Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries Vs Aurender X100
Hello All,

New here and glad to be part of the community. i went through some of the threads as a guest and it was very helpful and informative

i am new happy owner of D200 soon to be D400 (Waiting for the companion to arrive) and i was looking for a Upnp solution for my system.

i was intrigued by the Aurender S10 and W20 but always thought that their prices are prohibitive IMHO. then i came across a review about Aurender X100L (which is relatively speaking reasonably priced) and it was highly praised and claimed it was as good as the flag ship W20.

what do you think of Auralic Aries vs. Aurender X100 (L or S)? in terms of sound quality with Devialet and also in terms of use and functionality.

thanks a lot!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Hello amabrok, wellcome to the Devialetchat!

Today I attended a presentation of the Auralic Aries. It's a streaming 'bridge' i.e. a kind of computer, running on a stripped Linux OS specialiced in audiostreaming. It needs a server, like MinimServer or TwonkyMedia on a NAS to run. It's using its own variety of the uPnP/DLNA-protocol. It doesn't have a DAC. It connects with a DAC via s/pdif cinch, symmetrical AES and also USB, allowing the assymmetrical protocol to run.

It was demo'd with the brandnew Dynaudio focus XD (active LS with digital amps of 150 W per component) I heard the XD 400 LS. It sounded very well, I can tell you.

The Auralic streamer bridge might be an interesting match with Devialet as well. The iPad (Lightning DS) app worked very well and quick. Much better and faster than the Kinksky app for instance. Online lossless streaming is possible as well with Qobuz or WiMP. And even internetradio is integrated. Very impressive! All of it was demo'd at the occasion and it worked flawlessly.

More specifications is here to be found on the website of Auralic

I can't tell you about the Aurender. It wasn't demo'd at the occasion. But pricewise I would give it a try with the Auralic Aries, the one with the external linear PSU.

Of course there are also other options as well, like mine: a supersilent fanless HTPC in a Streacom housing with SSD, running on W8.1 and using JRiver and the AIR-ethernet streamer of Devialet. And the JRemote app on your iDevice. I'm happy to say that I don't experience any hiccups in the sound or the feared 'white noise', like many others do. Devialet has to work on this, I assume.

Quote:
The ARIES serves as a “bridge” between music files on network storage or high quality online streaming services and the consumers’ DAC — enabling DACs for the first time to stream high-resolution music quickly and wirelessly in virtually any sampling rate, including DSD, Double-Rate DSD and DXD.

The inputs of ARIES include Dual-Band high-speed WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet and USB 2.0 port. The outputs are USB audio host buffered by AURALiC’s patented ActiveUSB technology; low jitter digital audio outputs: AES/EBU, Coaxial and TOSLINK. The USB audio host can deliver PCM from 44.1 to 384 KHz at 16-, 24- and 32-bit resolutions as well as DSD, Double-Rate DSD for compatible USB DAC. The other digital outputs are limited to 192 KHz at 24-bit in maximum according to S/PDIF standard.

ARIES is bundled with AURALiC’s Lightning DS App. The App has the capability to fully control ARIES to browse your music libraries on your network-attached storage (NAS), to steam high quality music content from service providers like Qobuz and WiMP, to control the playback and to select the hardware settings such as output channel and WiFi network, etc. The App also supports Songcast, a music distribution service that allows users to map computer’s sound to any Lightning-equipped system and to map sound between different Lightning systems in the house and streaming sound though Apple AirPlay.

The ARIES Streamer Bridge will be available in two models:

· ARIES LE: The standard model with low-phase noise crystal and standard external PSU.

· ARIES: The set-up model with two individual FemtoClocks for both USB audio host and digital outputs, low noise internal design to eliminate jitter and AURALiC Purer‐Power based 10uV low noise external linear PSU.

[Image: auralic-aries-lightning-streamer-3206-p.jpg]
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(14-Nov-2014, 22:46)Charlemagne Wrote: Hello amabrok, wellcome to the Devialetchat!

Thanks Charlemagne!

very helpful regarding the Auralic Aries. Hopefully my local dealer will have it within a week or so and then i will get a chance to demo it.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(15-Nov-2014, 07:56)amabrok Wrote: Thanks Charlemagne!

very helpful regarding the Auralic Aries. Hopefully my local dealer will have it within a week or so and then i will get a chance to demo it.

Your wellcome! Don't forget to post your impressions about the AA. In the meanwhile, while you're waiting for the demo, you can read this excellent review on Computer Audiophile.

ChM
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
and for another comparison, Ted B is running a CA article series comparing 3 different approaches (Aries, Aurender and a custom-built computer)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conten...roduction/

unfortunately he has only posted part 1 intro so far, so you have to wait for the detailed assessment of Aries and Aurender...
(15-Nov-2014, 11:55)Charlemagne Wrote:
(15-Nov-2014, 07:56)amabrok Wrote: Thanks Charlemagne!

Your wellcome! Don't forget to post your impressions about the AA. In the meanwhile, while you're waiting for the demo, you can read this excellent review on Computer Audiophile.

ChM

+1

(15-Nov-2014, 12:13)krass Wrote: and for another comparison, Ted B is running a CA article series comparing 3 different approaches (Aries, Aurender and a custom-built computer)

unfortunately he has only posted part 1 intro so far, so you have to wait for the detailed assessment of Aries and Aurender...

Thanks Krass

i read the intro and sounds exactly like what i was looking for. looking forward to seeing Ted's follow up 3 parts.

Dubai, UAE
(15-Nov-2014, 12:44)amabrok Wrote:
(15-Nov-2014, 12:13)krass Wrote: and for another comparison, Ted B is running a CA article series comparing 3 different approaches (Aries, Aurender and a custom-built computer)

Thanks Krass

i read the intro and sounds exactly like what i was looking for. looking forward to seeing Ted's follow up 3 parts.

....I was too but decided not to wait; my Aurender comes next week. There seems to be a fair bit of chat about Aries setup and other issues, whereas I read nothing but praise for the Aurender, including the iPad app. Of course there's a big price difference but my own motivation was minimum hassle, having decided to get off the MacMini route. As they say, YMMV !

mike
(15-Nov-2014, 21:40)krass Wrote:
(15-Nov-2014, 12:44)amabrok Wrote:

Thanks Krass

....I was too but decided not to wait; my Aurender comes next week. There seems to be a fair bit of chat about Aries setup and other issues, whereas I read nothing but praise for the Aurender, including the iPad app. Of course there's a big price difference but my own motivation was minimum hassle, having decided to get off the MacMini route. As they say, YMMV !

mike

Great. Please share your thoughts once you have it. I'm eager to learn more about a first hand experience. Maybe we can then contrast that with my Auralic Aries experience once I get the demo unit from my local dealer.

Dubai, UAE
good news!

my local dealer finally has an X100L unit which i will borrow to try in my system over the weekend. i am really looking forward to testing it Cool

Dubai, UAE
I have had the Auralic Aries for almost a month. It's connected with usb via ifi usb into the Devialet.
This has replaced my Mac mini with amarra as my main /preferred digital source.
I'm using jriver as a server to the Aries , it sounds great, it took a while though. Initially the Aries sounded bright with some sibilance. Within a week it had settled down and now I love it.
My delight with Aries may also be due to my frustrations with amarra, I've got tired of the bugs and hassle.
Also , I'm using the qobuz service on the Aries and with very few hiccups it has opened my ears to a world of new music /new releases .
The app tells you the rate the music is streaming at, classical music sounds excellent!

I noticed another thread on the devialet usb cable not needing power, I'll check this out in the future. To my ears the usb input sounded better than aes which surprised me, I thought Devialet preferred the aes. The usb was more airy , the aes more like a traditional cd sound, a little flat for my taste.
So far so good, now I am waiting for Thansgiving USA when the external HD function willbe enabled through an updated lighting app.
Thumbs up from me for the Aries,
theaudioguru
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.