Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Audio delay
Hi All,

As we know the Phantoms perform signal processing, this introduces an element of lag to the input signal.  Whilst this processing is necessary to the overall presentation of the Phantoms, it gives me two issues:

1. My Sonos Connect that feeds the Phantoms is out of sync with the other Sonos speakers in the house.
2. Any TV/Video I feed into the Phantoms has lip-sync issues.

Now Devialet understandably won't care about issue 1, Sonos owners have been asking for delay controls for a while as the same happens if you plug a Connect into a home cinema amp.  2 however will need some work as Devialet talk about the Phantoms as home cinema speakers on their website as a future feature.

Has anyone had any success with finding workarounds for either issue?  I know there are some Sonos users here - do you just leave your Phantoms 'Zone' out of groups with your other Sonos units?

I was looking at a Sonos Playbar today and though I could get one to give the TV more oomph and so that it's still possible to use the Sonos 'Party' mode but this just seems daft given I've got the Phantoms in the same room where a Playbar would live - any ideas?
Start by trawling through this thread:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1169
--
Stereo Devialet Silver Phantoms via Dialog.
see also https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Spark-1-4
Thank both, unfortunately the release notes for the new firmware say the delay is reduced for single phantoms and I've got 2x white and a dialog. I think from reading the thread on home cinema the only real choice for Phantom owners is to wait for probably a new Dialog with HDMI connections so that the audio and video streams can be matched up so that the DSP in the Phantoms can be accommodated.

Such as shame as these speakers will be perfect for films with the bass frequency response and speed.

I realised if I lose my Sonos connect I'll also lose the ability to play music from my Synology NAS as Spark doesn't yet have the functionality so that'll have to stay. There's a solution somewhere, I just haven't found it yet :-)
To save anyone else the bother I asked Devialet about future home cinema implementation plans, it was a long shot but unsurprisingly I got a reply to say they are not able to tell me when this update would be available.
I am trying to workaround this as well. I'm using an Epson cinema projector connected to a bluetooth Aptx low latency transmitter which is connected to the Phantoms via bluetooth. Audio delay is still present, but it's close.

I ended up ordering the Roland VC-1-DL as mentioned on the other thread to see if the video delay function will correct the issue. It's coming next week, but i'll report if it works. Currently on sale for $749 at B&H photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/98...video.html

One other option I found was the DVDO iScan Duo High Definition Video Processor MM701. This has a setting that can either delay audio or delay video. The setting is called <Audio Delay>, but you can set its value to be positive or negative. If positive, it delays audio; if negative, it pushes audio ahead of video (i.e., delays video). It just wasn't clear how much video delay it offers. I have sent a message to DVDO about this and have yet to hear back.
Cool. I would love to know if it works properly.
I finally got and installed the Roland VC-1-DL in my home cinema to compensate for the Phantom audio delay due to processing. I can confirm it works...mostly. The spec says the unit can delay video as much as 4.5 frames. Well, it does indeed work with the Phantoms, although I ended up using the maximum delay setting. This gets me about 99.9% perfect sync now. Close enough, although I suspect if it could delay a full 5 frames it would be perfect. Still testing, but so far so good.

Edit: well it seems the phantom audio delay is not consistent. It sometimes fluctuates so audio sync is sometimes spot on or +/- a frame or so when starting a new video stream. This Roland solution does work, but at least for my setup using Bluetooth, the results are not consistent. If you do use Bluetooth, make sure you are using a low latency aptx transmitter, as anything with more latency will probably fall outside what the Roland can do.
Seems like a very expensive half fix :/
Also the variable latency suggests differing network activity, no?
Im not a network guy but have seen similar shifting audio/video latency before on traditional IPTV networks.

I suppose the video and audio would need to be sync'd prior to its broadcast on the network.
Can anyone see Devialet producing a outboard box to deal with synced embedded audio on a video stream this... Im not feeling confident.
I suppose with only ethernet cable connexion, it would be okay.
Can you test that for us?