Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help in streaming for Devialet 120
(21-Jun-2020, 18:33)Sailor4W Wrote:
(21-Jun-2020, 17:17)lal99 Wrote:
(21-Jun-2020, 09:31)Sailor4W Wrote: I did have problems with streaming from my SonicTransporter via Ethernet to my Expert 120 via Deviate’s AIR. Particularly 24/192 high-Resolution files caused intermittent crackling. Also, Roon indicated that transport was not bit-perfect anymore. I suspected the reason to be in the 1 Gb/s switch I was using. So I dug out my old Airport Extreme to run it exclusively in 2.4 GHz mode that reduces the Speed to 450 Mb/s. Since then, everything runs perfectly fine, everything’s bit perfect, no crackles whatsoever. Hope this helps.

I assume you were using Roon and Sonic transporter was acting as roon core. I had issue with 24/192 and even CD quality. But I was not using roon just devialet air. You were using a separate switch? 
In my case I was just using my router.

Using SonicTransporter provided better sound quality compared to using mac mini or laptop?  Please let me know.
Friend of mine suggested SonicTransporter and another friend said only quality of roon endpoint matters.

Thank you.
Yes indeed, I am using the SonicTransporter as a Roon core. The SonicTransporter has no USB output, so I needed to connect it via a switch with the Devialet Expert 120. I first connected the Devialet and the SonicTransporter to a 1 Gb/s switch. I did have intermittent crackling with 24/192 files, up to 24 bit/96 kHz files went OK. I read in the forum here that even the new Expert Pros do have a problem with streaming Roon mostly because the Ethernet input doesn't seem to be compatible with Gb/s networks. This is why I switched to my Airport Extreme running at 400 Mb/s in the 2.4 GHz band. This setup runs perfectly well with the AIR protocol and the Roon pathway is very simple (see attached file).

One other thing to consider also is the device set up in Roon: when you'r connecting a device, Roon sets the Buffer Size to Default (whatever that means, see attached file). Make sure to set it to at least 100 ms buffer size, otherwise you'll get network problems and the Devialet starts to crackle frequently.

I used my Mac Mini as the Roon core for a long time. Out of practical reasons, I decided to buy a SonicTransporter. After setting it up, I immediately noticed a cleaner background, as if some high pitched noise disappeared. Whether this is solely due to the SonicTransporter, I can't really tell, but the effect was immediately noticeable. So it was a good thing I bought the SonicTransporter. Also, the support of Small Green Computer was very, very good, as I had some problems in setting up the system. Outstanding company and a very good product!

I keep my fingers crossed that you can solve your problems!

I got a sonicTransporter and I am planning to use it as Roon core. I will update you.
I am having some difficulty in adding songs from hard disk and thumb drive. I hope I can solve it today.
Overall I liked the product.
Hello,
At present I am using sonic transporter as roon core and I use a fiber optic cable with SFP module and use a 6 inch ethernet cable
to connect to router and Devialet 120. At present I use the ethernet ports on router from my internet service provider.
I read using a better switch will provide improvement. Gigabit ethernet switch doesnt work with Devialet 120?
Can you guys recommend a good Ethernet switch which is not super expensive?

Thanks
Rlal
@Sailorw : in the config of the Devialet 120, did you disable wifi, since you are using ethernet? I had issues with my Roon streaming, as long as both Wifi and Ethernet were enabled in the config.
Also: any cheap 10/100 5-port switch (20 euros) will do the job if you want to throttle the network speed. You just connect 1 ethernet to your Gigabit switch and the other tyo your Devialet. NOTE: I have not needed my 10/100 switch since I disabled Wifi (and since the latest OS upgrade).
(16-Oct-2020, 07:20)pvanosta Wrote: @Sailorw  : in the config of the Devialet 120, did you disable wifi, since you are using ethernet? I had issues with my Roon streaming, as long as both Wifi and Ethernet were enabled in the config.
Also: any cheap 10/100 5-port switch (20 euros) will do the job if you want to throttle the network speed. You just connect 1 ethernet to your Gigabit switch and the other tyo your Devialet. NOTE: I have not needed my 10/100 switch since I disabled Wifi (and since the latest OS upgrade).

Thank you very much for the reply. I have already disabled wifi in config file. As of now I dont have any issue using Roon.
I read a network switch will improve or enhance sound quality compared to using default router provided by internet service provider.

I have downgraded the firmware 7.1.3. based on suggestion and never updated it. Which firmware version you are suggesting or using?

Thanks
Rlal
I am using the latest firmware which was released last week (I have the 220). I'm not sure changing a switch will produce audible effects. In your shoes, I would run some trials with equipment you can return, just in case the results are inconclusive.
(16-Oct-2020, 20:42)pvanosta Wrote: I am using the latest firmware which was released last week (I have the 220). I'm not sure changing a switch will produce audible effects. In your shoes, I would run some trials with equipment you can return, just in case the results are inconclusive.

For 220 latest firmware make sense, I have 120 and many prefer this firmware over latest.
Do we need to use poE (power over Ethernet) or just port type network switch for using with Devialet?  Sorry if it is a dump question.

Thanks
Rlal
Given the choice, I would stick with 'regular' ethernet (Dev => ethernet cable => gigabit switch => ethernet cable => Roon Core . Power over ethernet can introduce unwanted noise/jitter, based on what I've read. YMMV.
(16-Oct-2020, 21:57)pvanosta Wrote: Given the choice, I would stick with 'regular' ethernet (Dev => ethernet cable => gigabit switch => ethernet cable => Roon Core . Power over ethernet can introduce unwanted noise/jitter, based on what I've read. YMMV.

Thank you very much. I will do the same.

Thanks
Rlal