Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to stream music to Gold Phantoms
What is the best method in terms of sound quality to stream music to Gold Phantoms (RAAT, UPNP, Optical)?
I prefer RAAT and can't hear any difference between RAAT, UPnP and optical input when using Roon.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Found optical to be the poorest, then Airplay and best UPnP. Never tried RAAT, no Roon.
UPnP should be the best - also theoretically, since the whole file is being processed by the Phantoms, so no additional jitter can take place.

it's a shame that not all the streaming Giants use UPnP. It's by definition the best thing for streaming audio - just serve the file and the receiver will make the best of it. Also fool-proof by definition.
I think RAAT is more natural to my ears.
And got more reach content .
Roon is mixing audio with visuals.
And for 119$ a year (;
Is raat and room like Spotify where it has all the music?

If so. How does it really compare?
Crutchfield can suck a fat baby arm. 
(18-Mar-2021, 19:46)BAMBAMODA Wrote: Is raat and room like Spotify where it has all the music?

Nothing has all the music. Spotify is a streaming provider that streams for the moment a lossy format under par for what the Gold Phantom can play. Roon is a computer audio content management software that is under monthly or annual licensing or can be purchased as lifetime use. It includes integration of two streaming services, Qobuz and Tidal, that when subscribed can be used nicely integrated in Roon together with your locally stored library. This allows enriched metadata use of local files together with the full library of the two streaming providers, given you subscribe to one or both of them. For me this is a perfect solution as the streaming offer of both providers is CD quality or higher (also MQA in case of Tidal, which is debated being better than CD). My Qobuz subscription used in Roon allows me to use all the nicely made rich hyperlink between artist, producers, audio engineers... Great to find what other bands your favorite bands’ sound engineer has mixed or what else the producer or e.g. Foo Fighters or Biffy Clyro has promoted. Nice to be able to start these explorations from your long time owned local library. That’s what in my opinion Roon gives you at a fair prize.
(18-Mar-2021, 23:21)streamy Wrote:
(18-Mar-2021, 19:46)BAMBAMODA Wrote: Is raat and room like Spotify where it has all the music?

Nothing has all the music. Spotify is a streaming provider that streams for the moment a lossy format under par for what the Gold Phantom can play. Roon is a computer audio content management software that is under monthly or annual licensing or can be purchased as lifetime use. It includes integration of two streaming services, Qobuz and Tidal, that when subscribed can be used nicely integrated in Roon together with your locally stored library. This allows enriched metadata use of local files together with the full library of the two streaming providers, given you subscribe to one or both of them. For me this is a perfect solution as the streaming offer of both providers is CD quality or higher (also MQA in case of Tidal, which is debated being better than CD). My Qobuz subscription used in Roon allows me to use all the nicely made rich hyperlink between artist, producers, audio engineers... Great to find what other bands your favorite bands’ sound engineer has mixed or what else the producer or e.g. Foo Fighters or Biffy Clyro has promoted. Nice to be able to start these explorations from your long time owned local library. That’s what in my opinion Roon gives you at a fair prize.
That’s pretty cool. So basically a program that equals Patric Bateman.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Damn. I just compared tidal to Spotify. There is a noticeable sound difference. I’m sold.
(05-Mar-2021, 19:06)Hrithik0015 Wrote: What is the best method in terms of sound quality to stream music to Gold Phantoms (RAAT, UPNP, Optical)?
Buy Audirvana for Mac and suscribe to Qobuz studio and use either UPNP or optical from a Macbook or similar to stream Hires content (look for the yellow H in Qobuz). Much better than airplay. With Audirvana remote (free app for Ios) you don't need to stay by the laptop Mac. You can navigate with the Apple smartphone.
If your wifi is not so great better use optical than UPNP and plug both phantoms in the same outlet or connect them with an ethernet wire.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac