, for me Air worked all the time and perfect since the beta release.
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
Just got my pro 1000 and I'm using it with AIR 3.0.4 on MacOS 10.11.6. Still crackle from time to time until I quit all potential interferers (like iStat Menus, Weather HD, ChronoAgent, Server connection etc). Then it got much better with only very occasional crackle. So in terms of interference not much better than the earlier version.

My hunch is, however, that it has to do with Roon, because with iTunes and PureMusic playing, AIR has no problem whatsoever. That's despite my more complex setup: Roon (respectively iTunes/PureMusic) > Dirac APS > Dev AIR > ethernet (fixed IP) > D1000.
It's hard to call it a success then really. Seems like the two classic failures of AIR, Mac crackles and BSOD, are still around. So I'm obviously glad I can finally use it for whatever reason, but it's hardly a resounding success after all this wait.

They seriously need some new programmers.

We can all (well, some if us) cling onto RoonReady as a replacement (I'd be glad to be able to stream direct over ethernet but never use AIR again given a choice.) but it's a long shot.

I agree about the excitement. Even in the time I've owned mine, DC was always full of chatter about new updates etc. But I guess since they rarely update anything anymore apart from the recent hardware, and never interact, there's kind of not much to talk about or get excited about.

I keep thinking what I'd replace mine with. I did resent giving Devialet more money, but think it was the right move to at least preserve some resale value. But just fine know what with. I think I'd probably go active speakers and a good room correction solution, and I'm sure more will appear. But I would like to at least actually see/use the streamer board before moving on.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Mar-2017, 23:28)Hifi_swlon Wrote: It's hard to call it a success then really. Seems like the two classic failures of AIR, Mac crackles and BSOD, are still around. So I'm obviously glad I can finally use it for whatever reason, but it's hardly a resounding success after all this wait.

They seriously need some new programmers.

We can all (well, some if us) cling onto RoonReady as a replacement (I'd be glad to be able to stream direct over ethernet but never use AIR again given a choice.) but it's a long shot.

I agree about the excitement. Even in the time I've owned mine, DC was always full of chatter about new updates etc. But I guess since they rarely update anything anymore apart from the recent hardware, and never interact, there's kind of not much to talk about or get excited about.

I keep thinking what I'd replace mine with. I did resent giving Devialet more money, but think it was the right move to at least preserve some resale value. But just fine know what with. I think I'd probably go active speakers and a good room correction solution, and I'm sure more will appear. But I would like to at least actually see/use the streamer board before moving on.....
Give Kii 3 a try then. I will go audition one next week

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Post # 102 Dr TONE 'Devialet has quit adding new features to the firmware, we used to get excited about that ever 6 months. Very view (few) Pro series magazine reviews. Zero recent Devialet talk on the various audiophile forums.'

I agreed with that. Apart from the official release of AIR and the expensive hardware upgrade to PRO, there is no firmware update/upgrade for a long long time. Not happy with that.