Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best test tracks
(12-Mar-2016, 21:45)archer75 Wrote:
(11-Mar-2016, 15:26)AaronG Wrote: The most important thing is something w/ a lot of dynamic variation. Violin concerto recordings are really good for this -- Hilary Hahn playing Beethoven is one of my favorites. You really can hear if a speaker can go from very quiet to very loud in a heartbeat while preserving all the complex textures.

Great suggestion, I am able to find her playing Bach not Beethoven though but this also serves the purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Her Bach isn't bad either! Any well recorded violin or piano concerto that plays loud against quiet will do!
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Spoons is fun, put it on via Spotify this morning and even then I could imagine doing some serious damage to my loudspeakers. Tempted to buy the CD
In a very similar note I always find Pendulum, "The Other Side" a bit of fun!

More seriously we always try to listen to tracks that we (1) really like (2) appear to be a good test and (3) seem to be quite well recorded.
But in terms of number (3) a number of ours are not that great.
Over time the audition list changes over time as our mood changes. But an example of stuff we keep going back to ...

Massive Attack: Angel, Teardrop
Chris Jones: Thank You
The Smiths: Please, please let me get what I want
Chase & Status: End Credits
Pendulum (as above)
Jeff Buckley: Hallelujah, Lover, You Should've come over
Scott Matthews: Elusive

Neil
(18-Mar-2016, 11:07)NeilM Wrote: Spoons is fun, put it on via Spotify this morning and even then I could imagine doing some serious damage to my loudspeakers. Tempted to buy the CD
In a very similar note I always find Pendulum, "The Other Side" a bit of fun!

More seriously we always try to listen to tracks that we (1) really like (2) appear to be a good test and (3) seem to be quite well recorded.
But in terms of number (3) a number of ours are not that great.
Over time the audition list changes over time as our mood changes. But an example of stuff we keep going back to ...

Massive Attack: Angel, Teardrop
Chris Jones: Thank You
The Smiths: Please, please let me get what I want
Chase & Status: End Credits
Pendulum (as above)
Jeff Buckley: Hallelujah, Lover, You Should've come over
Scott Matthews: Elusive

Neil

For me it's;

Phil Collins - In the air tonight
Ane Brun - All my tears
Laurie Anderson - love among the sailors
Jim White - Still waters
Richard Buckner - Tether and the Tie\Mile

If anything makes these songs sound better, I'm buying it!!
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
Found these sound good on the Phantom.

Joe Jackson - Home Town.
New Order - Krafty.
Pet Shop Boys - Being Boring.
Raúl Orellana - Entre Dos Mundos.
Grace Jones - Slave to the Rhythm (12").
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Hi guys,

Try the song "Close To The Edge" by Yes : a wide range of frequencies and moods. You've got a flowing stream, birds, a killer bass, lead vocal without reverb and an organ coming out of nowhere, ... On my previous system the end of the organ solo seemed to be blurred and distorted, with the D200 it became crystal clear. There's also "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune" by Debussy" (Simon Rattle) : a lot of nuances (winds, cords and harp). "Musikalische Exequien" by Schütz" may help to assess the "mystical" proficiency of a system. Just to share with you.
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
As per my last post 'What are you listening....' - Roger Walters - Amused to Death! (latest Hi-res version)

Such a diversity of sound, from vocals, to a very rich tapestry of background sounds from the real world, including aircraft, old radio broadcasts, conversations, laud and very quiet passages, all intermingled to really test your systems ability to produce a wide soundscape & define....
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Star 
Hello.

Here  is my test tracks list. I made especially a public playlist Available on Qobuz :
http://player.qobuz.com/#!/playlist/1210714

For bass (test your speakers AND your room...) :
Angel, Massive Attack : all starts here...
Ballade de Melody Nelson, Serge Gainsbourg :  Natural bass,  and voices, of course...
Limit to your Love (James Blake) : listen at 57' ! Did you really think you adressed all you bass problems in your room ? ;-)
Lucifer/He felt like a woman (Hjaltalin) : just for pleasure...

Classic/Lyric :Is Emotion there?
Cold Song (Purcell-Klaus Nomi).
Miserere (Gregorio Allegri)
Cum Demerit (from album Home, Sandrine Piau)
Stabat Mater (Pergolesi, 1)

Voices : Mainly from French Singer, sorry for non native ;-)
The voice is such a complex instrument....

