Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic streaming to D200/D250 question
My question(s) are probably basic but I'm not seeing an explicit answer in the postings.
I'm considering moving to a D200 or D250. My music (large library) resides on a Synology 1513+ NAS. 
Today, I play directly from the NAS to the ethernet input of my oppo105, controlled via an Ipad (Oppo remote app or Linn Kinsky).

1: if I were to plug the ethernet cable from the NAS directly into a D200/D250, would I be able to browse and play my music files that way?

2. If yes: would I use a different control app on my Ipad and if so which?

3. If yes, does that include DSD files? DSD64? DSD128? DoP?

3b. If no DSD yet, does anyone know if that is planned any time soon?

4. If no on Q1, does that mean I still need to buy a streamer or a network bridge a la Auralic Aries?

Thank you for your help.

Current system: Synology NAS -> Oppo105 via ethernet -> Parasound JC1-BP preamp via balanced -> Bel Canto Ref1000 via balanced.
Expert systems now support DSD64 via DoP. Using a streamer, like Aries or build-your-own Roon server, will be ideal to play all your music stored on your Synology. And, you can use a remote app for music selection. Roon will have more options for remote. And now that Aries is RoonReady, having both is even better.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Thank you,
So to be clear:  plugging the ethernet cable directly into the D200/D250 will not work?

I can't use Roon as I have consciously removed my PC's from the audio chain (that's part of why I bought the NAS instead of just a 'dumb' hard drive).
No, I believe it won't work.

BTW, having an Intel NUC with a 64GB SSD and using it purely as a music server with all music stored on NAS is a good solution. .
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(13-Jan-2016, 11:14)pvanosta Wrote: Thank you,
So to be clear:  plugging the ethernet cable directly into the D200/D250 will not work?

I can't use Roon as I have consciously removed my PC's from the audio chain (that's part of why I bought the NAS instead of just a 'dumb' hard drive).

There are rumours that Devialet is working on it and it would be implemented somewhere this year,
but with Devialet you can never be sure. It might take a lot longer. If ever...
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Thanks,
Unfortunately that doesn't jive with my understanding of the word Streamer, often used to describe the D series. A streamer takes an inbound ethernet signal and converts it into a digital output or (if an internal DAC is present, such as it is in the Devialet) converts it into an analog output...
This is what the Absolute sound reviewer wrote when reviewing the D200:

"You can also stream music files to the 200 via the 200’s Ethernet connection."  

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...aming-dac/

How should I interpret this statement based on the comments in this thread?
(13-Jan-2016, 11:45)pvanosta Wrote: This is what the Absolute sound reviewer wrote when reviewing the D200:

"You can also stream music files to the 200 via the 200’s Ethernet connection."  

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...aming-dac/

How should I interpret this statement based on the comments in this thread?

If you install Devialets AIR protocoll on your computer you can stream with it directly to your D amplifier that is what they mean....AIR is i nice thing but it only works for some and for us others alot of problems so I would avoid that rute.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(13-Jan-2016, 11:45)pvanosta Wrote: "You can also stream music files to the 200 via the 200’s Ethernet connection."  

...How should I interpret this statement based on the comments in this thread?...

Ignore it Wink  From someone that didn't - trust me!

Unless you want to use Air and a computer.  Even in that case, I would not go anywhere near that as a solution unless you can get a home evaluation of a D200/250 for long enough to check that it works reliably in your setup.  And even then I would just be clear that it may stop working at some point in the future (OS changes, your network bits), and Devialet have zero reputation in fixing it in a timely and reliable manner.

In short, there are a lot of other solutions out there, so if you need something now I would go the Aries/Sonic Orbiter SE/NUC route (or any other streamer you see recommended here and elsewhere), or wait a few months more and see what Munich brings…I sense there will be a lot of good options by then.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Thank you all and I am glad I asked the question now  Smile

I may still end up with a Devialet, but it's no longer the slam dunk, "replace 3 boxes with 1" solution I was hoping for.