Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(12-May-2019, 22:12)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-May-2019, 21:14)K4680 Wrote:
(12-May-2019, 13:08)GuillaumeB Wrote: She was lovely!! Smile I mainly spoke to her about my crazy journey with switches etc. May mentioned that they were doing research on routers, basically stuff upstream of a switch. They already provide mods for switches but she did hint at a product being made available in the future although at this stage no clear timetable. She knew this forum well!

As to the SPEC room where the M12 was unveiled, yes there did already have a sNG-10G (without clock module) but I didn't hear any digital prior to the M12 being connected so no comparison could be made. From what I could see the M12 was connected directly to a WIFI router.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Hi, I saw the switch at different companies during their performances !!

Hi there this looks like the display at the JCAT stand?

That’s the “cheaper” switch!

Guillaume

Hello, they are right! Unfortunately I could not find out about the price of the small model Sad
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(13-May-2019, 10:01)K4680 Wrote:
(12-May-2019, 22:12)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-May-2019, 21:14)K4680 Wrote: Hi, I saw the switch at different companies during their performances !!

Hi there this looks like the display at the JCAT stand?

Guillaume

Hello, they are right!  Unfortunately I could not find out about the price of the small model Sad

The smaller model is called M12 Switch Magic and will retail at 2,550 euros. I believe this includes a couple of Telegärtner ethernet cables with M12 connectors. I asked Marcin about the performance of this model relative to the Gold, he said it gave around 60% of the performance of the Gold.

https://telegaertner.co.jp/product/audio...magic.html

It seems that these products are made by Telegärtner Japan and distributed by JPLAY outside of Japan.

Cheers,

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(13-May-2019, 11:02)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(13-May-2019, 10:01)K4680 Wrote:
(12-May-2019, 22:12)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi there this looks like the display at the JCAT stand?

Guillaume

Hello, they are right!  Unfortunately I could not find out about the price of the small model Sad

The smaller model is called M12 Switch Magic and will retail at 2,550 euros. I believe this includes a couple of Telegärtner ethernet cables with M12 connectors. I asked Marcin about the performance of this model relative to the Gold, he said it gave around 60% of the performance of the Gold.

https://telegaertner.co.jp/product/audio...magic.html

It seems that these products are made by Telegärtner Japan and distributed by JPLAY outside of Japan.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Hi, thank you for the info!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
(07-May-2019, 20:50)GuillaumeB Wrote: Guys I am so bowled over by the SOtM switch that I've ordered a second one! I know, I know! Madness.

It's doing something to the sound that is utterly addictive. I want more of this.  Wink

I have a couple of configurations that I want to explore, both using fibre optic cables (SFP).

Cheers,

Guillaume

Wow, color me impressed, congrats! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(07-May-2019, 20:50)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have a couple of configurations that I want to explore, both using fibre optic cables (SFP).

I must admit that playing around with fiber is a bit tempting now owning the switch. Can someone tell me how flexible / bendable fiber optic cable is? Is it easy to damage? In my case, I would have to run it under the flooring and around a couple of corners...
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(18-May-2019, 19:16)baconbrain Wrote:
(07-May-2019, 20:50)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have a couple of configurations that I want to explore, both using fibre optic cables (SFP).

I must admit that playing around with fiber is a bit tempting now owning the switch. Can someone tell me how flexible / bendable fiber optic cable is? Is it easy to damage? In my case, I would have to run it under the flooring and around a couple of corners...

Hello Baconbrain, do not stretch and kink.  Due to the shell not very sensitive!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Germany / Bavaria
(18-May-2019, 19:16)baconbrain Wrote:

When I myself first bought optical cables I didn’t do much ‘research’ and just bought plain OM4 type cables, brand unknown. Only later I saw that there’s all types of specialty cables as well including types that can bend. Have a look here for example: https://www.fs.com/c/fiber-optic-cables-209

You can see there’s ‘bend insensitive’ cables (BIF) there for example or ruggedized ones.

So short answer: it depends on the cable. All (should) have the maximum bend radius’s specified. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(19-May-2019, 10:00)Antoine Wrote: When I myself first bought optical cables I didn’t do much ‘research’ and just bought plain OM4 type cables, brand unknown. Only later I saw that there’s all types of specialty cables as well including types that can bend. Have a look here for example: https://www.fs.com/c/fiber-optic-cables-209

You can see there’s ‘bend insensitive’ cables (BIF) there for example or ruggedized ones.

So short answer: it depends on the cable. All (should) have the maximum bend radius’s specified. Smile

Really appreciate this. Are you currently running Multi- or Singlemode?
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(20-May-2019, 09:24)baconbrain Wrote:
(19-May-2019, 10:00)Antoine Wrote: When I myself first bought optical cables I didn’t do much ‘research’ and just bought plain OM4 type cables, brand unknown. Only later I saw that there’s all types of specialty cables as well including types that can bend. Have a look here for example: https://www.fs.com/c/fiber-optic-cables-209

Really appreciate this. Are you currently running Multi- or Singlemode?

No problem! Smile

I bought the parts for the optical setup before many people started experimenting with different types of cables, SFP’s, single/multi mode etc. It now seems to matter also or at least some people report differences in the resulting SQ of their systems. So while I am at standard 550nm multi mode, single mode for long distances like 20/40/80kms seems better. Corning cables seems to get good reviews.

I’ve only found snippets of information re this subject on audiophilestyle and whatsbestforum. I do believe @octaviars has researched and/or experimented here a bit. I myself have put it on the ‘virtual to do list’ for perhaps after the etherREGEN becomes available (which also has an optical input). Smile

The Netherlands
(19-May-2019, 10:00)Antoine Wrote: No problem! Smile

I bought the parts for the optical setup before many people started experimenting with different types of cables, SFP’s, single/multi mode etc. It now seems to matter also or at least some people report differences in the resulting SQ of their systems. So while I am at standard 550nm multi mode, single mode for long distances like 20/40/80kms seems better. Corning cables seems to get good reviews.

I’ve only found snippets of information re this subject on audiophilestyle and whatsbestforum. I do believe @octaviars has researched and/or experimented here a bit. I myself have put it on the ‘virtual to do list’ for perhaps after the etherREGEN becomes available (which also has an optical input). Smile

I believe I found a cable that would fit the bill. The ClearCurve Rugged Drop, Indoor, Tight-Buffered Cable, Plenum 1 F, Single-mode from Corning sounds like it has the flexibility and protection for a dwelling installation but finding a distributor in Germany is a bit challenging. My research continues ...