J'veux pas qu'au t'en ailles (Michel Jonaz, Live au Palais des Sports) 
Rive Gauche (Alain Souchon, Au ras des Pâquerettes) : voice of Alain, and acoustic guitar, and bass...
Où vont les rêves  (Michel Jonaz, où vont les rêves) : splendid voice of Michel !
Baba Love (Arthur H, Baba Love) : for his voice ...
Pierrot (Loïc Antoine, Tout est calme) : voice and acoustic guitar !
Dorian (Avantine, Agnes Obel) : Why ? Cause I'm just in love with her... and this marvelous voice of course...
Knockin' on heaven's door (Claire Diterzi, Requiem For Billy The Kid") : for the details of this splendid voice of this marvelous french singer.
Kiss Me Mother, Kiss Your Darling (Micah P. Hinson, All Dressed Up And Smelling Of Strangers) : voice and acoustic guitar
Fink, Trouble's What You're In, Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet : voice and acoustic guitar (listen to the concert acoustic)
Fiona Apple, Hot Knife, The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than... : voice, and very interesting drums
Down Here I've Done My Best (Take 6, One) :  Gospel for those who enjoy bass voices
Noah (Noah, THE FAIRFIELD FOUR) : Gospel for those who enjoy bass voices

Big Sound : Is your system "Party-Compliant" ?
Usually mid bas music (i.e. with a lot of "impact"). To high to promote room problems, but it can be awful to listen if bass are not well controlled
BreezeBlock (Rockdaworld Mix, Alt-J)
The Alphabet (David Guetta) 
Kalimba (Mr. Scruff, Ninja Tuna)
Down The Road (C2C, Tetra)
Skunk Annie,  Charlie Big Potato, Post Orgasmic Chill 
Deep Forest, Ouverture Huahiné (Album Version), Pacifique
Klangkarussell, Sonnentanz (Sun Don't Shine / Bonus Track), Netzwerk

Cool Special track : Cool
If you want to test the "3D effect" of your system and optimize the speaker location regarding this, this track is what you need :
Silly Sally, (Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke) : very long track (16'34"), but all what you need is inside (except voices, maybe) :
*between 04'28->5'50" : electric guitar with pedal effects (and left <->right movement) The idea is to place the speakers in order to obtain a "smooth" shift between right and left speakers.  
*between 06'55" and 9'50" : the best battery ever. But with a lot of post production effects (phase shift), that allows to enjoy 3D effects of your system, if any...

Enjoy, and let me Know if some of those tracks gave you some pleasure or were useful.
MacMini -> Audirvana +AudioUnits -> Devialet "The 120" (USB) -> BW 802 Di -> My room -> My ears 
And other stuff for Home Cinema...
FR
(11-Jun-2016, 14:47)Seb310 Wrote: Hello.

Here  is my test tracks list. I made especially a public playlist Available on Qobuz :

Ballade de Melody Nelson, Serge Gainsbourg :  Natural bass,  and voices, of course...
Limit to your Love (James Blake) : listen at 57' ! Did you really think you adressed all you bass problems in your room ? ;-)

Rive Gauche (Alain Souchon, Au ras des Pâquerettes) : voice of Alain, and acoustic guitar, and bass...
Où vont les rêves  (Michel Jonaz, où vont les rêves) : splendid voice of Michel !
Dorian (Avantine, Agnes Obel) : Why ? Cause I'm just in love with her... and this marvelous voice of course...
Knockin' on heaven's door (Claire Diterzi, Requiem For Billy The Kid") : for the details of this splendid voice of this marvelous french singer.
Kiss Me Mother, Kiss Your Darling (Micah P. Hinson, All Dressed Up And Smelling Of Strangers) : voice and acoustic guitar
Fink, Trouble's What You're In, Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet : voice and acoustic guitar (listen to the concert acoustic)
Fiona Apple, Hot Knife, The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than... : voice, and very interesting drums
Down Here I've Done My Best (Take 6, One) :  Gospel for those who enjoy bass voices

Usually mid bas music (i.e. with a lot of "impact"). To high to promote room problems, but it can be awful to listen if bass are not well controlled

If you want to test the "3D effect" of your system and optimize the speaker location regarding this, this track is what you need :
Silly Sally, (Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke) : very long track (16'34"), but all what you need is inside (except voices, maybe) :
*between 04'28->5'50" : electric guitar with pedal effects (and left <->right movement) The idea is to place the speakers in order to obtain a "smooth" shift between right and left speakers.  
*between 06'55" and 9'50" : the best battery ever. But with a lot of post production effects (phase shift), that allows to enjoy 3D effects of your system, if any...

Enjoy, and let me Know if some of those tracks gave you some pleasure or were useful.

That's a very eclectic selection - but some very enjoyable pieces there.

Have a go at 'Mustayaluca' by Ulf Lundell - drenched in reverb, but some nice vocals (in Swedish) and bass lurking underneath the wash.

Thanks for sharing.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(11-Jun-2016, 14:47)Seb310 Wrote: Hello.

Very happy with this tracklist not only to check your system capabilities but also a joy to listen.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
One song that I always use to test the system is “Ida Y Vueta”, performed by Gino D’Auri from FIM XRCD.
To me a good system has good control of all instruments playing in the song, and this song has everything. Most of the time I can tell if the system is good or bad.

I found a youtube version but if you can find the lossless or DSD version, it’s really worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m62n1d0UFc&t=494s

(the song is at 57:20)