Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best streamer(s) alternatives for Devialet Air
(05-Feb-2016, 11:05)hk6230 Wrote: Err, no. Devialet AIR is a wireless connection between PC/MAC/iPhone to Devialet.

Thank you for the reply. I read this on Devialet website:

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...a-Devialet

There is an option that called: "Direct Ethernet link between the Devialet and your computer"

I just wonder if it is possible to direct ethernet link between the Devialet and Aries.
The problem is less the physical connection than the communications protocol. The poorly-named Devialet AIR stands for "Asynchronous Intelligent Router" not wireless (although it can use WiFi as well as Ethernet). To use AIR you need two devices which understand the protocol: a Devialet device and something running the Devialet AIR app, a computer or phone for example. So if AURALiC built the AIR protocol into the Aries then it could communicate with the Devialet using AIR, but until then it cannot. At least that's my understanding so far.
(05-Feb-2016, 12:42)deviousalet Wrote: The problem is less the physical connection than the communications protocol. The poorly-named Devialet AIR stands for "Asynchronous Intelligent Router" not wireless (although it can use WiFi as well as Ethernet). To use AIR you need two devices which understand the protocol: a Devialet device and something running the Devialet AIR app, a computer or phone for example. So if AURALiC built the AIR protocol into the Aries then it could communicate with the Devialet using AIR, but until then it cannot. At least that's my understanding so far.

Oh, I see now. Thank you.

What about Aries output option, then? What will be best choise? USB or SPDIF for my Devialet 120? Any thoughts?
(05-Feb-2016, 13:08)hadimd Wrote:
(05-Feb-2016, 12:42)deviousalet Wrote: The problem is less the physical connection than the communications protocol. The poorly-named Devialet AIR stands for "Asynchronous Intelligent Router" not wireless (although it can use WiFi as well as Ethernet). To use AIR you need two devices which understand the protocol: a Devialet device and something running the Devialet AIR app, a computer or phone for example. So if AURALiC built the AIR protocol into the Aries then it could communicate with the Devialet using AIR, but until then it cannot. At least that's my understanding so far.

Oh, I see now. Thank you.

What about Aries output option, then? What will be best choise? USB or SPDIF for my Devialet 120? Any thoughts?

Probably USB or AES.

There are a few Aries users here that can give you there opinion, but the easiest will be to try both for yourself.  Or venture down the scary road of reading all the arguments about which is best and why - with enough material across the various hifi forums to keep you 'entertained' for a lifetime - after which you'll still be no better off since the only thing that matters is which you prefer. Wink

And don't worry about missing out on Air - unless you're one of the lucky few, bypassing it will be one the best decisions you made….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I am currently using the Auralic Mini with the Sbooster power supply. Spdif coax out to the D400 and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I have compared it to the Melco N1A USB out and the Auralic Mini sounds much more detailed in comparison. However I must add that I am using a generic printer USB cable with the Melco. Auralic Mini by itself with its wall wart switching power supply is acceptable just like 16/44 is. But you add the linear power supply like the Sbooster and it take the Mini to new heights. Highly recommended but only with the linear PSU.
Auralic Mini (Sbooster LPSU), Rega RP8, Melco N1A, Devialet D200, Devialet 400, ELAC BS314, ELAC BS312, Sonus Faber Olympica 1, Audioquest (Victoria, Yosemite, Vodka Cat7, Carbon USB) Chord Epic Master/Companion link, Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cable, Inakustik Reference LS-803 speaker cable,Isotek premium mains cables, TCI mains cables, Atlas mains unfiltered distribution block, Supra filtered mains distribution block, and synergistic research (red/black fuse,sort kone), and vertexaq (silver-jaya).