Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Melco users out there?
(24-Oct-2015, 16:09)nfnc Wrote: Thanks. Am using Lumin A1 too.

I suppose it would make sense that certain functions would be accessible only when available on the renderer or, possibly and just a guess, the instructions are proprietary to Lumin players and not part of the OpenHome protocol.

Native vs PCM upsampling vs DSD do yield different results. On RBCD, I prefer native or PCM upsampling. As a generalisation, DSD yields more space/depth but loses out on texture/decay and the ability to follow the lines/separation.

I actually preferred the sound of my CD/SACD discs played back on my old Esoteric X-03SE to the LINN, Meridian, Lumin, Aurender or optimized Mac/PC + Dac devices I've heard to date. I nontheless made the move away from disc players. The convienence of having all my music at the fingertips and losing boxes and boxes of discs was just to enticing to resist and I suspect many others share this sentiment, as well most audio gear enthusiasts don't want to be left behind the newer technologies. The Lumin A1 was good yet I prefer the N1A for ease of use with sound quality as satisfying (but different) to the A1. The Lumin app is outstanding with the Lumin's and good enough with some UPNP non-Lumin players. I tried AudioNet app and disliked it, but I like apps I download that just work without incessant settings tweakings required to get it to function well. I'm not an IT or engineer geek, but a music lover above all else with love for ease of use devices.
Bob,

I can't persuade the Lumin app to recognise my minimserver-equipped Melco. BubbleuPnP works fine, but what I can see of the Lumin interface seems to improve on it.

Any tips?

Fraser
(25-Oct-2015, 12:58)fraserhadden Wrote: Bob,

I can't persuade the Lumin app to recognise my minimserver-equipped Melco. BubbleuPnP works fine, but what I can see of the Lumin interface seems to improve on it.

Any tips?

Fraser

I use N1A with only integrated amplifier (with built-in Dac and USB connection), router and iPad/Lumin app. Does your setup involve more components? Do you require latest Java RE update with Minimserver? Guessing your questions posted on Computer Audiophile will likely yield better tips.
Bob,

No. Just Melco via USB into Dev 400. I will have a trawl through Computer Audiophile.

Thanks

Fraser
Ok an update. Second demo of the Melco tonight and it went without any issues at all. Dealer thinks it could only have been a problem with the app last week so we deleted it and started again

So I have ordered one. Does it sound better than AIR? On the short time I have heard it I could not be definite that it did. I will only know this once I have it in my set up next week.
I have ordered one as I am sick of the issues with AIR.
Dealer suggested an Entreq Konstantine USB cable but at £270 not sure about that. I will probably,y go with tellerium q blue as I know the brand.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Good for you, now that you have found something that works and you like it. Enjoy and do share your experience after listening your new setup for awhile.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(27-Oct-2015, 01:01)hk6230 Wrote: Good for you, now that you have found something that works and you like it. Enjoy and do share your experience after listening your new setup for awhile.

Still feel a little cheated by Devialet as it did not deliver what it advertised, and 8 months later still does not, but yes time to move on and I get the Melco in the middle of next week apparently.
Hope the app is close to being ready as the Lumin app is not a patch on the JRiver app from my initial findings.

My dealer says i should even consider buying a cheap android tablet as the Bubble Upnp app is supposed to be very good.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(27-Oct-2015, 09:35)Womaz Wrote:
(27-Oct-2015, 01:01)hk6230 Wrote: Good for you, now that you have found something that works and you like it. Enjoy and do share your experience after listening your new setup for awhile.

Still feel a little cheated by Devialet as it did not deliver what it advertised, and 8 months later still does not, but yes time to move on and I get the Melco in the middle of next week apparently.
Hope the app is close to being ready as the Lumin app is not a patch on the JRiver app from my initial findings.

My dealer says i should even consider buying a cheap android tablet as the Bubble Upnp app is supposed to be very good.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the SQ as well as how it is in general in daily use Womaz…

I finally arranged an Aurender N100 home demo for later this week (hopefully).  I just have to see if my systems sound is being held back more by the room or the source.  I'm hoping for the latter as at least there's something I can do about that (although I'm as upset as you about the extra expense). Whatever I eventually get, at least this test should clarify where my problem lies as I haven't found a single person  to say that the Aurender isn't an improvement over the Mac, and very few people find many complaints with my speakers (other than that they are a bit unforgiving on bad sources).  I ordered a totalDac USB cable as well, thanks to the 14 trial on that one as its quite expensive.

Anyway, back to the Melco (which is still of interest, but I prefer a dedicated app or a commitment to Roon support, which Aurender have given)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hallo HiFi_Swlon

Keep in mind that the Aurender needs some weeks of burn inn before it sounds its best, just in case that you demo is new.

It may also be worth trying with different cables, I found that the Regen did not improve in my set up, if the filter on the Total Dac cable have the same effect it may be worth experimenting.

Br Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
From my first impressions I did not hear a big step up in SQ from the Melco compared to AIR, but it is very early days and not ideal to compare on a demo.
To me it just had to sound as good and not worse as I have lost patience with AIR.
The lack of app is a disappointment but they have one in development so that did not put me off. The Lumin app looks ok but not a patch on JRiver that i currently use, but hey you cant have everything.
The Lumin app appears to be able to facilitate Tidal and internet radio, but I think that may be just with the Lumin gear, not sure on that yet.
It will be interesting to see if the Aurender tames your brightness. I have the PMC23s and the Melco did not help with this, but I didnt really expect it to.
For me I think it is only certain tracks that I find it too bright, and it is possibly just badly recorded music