Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
Some buy two BTW! You may have seen this topic but I’ll share it anyway. Smile

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/s...tup.27758/
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
My SOtM sNH-10G and matching sPS-500 PSU unit arrived this am. 

Got it connected up a few hours ago and pretty much straight away it sounded better than my AQVOX switch. It feels like quite a big improvement actually.

Going to let it run for a bit more and will post more detailed impressions later. Very exciting!  Cool

Cheers,

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Here's a pic: apologies for the general mess but I wanted to show you the SOtM in comparison to the AQVOX. 

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Congrats, mine also arrived last week but haven’t had the chance to fire it up yet since I am relocating all of my audio gear, with the exception of my speakers, into an adjacent room. Main reason for this was to minimize the cable distance of the Ref10 to all supported components. (incl. the Sotm switch)

Did you also go for the Evox Caps option?
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Congrats to both of you receiving those nice SoTM switches!  Smile

I’m tempted, but was tempted before and will resist! Wink At least until the etherREGEN is out and compared.

Enjoy guys!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-May-2019, 09:39)Antoine Wrote:  At least until the etherREGEN is out and compared.

Very wise move Antoine... been following the etherREGEN on the other forums and it does look very interesting. John Swenson's hypotheses regarding leakage currents and clock phase noise on ethernet networks are very interesting. I'd like to think that the SOtM will still hold its own but things are moving so fast it's just impossible to say! I continue to be surprised by how much better the sNG-10G is to the AQVOX, where perhaps the AQVOX's impact was more subtle but certainly noticeable, the sNG-10G is more of an instant wow! It's a slippery slope though and I'm now left wondering about adding a master clock and even a second SOtM!!! I'm sure I read somewhere that the effect of daisy chaining a second sNG-10G was greater than adding a 10 MHz master clock to a single switch.

Perhaps the etherREGEN is a much safer approach after all... still I am enjoying myself a great deal at the moment!  Big Grin

Cheers,

Guillaume

UK
(30-Apr-2019, 20:28)baconbrain Wrote: Did you also go for the Evox Caps option?

Sorry no, at least I don't think so. It certainly wasn't offered to me as an option.

Still I am pretty happy with the result thus far.  Smile

I think you will be in for quite a treat, especially supercharging this thing with the Mutec Ref10!!!  Cool

Guillaume

UK
(01-May-2019, 13:10)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(01-May-2019, 09:39)Antoine Wrote:  At least until the etherREGEN is out and compared.

Very wise move Antoine... been following the etherREGEN on the other forums and it does look very interesting. John Swenson's hypotheses regarding leakage currents and clock phase noise on ethernet networks are very interesting. I'd like to think that the SOtM will still hold its own but things are moving so fast it's just impossible to say! I continue to be surprised by how much better the sNG-10G is to the AQVOX, where perhaps the AQVOX's impact was more subtle but certainly noticeable, the sNG-10G is more of an instant wow! It's a slippery slope though and I'm now left wondering about adding a master clock and even a second SOtM!!! I'm sure I read somewhere that the effect of daisy chaining a second sNG-10G was greater than adding a 10 MHz master clock to a single switch.

Perhaps the etherREGEN is a much safer approach after all... still I am enjoying myself a great deal at the moment!  Big Grin

Cheers,

Guillaume

Usually I’m not that wise. Big Grin I agree the etherREGEN is very interesting being built up from the ground addressing whatever they could think of to reduce noise, phase noise etc. But of course we will have to wait and see to which extent it will deliver. At least you’re covered in the mean time! Smile I do have a JCAT NET Femto card en route to me which I will install in my music server to ‘soften’ the waiting pain! Wink

Anyway, great to read it’s improving SQ that much! And indeed be ‘careful’ not to slide down further the slippery SOtM slope who always have more products and mods for you, from clocks, capacitors, ethernet filters+cables to indeed multiple switches in serial!  Tongue

The Netherlands
(02-May-2019, 10:16)Antoine Wrote:

Cheers,

Guillaume

Usually I’m not that wise. Big Grin I agree the etherREGEN is very interesting being built up from the ground addressing whatever they could think of to reduce noise, phase noise etc. But of course we will have to wait and see to which extent it will deliver. At least you’re covered in the mean time! Smile I do have a JCAT NET Femto card en route to me which I will install in my music server to ‘soften’ the waiting pain! Wink

Anyway, great to read it’s improving SQ that much! And indeed be ‘careful’ not to slide down further the slippery SOtM slope who always have more products and mods for you, from clocks, capacitors, ethernet filters+cables to indeed multiple switches in serial!  Tongue

The JCAT Femto is a great card but ensure that your PSU has the appropriate Amp rating for external power requirements. My old Ultracap LPS-1 couldn’t hang ...

Slippery SOtM slope .... good one!
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(02-May-2019, 10:16)Antoine Wrote:

Cheers,

Guillaume

SOtm will show their new LAN card in Munich so there are more stuff to "slide" down on Smile 

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/highend2019/

– Support M.2 interface(it can be connected with mPCIe and PICe slot)
– Support 10BaseT,100BaseT,1000BaseT
– Support Wake on LAN
– Internal SATA power and external power input
– Ultra low noise regulator
– Ultra low jitter clock
– The audio grade clock module, sCLK-EX, ready
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree